musicians/singers who were rumored to join bands but did not

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Say It Right, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

When Ronnie James Dio left Rainbow at the end of 1978, Ritchie Blackmore contacted Ian Gillan about replacing him but Gillan refused.

2. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

In his autobiography, Who Am I?, Pete Townshend states that before settling on Keith Moon, The Who had auditioned a number of drummers including Mitch Mitchell.

3. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

I remember Cozy Powell was mentioned (by a radio DJ) as a possible replacement before Zeppelin officially disbanded.

4. There was a rumour that Del Shannon would have been Roy Orbison's replacement in the Traveling Wilburys, but I've since read this wasn't actually the case.

5. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Micky Dolenz says that he also got an invite to be the Mothers' drummer at some point.

6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

If Frank had heard the Headquarters sessions that invitation would have been withdrawn :p

7. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Probably prompted by Petty and Lynne working on his album around then. Roger McGuinn was also floated (legitimately or not) as a possible Wilbury.

8. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Rod Stewart was rumored to be joining the Faces about 10 different times over the last several years... :mad:

9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I have read he was also considered for David Bowie/Spiders From Mars but rejected because he didn't look the part.

10. waxtomcat

waxtomcat Forum Resident

Mick Jones was supposed to be in General Public after The Clash broke up. He did play guitar on some of the tracks from the first album, but he was never officially a member.

11. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

This one's apparently true. Saw one of Neil's last Crazy Horse shows before he joined, and during his acoustic set he mentioned that he was joining CSN, and that he was second choice behind Sebastian. Then he played "Helpless", which he said he'd just written.

12. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Hank Marvin asked to join Beatles.

13. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

Dave Walker from Savoy Brown replaced Ozzy Osbourne in Black Sabbath when he was briefly out of the band before the recording of Never Say Die! Thy recorded a couple of demos but was fired quickly. From the demo I've heard of Junior's Eyes, it sounds as if Sabbath went back to Bluesier Rock. Like a real heavy Savoy Brown. It would've been interesting to hear but would've been very wrong for the band at the time.

14. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Nick, in his Basher phase, doesn't exactly jibe with what Genesis was doing at the time.

15. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

A couple of others...

--Clarence Clemons joining the Grateful Dead. He sat in with them quite a bit during the ESB hiatus (plausible and intriguing)
    --Adam Lambert fronting Queen (laughable)

16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Wasn't there some talk about George Michael joining Queen after the Wembley performance? I seem to recall that.

17. Rosco IV

Rosco IV Active Member

Also, when George walked out of the "Let It Be" project, Lennon quipped that if he did not return, they would, and I quote, "get Clapton".

18. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired Thread Starter

Rick Wakeman was offered a chance to join the Spiders from Mars on the exact same day that he was invited to join Yes.

19. glea

glea Forum Resident

Dave says the whole thing was just a ploy to get Ozzie back. They had told him there was a whole album written... he found out it was just jamming with Oz mumbling over the tracks! He didn't expect it would last.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.