The High Frequency Response Test (8-22 kHz)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by weirdo12, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Have you tried listening to the test tones on audiocheck.net site? If so - what was the result. Sadly I am in the 15-14 KHz range. It was great fun doing the test with one of my teenage sons - DAD, YOU CAN'T HEAR THAT!?!? :D I can't recall what his number was...

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencycheckhigh.php

2. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

17 kHz, dang it.

3. Spek

Spek Well-Known Member

Based on the demographic I perceive on this board, 14-15 kHz would be on the high side of what I would expect for most. The problem with these tests is that a lot of times sound cards can put out distortion that is audible. My sound card makes some kind of noise even at the higher frequencies that I know I can't hear (22 kHz). It's amazing how quickly high frequencies fade with age though.

Yikes:
    [​IMG]

4. Wow, nice test. I can hear 21k but it's very "annoying". At 22k, I can't actually "hear" it, but get that "feeling" something is there and it's annoying. By the time it gets to 18k, the tone is easier to hear and I have to turn the volume down to make it less annoying. Guess my ears haven't gotten too bad in 45 years. :D But I bet if I had a cold or something, it would be much less when I'm "stuffy".
    Note that I can't hear ANYTHING above 15k with the PC speakers - but can only hear the higher tones with good heaphones directly from the sound card (which is capable of the higher frequencies). So yes, beware of playback hardware limitations.

-B

Vidiot likes this.
  5. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

15 khz at most.

I downloaded the signal generator - very neat - great for checking frequency response of speakers!

6. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

7. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

12 k. But my cat was sitting in my lap and sat up as soon as the file started, so I'm pretty sure something was coming out of my speakers higher than that. I've known for a long time my ears are shot, it's never stopped me from enjoying music.

8. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

16k on computer speakers

9. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

On my computer speakeres I can only get 13K but I have test tone CDs at home where I fair better. I think 13K may be the upper limit these speakers can produce.

10. screw_squirrel

screw_squirrel Forum Resident

18kHz with Sennheiser HD 600

11. MusicIsLove

MusicIsLove formerly CSNY~MusicIsLove

This is going to prove those who claim to hear things on such high frequencies with certain masterings/resolution wrong. :)

Jayseph likes this.
  12. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

I can hear 15khz out of my crappy flatscreen monitor speaker at work and my workstation fans are pretty loud...also just getting over having one ear completely filled with fluid so I have a constant high frequency ring still going on in that ear. I'll give this test a listen at home with headphones and in a week or two when I'm not so congested and see if I can get any higher.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Researchers have said that they believe cats and dogs can hear pretty flat out to 40kHz. I suspect they may be the only ones who can truly appreciate SACD.

14. Burnt

Burnt Well-Known Member

18KHz right down to 8KHz. I'm a little sick and that is messing with my hearing as I knew before I took the test and I listened to it on a crappy laptop with integrated audio.

15. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

Ok, 17khz. I used my laptop through my ADLGT40 and amazingly enough it didn't pass the anti-aliasing test. The laptop soundcard did better, but also failed, then I used my new Schiit Magni/Modi combo with my Sennheiser 650HD headphones and after listening several times it's definitely 17khz. I might be able to hear 19 or 18 but the guy talks too quickly, I could hear nothing, then the signal I might be able to tell it's on or off. Like someone said earlier, you have a feeling something is "there" but you just can't hear it yet...like air. Anyway, I'm still congested so I'll try again in a week or so to see if it improves. I guess at age 36 with all the concerts, loud cars, and DJing I've done I'm lucky to still have 17khz.

16. MusicIsLove

MusicIsLove formerly CSNY~MusicIsLove

Here's how much we can truly hear:

[​IMG]

Vidiot likes this.
  17. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just to be clear, that was not my intention. There are a number of other threads for people to debate that. I just think it's very interesting and informative.

18. Bull Moose

Bull Moose Well-Known Member

My dog certainly doesn't appreciate my Santana Caravanserai SACD. The crickets at the beginning freak her out.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Maybe she's hearing things you can't. If you could hear them, you might freak out, too.

20. Bull Moose

Bull Moose Well-Known Member

Yeah. Maybe there is some weird high frequency info in there.

21. noladaoh

noladaoh Retired

54 and 18K. Guess I'm doing OK.

22. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

In a similar vein, "The Mosquito"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mosquito

23. bigtyke66

bigtyke66 Forum Resident

16kHz. Late 50s with much Zep, Stones, and Who abuse over the years, so I'm pleasantly surprised my threshold is as high as that.

24. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

11 khz Played drums from 14-50, wonder if that affected my hearing at all!!!!!!!!!

25. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

i started hearing it somewhere between 21kHz and 20kHz both with my headphones and with my speakers. wow was that painful

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.