Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #45)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Continued from here

Welcome! :wave:

This thread (and the 44 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. Feel free to post what you're listening to, recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, discuss classical works, classical composers, classical performers, etc.

Beginners are especially welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc. We have lots of friendly, respectful and knowledgeable members who will be glad to help you out.

And as always, I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to all of the regulars (you know who you are) that continue to make this thread an enjoyable, civilized and informative experience! You guys are still the best!

:wave:

2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Anyone have this set? Comments would be appreciated. 51I7Qbvk0TL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

3. George P

Dig the cover, but no, I haven't heard it.

4. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

I don't know that set, but I have heard Dutilleux, though probably not since I went to a concert that included his music during my first year at university and had to do a review of it afterwards. I really struggled with the review and write anything meaningful about the concert, as back then I had next to no knowledge or experience of music criticism (my music writing skills have been well and truly hard won) and the essay basically could be boiled down to "well they played well and it was a great performance". Needless to say my tutor wasn't impressed, especially I referred to Dutilleux's music as "avant-garde"; at least it didn't count towards any of my marks!

As far as I remember, I quite enjoyed the music - sort of atonal but with a late romantic and impressionistic flavour with quite colourful orchestration.

5. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I have Bohm (probably least favorite), Norrington, Immerseel, Marriner and Wand; where does this set fit stylistically?

6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

[​IMG]

I have this set by Harnoncourt and the RCO ...

7. George P

Compared to Bohm, Harnoncourt's is "younger" sounding, more energy, faster tempos, more bite. The music sounds alive. Some of his set even sounds Beethovian to me. Next to Harnoncourt, Wand sounds like he's on valium. :) The entire set is on Spotify.

8. coopmv

Did Harnoncourt record the Schubert Symphonies twice with the RCO? I think the set I have is probably the best among all the sets I have ...

9. coopmv

Now playing the following SACD, a recent arrival for a first listen ...
    [​IMG]

10. George P

[​IMG]

Time for some Beethoven Triple Concerto with Richter and the boys.

11. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

I believe this is different packagings of the same recordings.

12. George P

That is correct. There's a couple of overtures in the new set. I bought the old one because I found a VG copy for $11.

13. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Beethoven Violin Concerto

A 2007 version is becoming another favorite of mine (besides the Heifetz of course). It is the Vadim Repin/Vienna Philharmonic/Riccardo Muti on DGG.
    RepinMutiArgerich.jpg
    I think I am going to enjoy this for a long time. Repin put off recording this work until recently. He picked Muti to conduct. The sound is wonderful and Rainer Maillard is the engineer. Repin seems to have great intonation.

It is a two-disc set. The second disc is the Kreutzer Sonata with Martha Argerich.

14. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I also have the Tetzlaff/Zinman Beethoven Violin Concerto and like it. But let's not forget the Arte Nova cover.:)
    [​IMG]

15. WobblyWilly

WobblyWilly Forum Resident

I found this in a thrift store yesterday for U$ 0.25
    [​IMG]

Forgetting price totally, is this a Strawberry...or a lemon? :laugh:

2dollarbin likes this.
  16. John S

John S Forum Resident

Dutilleux's cello concerto in the EMI 20th century masterpieces box. I found it challenging listening. He shares Messiaen's penchant for dense, colorful and often dissonant sonorities. He also adheres to traditional forms, which most certainly Messiaen did not do. I gather Dutilliux is not a terribly prolific composer, due to his severe self criticism.
    I have not heard any of this set, though I would guess Chandos has done a creditable job recording the music.

17. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the enigmatic Berg chamber concerto from the above set.

18. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Just on CD3 of this...

[​IMG]

I was very new to classical music when I went to Italy in 1990 - 10 day trip including Ravenna, verona and Bassano del Grappa.

It happened to be the opera season while I was in Verona and I was lucky enough to get a ticket to see Aida in the amphitheatre.

Absolutely poured down for about 45 minutes beforehand but it started pretty much on time - absolutely fantastic experience.

19. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

A "must have" recording IMO. Although it may have even been better if HVK played the piano on it.:D;)

20. George P

:biglaugh:

21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

For some strange reason, the Triple Concerto never worked for me. The Brahms Double Concerto led by Szell with Rostropovich and Oistrakh is one of my favorite versions.

22. George P

I wish they had thrown it in the Richter ICON box as a bonus.

I listened to the Grieg from that ICON set this morning and found it to be refreshing and romantic. Many reviewers have hated it, calling it mannered.

23. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Given it's very reasonable price at Amazon, I am going to give this one a try. I always thought Zinman was a little racy, though, in the symphonies. My favorite remains Francescatti's w/Walter.

Robin L likes this.
  24. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I love the Zinman Beethoven symphonies. They're one of my favorite cycles

25. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Long time favorite here as well, perhaps the most songful version of all.

sgb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.