Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #44)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

How is this van Cliburn set? Your comment, George?

[​IMG]

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Haven't ordered it, as I am not a fan of the pianist.

3. coopmv

Not a total surprise, as I have always thought he might be somewhat overrated ...

4. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Still, my point stands. You have four holidays during the winter, one during the spring (or two because I believe educational institutions and most federal employees have Good Friday off?), one during the summer and two during the autumn and they're all nicely spread apart. We have three in the winter, four in the spring and only one in the summer (and that during normally the coolest and wettest part of the season), our only holiday in seven months before Christmas! No wonder too many workers here suffer from stress and overwork...

5. sgb

sgb Senior Member

[​IMG]

I just finished listening to this, a recording that was recommended to me by a friend in NJ. He was right.

6. coopmv

I don't think Good Friday is a national holiday in the US. It is a holiday for the stock market - perhaps it is a day of atonement for their unrelenting greed ...

7. coopmv

No picture.

8. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Fixed

9. sgb

sgb Senior Member

It's not, and it should be noted that ONLY Federal employees have the benefit of getting some of the official (Federal) holidays off — Veterans Day comes to mind. I was shocked to see that my bank was actually opened for Mardi Gras this year, as they have always been closed in the past. They have been taken over recently by an out-of-state bank, though. Other states, Like Massachussets celebrate their own special holidays. I enjoyed having Patriots Day off when I lived up there. Of course, US Postal Service employees will soon be working 4 day weeks every week since every route around here officially has two carriers.

10. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

11. coopmv

I know for sure Columbus Day is a state bank holiday for NY, CT and probably NJ as well.

12. coopmv

BTW, this was the set that cost me $1 plus shipping ...

13. George P

Mine was cheaper. :nyah:

14. coopmv

If you got yours as a gift ...

15. sgb

sgb Senior Member

My bank must be run by Henry Potter since it doesn't penalize its customers with too many "bank" holidays. In fact, they will be open this Monday, formerly known as Lincoln's Birthday, as will the Chase branch in the supermarket near my house. Shockingly, that Chase branch is open six days a week almost every week. When I first moved here decades ago, there were strenuously enforced blue laws that meant that very few stores of any kind could be open on Sundays. Not sure I can remember when that started changing. Just this past year they lifted the ban on buying alcohol on Sundays before noon.

16. coopmv

The same here. Banks are open on Saturday in CT unless Monday is a national holiday. I believe they might be closed today ...

17. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Received mine today from Amazon.co.uk. Presentation is similar to the Rubinstein box - nicely done original jackets, reasonable discographical information, a short essay, and a sturdy (survived a rough trip by the look of the package) and attractive box. The DVD is a 60 minute doc that aired on 'Biography', which I plan to watch tonight. The box appears to follow the trend of using the latest remasters, but I have yet to do a thorough comparison to my 'RCA Victor Van Cliburn Collection' discs, and the book is light on the details.

EDIT: It appears the DVD has been separately released:

http://www.amazon.com/Van-Cliburn-Concert-Pianist/dp/B009PDO98M/ref=pd_cp_mov_2

18. coopmv

I have about a half dozen CD's by van Cliburn, though there is a less than 50% chance I would go for the set. I already have that 80-CD box by Glenn Gould and a pretty sizable collection of piano recordings between my CD's and LP's ...

19. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the Schubert selections from the above set.

20. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from the following twofer - a 1991 recording ...

[​IMG]

21. coopmv

22. George P

Richter's last live performance was (March? October?) 1995, he died two years later. Not sure when his last studio recording was.

23. coopmv

Didn't he give up studio recording much earlier? He much preferred live performance.

24. George P

I have some studio Rachmaninoff recordings from 1983. I don't know how much later than that he recorded in the studio.

25. coopmv

Richter's BBC recordings are supposed to be quite good, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.