Public Enemy: It Takes a Nation of Millions ...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by theholygoof, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theholygoof

theholygoof Forum Resident Thread Starter

Soooo ... looking on the internets, it appears as though there are at least 9 different catalog numbers for It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back.

Even just looking at images of the label, you can tell there are differences -- most obviously, some have the Columbia ring, others don't. But there seem to be other variations, too. I presume this can mean there are different masterings, too?

And, if so, anyone done any testing, or have a mastering to recommend?

2. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I have a vinyl copy of this but will have to look at this. I'm not sure what is recommended or what is an original. I think mine is an original but I'm not certain.

3. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Have any PE albums been reissued recently? Would like to get "Fear Of A Black Planet" on 180g.

4. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I understand the new vinyl does not sound good...

5. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Ugh! Dang. Thanks, jimhb. Used bins here I come...

6. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Yeah, I've heard that 4 Men with Beards is poopy around these parts.

7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The original promo issue is nice, double LP, black and white sleeve, not hugely expensive the last time I looked.

I only seem to have the original UK and Dutch issues of "It Takes A Nation......" no idea why I don't have a US copy unless they don't sound as nice, I've had dozens through my hands, the Simply Vinyl issue is a nice pressing as well, but I'm not sure it sounds as good.

8. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

As the CDs go, I've read that the Polygram reissues that came out after the Columbia CDs share the same mastering. The artwork on the Polygram disc is pretty icky, though - looks like a fuzzy scan.

If someone's got the original Columbia issue, I can post the EAC levels for my Polygram disc but I'm pretty sure they're the same.

9. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

I'd love to hear "Fear of a Black Planet" on 2 x vinyl. Do you have a link for this? I own an original dutch pressing and a rarely played 180g Simply Vinyl reissue (mastered from the cd?).

10. gjkendall

gjkendall Forum Resident

Amazed that a band as influential as PE have not had the reissue campaign treatment!

Even the BBC is using one of theor tracks to advertise the Olympics...

Would love to buy all the albums as nicely remaster 2 disc sets! I only own Fear Of A Black Planet!

11. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

There were supposed to be 2 disc remasters a long time ago. I heard they are in sample licensing issue hell, so these may never happen. :(

12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

People, I love ya (well, most of ya, anyway), but there's no such word as "internets".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internets

14. Solaze

Solaze New Member

The original pressing is all analog and sounds astounding *uk*

15. Zoo Station

Zoo Station Senior Member

16. MichaelSmith

MichaelSmith Forum Resident

17. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

Yep. I've never seen or heard anyone say "internets" as anything other than a joke. Well, apart from George Bush.

18. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I'm OK with the original Columbia CD. It's one of my two or three favorite rap albums. Madonna stole a song from it, you know. Yes, Colin, I'm talking to you.

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

What song? I don't know the PE album...

20. Monosterio

The 13th track, "Security of the First World."

21. Oatsdad

Not sure how that's "stealing a song" anymore than any kind of sampling would be "stealing". Should PE have been credited? Probably, but that issue was more nebulous back then - it took some circa 1990 lawsuits to semi-figure out the issue.

Anyway, if you're gonna accuse someone of stealing, blame Lenny Kravitz - he's the one who took the sample and didn't credit it! :)

22. Monosterio

How did Kravitz steal it? Was he involved in the Madonna recording or did he do it on his own?

23. Oatsdad

Kravitz wrote and produced the song. Madonna wrote some lyrics but most of them were taken from an Ingrid Chavez poem, which Kravitz ALSO stole - Chavez had to sue to get credit.

Not saying Madonna wasn't potentially complicit in this - I have no idea if she was aware of the PE song or the Chavez poem when Kravitz presented "Justify" to her - but based on what I've read, it looks like any potentially theft was committed by Kravitz...

24. Monosterio

Wouldn't be the only musical "theft" he's committed. I'm sure Hendrix has rolled over in his grave a few times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.