Nat King Cole experts, tell me about "Every Time I Feel The Spirit" LP, 1959, amazing stereo sound!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Well now this is weird. This thread made me go down into the basement to dig out my copy. I got one a few years ago from a friend who basically said, 'I have a box of records that I got from someone. Come over and see if there is anything that you want.'

My copy is mono. Vinyl looks like there are some surface scratches. I never played it. The weird part is that the label is an early Capitol rainbow with but the label says 'Made In France' ..... even though everything is in English. Go figure.

The parts used seem to be from American parts if it was made if France. N1/D1 on the lacquers. Scranton 'anvil' in the dead wax and another set of machine stamped numbers in addition to the Capitol master number.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

3. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Hilarious! That's the funniest thing I've read or heard all day!

Guys, I have to admit that I've never listened to this album even though I've loved "Oh Mary, Don't You Weep" since I was a kid. Whenever I think about putting it on, another Cole album always wins out. I'll have to listen to it over the next couple days since we're talking about it now. Unfortunate about the out of phase issue. Not sure how something like that could be missed.

4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I'm not sure how the album could be recorded to two-track in 1958. I mean, it's no easier to haul out an Ampex 350-2 than it is to haul out an Ampex 350-3: same machine, different heads, 1/2-inch tape instead of 1/4" tape, one more piece of electronics -- big deal. Plus, for the stuff apparently done at Universal (as opposed to done "on location"), they definitely had 3-track tape, so....

Anybody know the "why" part of the story?????

Matt

5. Steve Hoffman

No idea. I was so sure there was a three-track on this album that I spent an entire day looking for it (as well as the stereo "ORANGE COLORED GUY") Couldn't find a three-track on GUY, couldn't find it on GOSPEL.

Said right on the tape box at the bottom something like "This is an original 2 tk recording" in John Kraus' handwriting.

ORANGE COLORED GUY was just recorded to two as well, with a bounce for the band vocals. NO idea why either. Just weird.

MLutthans likes this.
  6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I'm not much of a Kenton fan, but there's some really nice stuff on that album. You're right, though - the normally very cute June Christy looks bad in that photo. In the liners, it mentions that she had a bad cold during that concert.

7. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Jazz was popular with college kids in the '50s.

8. MLutthans

So, do any raw "session" 2-track tapes exist on this title, or just the final stereo master, with reverb, etc.? I wonder when the phase issues all got introduced. For instance, on track 1, when I pan the Nat vocal toward the center, the reverb seems to largely cancel, creating a much drier vocal than when played strictly in stereo. Was that a track that was cut at Universal? And they had a phase screw-up there, too, but a different variety? (Very confusing...)

9. Steve Hoffman

There are no raw session tapes, no. If there were, the tape purge at the end of 1959 destroyed them. However, they would have sounded just like the masters. They were recorded with the phase problems, with echo, etc. right on there. As I remember it, the two track reel was heavily edited, each song. The phase issue was at hand right during the recording. Weird stuff.

10. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Okay, I give. What's the Orange Colored Guy a reference to?

11. Steve Hoffman

That's how one of the Iron Mountain goofballs typed in the song "Orange Colored Sky" into the computer. The stereo master was found under that title. Something one doesn't forget.

12. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

I would have taken a snapshot of that with my phone. That's one of those crazy things you just need a picture of.

13. Steve Hoffman

The underpaid and overworked on-the-ball EMI A&R guy I worked with (Jason) was the one who started substituting words on the computer in hopes of finding what I was looking for. He found several missing key songs (and one album) under such misspellings that it would make you just scratch your head. He was the hero of the NAT KING COLE projects. Can't say enough good about the guy.

Such a time wasting mess we had to deal with, some Iron Mountain non-music biz people inputing wrong song titles into a computer program meant to find the right song titles.

I can laugh about it now but in the heat of it, trust me, we were both chain-chewing-Trident-wrecks after months of this weirdness.

.crystalised. and McLover like this.
  14. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Surprised you couldn't do partial searches on titles or use wildcards. Doesn't sound like such a great system. I bet that storage area will become a black hole from which music enters, but never comes out.

15. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

A missing album? Seriously?

16. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

It makes you wonder what else is 'lost' simply because it's misspelled????

17. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Precisely what I was thinking! Clearly the search software seems to be a quite primitive one.

Either that, or when the software did produce an approximate result, the people doing the search let it go because the returned result didn't match exactly the title they were looking for.

18. Steve Hoffman

You must understand, I want exactly the version I want, not any old dub. There are 160 tapes of the song "Stardust" by Nat King Cole in the file. I wanted two of them. Had to go through at least 50 of them to find what I wanted.

And so on. There are 100 tape copies of "Ramblin' Rose". I needed to go through them all to find the "one" I wanted.

That's just me. I'm sure no one ever taxed the system like I did for this SACD/LP series. Dubs wouldn't do. That's where the system has flaws.

See the difference?

19. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

I know you want the session tapes, and I thank you for that. I read your earlier comment to mean something like "I couldn't find the proper tapes because the album was filed as WHERE DIDN'T EVERYONE GO?, or some such thing.

Others may disagree, but knowing what you had to go through to get the proper tapes, it at least becomes somewhat more understandable, in my view, when reissues don't use the tape sources that many here would prefer.

.crystalised. likes this.
  20. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

We thank you for your relentless effort!

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

Well, WELCOME TO THE CLUB three-track version is what I was speaking of. I found ALL of it, first time since 1968. See, for 50 years they had a great system at Capitol. Albums were filed by album number, singles in "phono reels" and outtakes and leftovers by master number. This system was in place and working perfectly even in the 1990s. Then, a new management came in and decided to put everything in Iron Mountain and have them worry about it. Everything was removed from the shelves and dumped in file boxes, out of order. So, no more looking up a song or album by the file number using the legendary card file.

When that went away, so did any chance of finding anything specific (by that I mean a specific tape, not a specific song) without going through hell.

.crystalised. and jtaylor like this.
  22. Steve Hoffman

Just to clear something up lest you think I bitch about this all the time, the great people at Capitol deal with what they have been given with good grace and nice manners. They were all very helpful to us during our Nat King Cole projects time. I couldn't have done anything without them. They also worked miracles for the Gary Lewis & The Playboys and Jay & The Americans projects I worked on there, both involving unearthing rare tapes not used in 40 years.

snkcube, rxcory, Kkfan and 2 others like this.
  23. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Happened to run across this today.

Nat Cole and ensemble singing a medley of Oh Mary, Don't You Weep and Get on Board on an episode of Hollywood Palace that Cole hosted on March 21, 1964.

Right after there's a funny bit between Nat and George Burns, plus a very young Raquel Welch.

24. MLutthans

What a fortuitously placed "play" button! (Sorry....couldn't resist.)
    Screen shot 2013-02-27 at 3.36.32 PM.jpg

25. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

"And there's Patti Page, and I wish she'd marry my son."

"And there's Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks, and I wish they'd marry my son."

Love Nat's reaction to that line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.