musicians/singers who were rumored to join bands but did not

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Say It Right, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired Thread Starter

Steve Hackett wanted Paul Carrack for GTR, presumably before Mike & the Mechanics snapped him up. Steve Howe was insistent on Max Bacon. Carrack obviously appeared on Hackett's 1st Genesis Revisited. So, there's the connection.

2. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Not sure if this counts but David Byrne has spoken in the past of Brian Eno's attempts during the Remain In Light sessions to co-opt the Talking Heads into becoming his back-up band.

3. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

B.J. Wilson to drum for Led Zeppelin

4. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Paul Rodgers has also stated Neal Schon asked him to join what eventually became Journey.

5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I don't, but we're talking about false rumors here. Whether he was considered for a more permanant spot in the band, I don't know.

6. csampson

csampson Forum Resident

I recall that Chris Cornell had auditioned as well.

7. Say It Right

Clapton wanted 17 year old Neal Schon in his band, but Santana won out. Think that part of it was that father Schon didn't approve of EC's lifestyle, at the time.

Here's something that turned up on a search:
    http://www.yesfans.com/showthread.php?28389-Greg-Lake-playing-bass-for-The-WHO

8. jackinbox

jackinbox Forum Resident

Wasn't Randy Bachman also supposed to join The Beach Boys around the time of "Keepin' The Summer Alive"? I know he did some guitar work on that album, but I recall reading in a Beach Boys book that he was asked to join and that he considered it.

9. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

Neal Schon considered joining Derek and The Dominos but chose Santana over them. There's also drummer Aynsley Dunbar who was considered for King Crimson, and The Jimi Hendrix Experience.

10. Rosco IV

Rosco IV Active Member

Stevie Nicks wanted to join Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers but Tom refused her.

His explanation: "there's no girls in The Heartbreakers."

11. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Among prospective replacements for Peter Gabriel in Genesis were Allan Clarke, Steve Gould, Mike d'Abo and Mick Rogers, to name a few...

12. Rodney Toady

Wasn't Howard Werth once mooted as the replacement for Jim Morrison in The Doors?

13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Floyd wanted Jeff Beck to replace Syd, but did not think he would do it. He says now he would have joined Floyd in a second.

14. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

Rory Gallagher was rumoured to be Mick Taylor's replacement in the Rolling Stones.
    Jess Roden was rumoured to be Jim Morrison's replacement in the Doors.

15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Tony Banks also said that Nick Lowe sent in a demo, ironic considering that Lowe later slagged Genesis in the press.

16. The Rush Fan

The Rush Fan Well-Known Member

I also heard a (very false) rumor that Neil Peart was going to join The Who on tour in the '80's at some point.

17. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

After Zal Yanovsky left the Lovin' Spoonful, Frank Zappa asked him to join the Mothers of Invention, but Zally declined.

18. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Zakk Wylde in the Allman Brothers Band
    Clem Burke in the Ramones

Each played one or two gigs and screwed the proverbial pooch.

19. pantofis

pantofis Senior Member

I once read somewhere that John Lennon (plus George and Ringo) wanted to replace Paul McCartney with Klaus Voorman and carry on as the Beatles... one of the reasons Paul sued them then.

20. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I was just about to mention that one. I remember hearing that one. Also, I remember the Greg Lake replacing Entwistle in the Who rumour. It definitely was a rumour at the time.

21. Say It Right

22. Say It Right

After the original Crimson fell apart, Aynsley Dunbar asked Robert Fripp to join Blue Whale. Fripp, in turn, asked Dunbar to join Crimson. Around the same time, Fripp was also approached to replace Peter Banks in Yes, before Steve Howe got the call.

Was this before Gilmour was performing with them? DG played a number of shows with them, while Syd was still in the band.

Not ironic at all. It's probably a good bit of the reason he slagged them in the press. :biglaugh:

23. Rodney Toady

Bass player Rick Kemp (later of Steeleye Span) also almost became a member of King Crimson in 1972.

24. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

some of these are pretty far out so I will add one that I thought Crosby Stills Nash was considering adding John Sebastian early in their career.

25. cincyjim

cincyjim Senior Member

When forming Bad Company, Paul Rodgers supposedly recruited Roger Hodgson to be the bass player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.