Black Sabbath - 2012 LP Boxset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deuce66, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Exactly. Eil.com can be high priced on some stuff. They do have reasonable prices, like on some Thin Lizzy, but you really have to dig around...

2. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I dont have ANY sabbath on vinyl, so the new box is a good choice to me?
    (I want the 1st pressings but I need a second job lol)

so the order of quality of sound of sabbath on vinyl could be this:
    1. vertigo 1st uk
    2. new 2012 box
    3. rhino 2011

3. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

I would say thats about right. Seriously, if you look around on eBay, you can pick up the original Vertigos for decent money. Some of mine are the later "Spaceship" labels instead of the swirl but use the original stampers.

4. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

EDIT: Question already answered...

5. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

oh! I have other question related with your response; the later "spaceship" vertigos... sound is exactly the same than 1st vertigo swirls ???
    because if you say that I can get vertigos on ebay for decent money, you mean NOT the swirls right? you mean for the "spaceships". thanks

6. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

I have the Debut and Paranoid on Spaceship label and they use the same stampers as the swirl labels and yes, they do sound the same as the swirls. You can also get the swirls for decent money if you want that label it depends on whos bidding. I got Vol.4 for £25 GBP in EX condition.

7. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

sorry what you mean with "stampers" ? nice to know that are the same sound!
    some high bids here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-SABBA...61151978979?pt=UK_Records&hash=item3ccddef5e3

8. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

Amazon US has temporarily stopped selling this box due to issues experienced by customers. The lone reviewer mentioned the box set was damaged prior to shipment during manufacturing. Buyer beware?

9. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

And I got my copy from Amazon.de in Germany and it made it to me in perfect shape. It took quite some time to get to me, and you could tell it went through a lot to get from Germany to the US, so I am not sure about the "Buyer beware" indication (even if you did put a question mark).

10. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

I'm glad you got your box safe and sound. I was just relating what I saw on the Amazon US page. the current price on Amazon.de is almost tempting.

11. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

I mean they use the same stamping plates to press the Vinyl as the earlier Vertigo Swirl label copies. So essentially they are the same record with a spaceship label. Wow, that Paranoid auction is at a crazy price, im just glad i have the full set now, i guess the prices will keep rising the rarer and more collectible they get.

12. luxen

luxen Forum Resident

This weekend I traded some German SWIRLs (and some other records) in (and some EUROS) for original UK 1st pressings of S/T (NM-), Paranoid (Mint-) and Vol. 4 (NM-).

The difference in sound is UNBELIEVABLE....the Paranoid blows everything away I have heard before...it is a true 1st press with "apparently" only 3 songs on side B. On later pressings the songs are separated....incredible.

The biggest difference in sound is with Vol. 4...the UK 1st pressing sounds absolutely fabulous...like you are IN THE STUDIO...

I now have a MINT- German original SWIRL left and I could sell it...:)

Also I ordered a UK 1st of Master of reality. If it beats my German SWIRL, I will sell MOR too (MINT-)...:)

13. luxen

luxen Forum Resident

Hmmm...I disagree...I had the Spaceship Paranoid (UK) and the German SWIRL knocks it down easily...what to speak of the UK 1st...they may have the same stamper but they don´t really sound the same...

14. luxen

luxen Forum Resident

Wow...I just finished listening to Vol.4....It has the words "Porky" & "Pecko" hand-etched in the groove, so it really is a true 1st pressing...

The sound is so good...in fact, the German 1st SWIRL sounded not even slightly as good as this...what went wrong???

All pressings (except the newer RHINO by Kevin Gray) sound "muffled" and dark compared to this "revelation"...

15. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

how does paranoid sound on the download (what format is it)? that's the one that keeps disappointing. all the SACDs sound nice, except Paranoid. i like the 2009s except Paranoid. for some reason, they reused the '96 transfer. this time no dropouts, but NR still smothers Planet Caravan. i was beginning to think that they don't have the master or it's damaged. it would be great if someone could post a clip or two from the Paranoid download.

16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

I bought this from Amazon.ca and received it yesterday, let me cut right to the chase and explain why I'm returning this set.

1- The pressing quality is poor, the level of surface noise/pops/mistracking is totally unacceptable for a new release (I checked the ST/Paranoid/Master/Vol.4 and Technical E)
    2- Paper dust from the inner sleeves especially those with the swirls
    3- GZVinyl in the deadwax

new vinyl is so frustrating......

17. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

A humble request, if I may ask: while you still have the set, would you get the download and tell us something about it?

18. Deuce66

the download is mp3 only, I'm not going to bother with this maybe some of the other members here who bought the set would like to comment?

19. luxen

luxen Forum Resident

Man...this really sucks.

GZ??? What a ridisculous choice...

I am happy that I invested in the UK 1st´s...

20. Deuce66

wise choice

21. zen

zen Senior Member

So sorry. This is why I prefer CD's.

22. EL34

EL34 Forum Resident

Not sure if I'd make the jump from one bad box set to a preference for CDs. I have picked up 5 box sets over the last year and all have had excellent vinyl, with only one having less than ideal packaging. CDs have numerous benefits, but there is plenty of newly pressed vinyl out there that is stellar.

motorcitydave likes this.
  23. Deuce66

That's true however a major label like Universal should be able to produce a top notch vinyl product by using the best suppliers the market place has to offer and not one who's reputation is spotty at best, in this case they failed to produce high quality sleeves (inner and outer), the pressings are noisy and they only offered mp3's which is ridiculous. This is like the Beatles/Rainbo fiasco, total amateur hour.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  24. motorcitydave

Sorry to hear this. Well, I guess they just don't care about quality and have no remorse about ripping the fans off...

25. motorcitydave

Good to know. It sounds like out of all the UK pressings, that's the one to get...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.