Crucial Reggae

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Jackie P

Jackie P Music Addict Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Blackheart Man - Bunny Wailer (Solomonic)

This classic has proven it's worth over the years to me and is, both musically and lyrically, one of the best Jamaican records I have ever heard.

This beautifully crafted album was released in Jamaica on Bunny Wailer's own Solomonic label, and in 1976 on Island UK, (with one track slightly edited in length).

Players of Instruments:

DJ LX, adamos, Malarkey and 45 others like this.
  2. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

This version of Dreamland is one of my favorite Reggae recordings of all time

DJ LX, Swansong, Jackie P and 2 others like this.
  3. Jackie P

Another unmissable album that featured one of the very best vocal harmony recordings by anyone has to be...

[​IMG]

Heart Of The Congos - The Congos

Classic Roots Reggae, produced by Upsetter Lee Perry

The LP was issued in the UK on Go Feet with a slightly different sleeve than original Jamaican one. The Go Feet record added sounds/cow bells etc in the mix.

The original authentic Upsetter mix (plus a few additional tracks that were not on the original single LP like 12" disco mixes etc) are collected on this essential double LP, issued by Blood & Fire

[​IMG]

4. bluesbro

Well, this one is my #1 reggae album of all time. I got the B&F CD, one of those things I'll gather from the house in case of a fire.

5. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I agree; the Blood & Fire release is one of the most essential re-issues of all time across any musical genre.

6. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

Burning Spear - Marcus Garvey

7. dsky

dsky Little Blue Light

Word. I'd take "Marcus Garvey" over the Congos LP or "Blackheart Man". I used to really like "Heart of the Congos" but now prefer the two "Super Apes". "Blackheart Man" is good, but again, not a favorite of mine.
    The early Burning Spear discs ("Marcus Garvey", "Man in the Hills", "Social Living" etc.) Yabby You's "Jesus Dread" double CD on blood & fire, the Abyssinians "Satta Massagana" and Hugh Mundell's "Africa Must be Free" get my nod as absolutely crucial reggae discs. There are many more though - love roots reggae.

8. dsky

dsky Little Blue Light

Lee Perry's "Voodooism" compilation, Augustus Pablo's "King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown", Black Uhuru's "Black Sounds of Freedom"....

screw_squirrel likes this.
  9. Jackie P

More Rock Steady maybe than Reggae but here's a Studio One beauty, deserving of anyone's attention. It's full of delightful vocal harmonies, sung over seriously top notch original Studio One rhythms.

[​IMG]

On Top - The Heptones

10. bluesbro

Man, the Studio One CD sound sucks big time. May be one of the worst sounding CDs I have, like played from a Mickey Mouse boombox in the bottom of an empty pool full of cardboard boxes.

Timeless music though. Chances of a well mastered version = 0

11. Jackie P

That's a shame. It's usually bad vinyl pressings are the problem, especially so with Studio One / Coxsone. The copy I have is a very clean (crackle & hiss free) US LP pressing.

Man at C&A and skiddlybop like this.
  12. Jackie P

Now listening to one of the best ever Rock Steady compilations.

Full to the brim with cool and classic Duke Reid / Treasure Isle 45's, and all recorded 1966-1968, just prior to early Reggae sounds surfacing....

[​IMG]

Hottest Hits (From The Vaults Of Treasure Island)

Issued on vinyl many years ago by Virgin [Front Line], so none of the usual surface noise problems. This collection has probably been issued on CD but I can't say for sure.

BroX and Campbell Saddler like this.
  13. bluesbro

Never seen this on CD myself

Graham likes this.
  14. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

All the early Burning Spear CDs that I've heard on the Mango label sound very nice, including the compilation, Reggae Greats.

15. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

I just ordered the 3CD Lee "Scratch" Perry Arkology set off of amazon. Can't wait to hear it!

Timos, Jackie P, CDFanatic and 4 others like this.
  16. greenwichsteve

greenwichsteve Well-Known Member

Max Romeo War In A Babylon and Black Uhuru Sinsemilla are pretty crucial

VinylCountdown, Swansong, DEG and 6 others like this.
  17. dsky

dsky Little Blue Light

That's a sweet set. It's what got me into reggae back in my University days. Enjoy.

18. skinnyev

skinnyev Forum Resident

I've been on a big reggae kick lately, there is a vinyl label that's rereleased a bunch of Lee Perry and King Tubby's early dub stuff and they're in the $10 - $14 dollar range. I picked up Super Ape, Blackboard Jungle and Rocker's Uptown all for dirt cheap and they sound great. They say ClockTower records, I'm not sure if that's the original label or a Toronto label or what but I'm loving them all.

Jackie P likes this.
  19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

You don't have a real reggae collection unless you own this one. The great old school dub sound. This is the sound you heard ringing through he streets of Kingston's ghettos. Raw and brilliant.
    [​IMG]

20. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

This is an essential collection that neatly rounds up almost all the Wail N Soul M releases The Wailers recorded. It's a great way to start with rock steady, the sound is excellent, and the sequencing is perfect. If only all reggae singles collections were as well done as this.

[​IMG]

21. Jackie P

Of all the recordings made by The Wailers their own self produced singles are, and always have been amongst my favourite ever Wailers records. I have a number of the tracks from this wonderful period on 7" single - Hypocrites, Nice Time, Burial, Bus Dem Shut (Pyaka), Lyrical Satirical I (instrumental), Bend Down Low, Mellow Mood, Stir It Up & Thank You Lord (many of which were later re-recorded for other producers) so I never got round to picking up this CD compilation - but it does look like an absolute killer Rock Steady compilation.

Unfortunately these recordings are probably the least heard/well known period of all The Wailers output. For anyone with a passing interest in how the Wailers sounded in this short spell of having their label and producing themselves I thoroughly recommend rectifying the situation pronto.

VinylCountdown, msza and rxcory like this.
  22. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

They are great singles. I have Complete Wailers 9: Freedom Time on vinyl which has several of them. I actually think it's great that these singles are little known, they are hidden gems and are unlikely to be spoilt by being overplayed. And several are on Songs Of Freedom, which is absolutely essential too, especially for its rounding up of pre-Island Tuff Gong singles. The Universal Box Sets have them too but the mastering is better on Songs Of Freedom:

[​IMG]

23. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

I think this album is often overlooked but very good: Pablo Moses - Revolutionary Dream

Sabu, kinkling, Guy E and 2 others like this.
  24. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Man, I really miss Blood & Fire! The loveliness of their Congos reissue really can't be overstated. In addition, I'd also suggest the Glen Brown/King Tubby compilation Termination Dub, one that I've probably played at least once a month since I got it in '96:

[​IMG]

I'd also highly recommend this Tommy McCook (ex-Skatelite) 2-fer:

[​IMG]

25. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I prefer A Song as my go-to Pablo Moses, but he is quality; criminally overlooked and deserves to put in the same light as Burning Spear.

Another one for me is Culture's The International Herb, but there are 3 or 4 other Culture releases which are just about as good.

Another one is Justin Hines and the Dominoes Jezebel. "Natty Take Over" is one of my all-time fav tracks.

I'm going to have to check out that U-Roy. Sounds like just my cuppatea.

There used to be a syndicated reggae program called Midnight Dread presented by Doug Wendt, and he used to play early reggae/rocksteady covers of Beatles and Motown songs. If there are anthologies that collect these songs, they would be on my crucial list. I either have to find them or create them from my old broadcast cassettes of his show. Amazing versions. I also wish I could find The King Kong Collection on CD. I used to have it on vinyl, but haven't found it in any format lately. Tremendous collection.

VinylCountdown likes this.