More Rory Gallagher reissues coming in Summer 2013

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew Smith, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Senior Member Thread Starter

I've heard through a very good source (Rory's nephew Daniel) that the last three Rory Gallagher albums that have yet to be reissued/remastered by Sony Music will be released in June 2013 (although that date may change).

These are the follow-ups to the last two batches of remasters that we saw last year. The three albums in question are 1980's Stagestruck (Live album), 1987's Defender and 1990's Fresh Evidence.

I presume like the two previous batches that these will feature the original mixes, and not the 1998/99 remixes, although Stagestruck wasn't remixed at all, but will still feature new remastering and updated packaging, as will Defender and Fresh Evidence.

Amazon have yet to list these items for pre-ordering.

Alan2 likes this.
  2. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Good news, given the quality of the first two batches.

Jgirar01 likes this.
  3. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Sweet, more good news.

4. Did you get the chance to ask Daniel Gallagher about any other potential releases, like more Rory shows on CD or DVD/Blu-ray, or anything from the Taste days?

Thanks.

5. Andrew Smith

Sorry, but I didn't, although that does sound like a good idea. The Taste albums have been neglected. It was on the official Rory Gallagher internet forum where he told me.
    The link is here...
    http://forum.rorygallagher.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2842&start=10

6. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Cool news, thanks for that update. Daniel was interested in using some of my live photos (like the one in my avatar) for StageStruck last year but that got put on hold & it seemed like I lost my claim to fame as it were. Would be very cool if this new stuff comes out with some photos I took, I'd be very honored.

7. Andrew Smith

Join the Rory Gallagher official internet forum (if you haven't already) and send a private message to the user who calls himself "Jay Jay". You'll see a comment he made on my link above. He is very close to Daniel, so if you ask him to ask Daniel about your photos I'm sure you'll get a reply, either from Jay Jay relaying a message from Daniel or maybe even Daniel himself. Have you got the original negatives of these photos transferred to digital, or are they just digital scans of the printed photos? Original negative scans would be a lot better.

8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks, yeah, I am on the forum. I think it was Jay Jay who got me in touch with Daniel last year, I asked up there if they might want to use any of my photos. So I have been in direct contact with Daniel, sent him hi-res scans of my photos, first via email then on CD (the files were too big to email in hi-res). This was before the last round of remasters came out last year. Daniel was thinking of using some for StageStruck but as it turned out that release got canceled/pushed back so none got used. Hopefully Daniel will let me know eventually what the scoop is once plans get firmed up. I don't want to bug him but I'll give him a shout in a couple months if I don't hear anything I guess. I haven't been up to the forum, or talked to Daniel, since the last round of CDs came out, so your news about this in this thread was the first I heard. I'm excited!

My scans are from printed photos btw, not negatives. I do not have a negative scanner.

9. Andrew Smith

If you've got the negatives, just take them to your local photo developing outlet and ask them to scan the negatives and put them onto a CD. The photos will look a lot better and will be more impressive if Daniel sees them. I don't want to change the topic of this thread, but if you've got the negatives, these should always be the source when converting photos to digital. Scanning the printed photo should only be an option if you've lost the negatives, or the negatives have been severely damaged. Trust me on this one.

10. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Whats this Rory website link ?

11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I'm just bummed that more material from the Irish Tour '74 shows hasn't been released. Are the tapes missing? They could make for a great box set.

John Fell, MarkO and recroom like this.
  12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks for the advice - I agree with you - but he's already got the scans to use (plus I actually spent a lot of time rescanning the photos at a higher res for him than the old JPG scans I originally emailed him to look at). I think they look fine for production on the small CD booklet format, it's not like these are getting blown up to a huge size. If he gets back in touch and tells me that he wants any particular shots in better quality (like from the negatives like you suggest) then I'll do my best to oblige him though. I have the negs safely tucked away in one of my concert photo boxes and if he wants scans done from those I can get it done.

Btw, a friend of mine wanted a big poster size made a couple years ago from one of the shots; I did have that poster made from the negative, looks pretty cool, although somewhat grainy due to the film that I used back then (400 "ASA" pushed to 800, in order to shoot in low light).

13. Andrew Smith

Make sure you keep all your negatives. Provided they are in good condition, they are more important than the prints. I really hope some of your concert photos get onto the Stagestruck reissue. Even just one would be interesting to see. You're very lucky to have seen him live. People of my generation (I'm 33) will never have the chance to see such a great performer play live.

14. Andrew Smith

15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I was already a fan just having the albums up to that point but seeing him play live is what turned me into a HUGE fan. He had a very real in the moment, incendiary playing style, giving it all as it were, no posing, just amazing. I'm sorry you never got a chance to see him, in small venues he was really something. I also saw him open up in arenas for Rush (if you can believe that) and although he was great as always his performance didn't translate excitement-wise in that kind of large arena setting, at least not for me, after seeing him in small clubs.

If you haven't seen the shots that I'm hoping some make it into StageStruck (taken in 1983) and are curious to see, I have some up at the Rory forum. This link (page 11 of that thread) near the bottom has a blowup of my avatar:
    http://forum.rorygallagher.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1249&start=100

The next 2 or 3 pages in that thread have some more shots from the same show. I also put some up on our forum here in a concert photo thread but can't remember where that is.

16. Andrew Smith

Those photos of Rory Gallagher that you posted are fantastic! They give you an idea of how much stage presence he actually had. I'm just thinking that Daniel may want photos shot during the Stagestruck period (1979/80), although that might not matter. I can't believe how good they are. They should all be released in some form or another, whether it be in a CD booklet, in a book about Rory or available on the official Rory Gallagher website, under the "Images" section found here...

http://www.rorygallagher.com/#/media/images/live

17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

If I remember right I think originally Daniel said he was thinking of using some for JINX since it was the same time period but then he said he'd rather use the shots for StageStruck. The photo in my avatar (which is truncated here on the new forum), with Jerry's face on the left screaming in jamming ecstacy, both guys with hair & sweat flying, facing each other...unbelievable....I think is the best shot I ever took. Luck was with me on that one that's for sure. I feel compelled to try to get that "out there" for people to see somehow, wish they would use it for some kind of release. As a fan myself I know I would dig seeing that shot. A friend of mine prefers what I think is the first shot of the evening, where Rory is holding the guitar in one hand, kind of yelling out a "how you doing" or something like that (too long ago to really remember). That's the one that he had blown up into a big poster.

Btw, I mispoke about the year of my photos, I said '83 above. The show was actually in September of '82.

18. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Nice to see Rory's catalog getting the treatment it deserves. Such an underrated artist. I also would love to see some vault releases.

19. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Excellent news, I loved last year's discs.
    On a similar note: Which is the preferred book on Rory? The one by Gerry McAvoy or Marcus Connaughton?

20. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

I would go with McAvoy, they were on the road a long time together and were close friends.

21. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

22. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Any word on these new re-issues?
    I enjoy the ones released thus far and have picked up Blueprint and s/t on LP. How are the other Music on Vinyl issues?

23. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Bring on some Taste !
    Why they don't put out a DVD of Taste ? There is surely enough footage of Rory with Taste. I have seen some brilliant stuff on youtube.

celticbob likes this.
  24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Last I heard (in April) they were working on a possible June release for the next round, but that the label may push this back to the fall.

25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I could be mis-remembering but I think the powers that be did try to release some live Taste (EG: Isle of Wight on DVD) but were unable to workout a financial deal with whoever actually owns that film. Or maybe it is still in the works, trying to reach some kind of arrangement. I'm not sure. If anyone knows the scoop feel free to let us know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.