What Exactly is Onkyo's "Pure Audio" Mode?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jordanb87, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

With my Arcam a65+ there's a massive, huge, clearly obvious difference when disengaging the tone circuit. I'll use the tone controls when the bass is a bit out of control on the source, or if I'm streaming a particularly bad sounding tune from Spotify. But otherwise on the Arcam I'll keep it disengaged as the tone controls tend to flatten the sound to a large extent.

On my NAD pre-amp, it's a more subtle difference, as the tone controls themselves are fairly non-invasive and only shape the extreme ends of the eq curve, leaving mid range unmolested... I'm guessing between 80 and 14k... as it takes quite a lot of movement on the dials to hear any difference. I actually wish it were more aggressive.

2. renderj

renderj Forum Resident

I also have this receiver and see no reason to upgrade at this time. I listen primarily to records (LPs or "vinyls" if you will).

Do what is right by your own ears. But I find the Pure Audio to be the best setting for stereo recordings, whether analog or digital, with my humble setup. The only other mode I use is the Mono mode for listening to old (obviously) mono records-it helps cancel out some of the noise on older vinyl and "shellacs."

PhilBiker likes this.
  3. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

I've pointed this out to everyone I know who's got one, but nobody else seems to hear it...!

4. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

There's a significant audible difference when switching to Direct/Pure mode on my Onkyo TX-NR3008. I suspect that most of this is due to Direct/Pure mode turning off the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 room EQ. I find that music sounds much more pleasing with Direct/Pure enabled (i.e. with Audyssey OFF).

Brother_Rael and HAmmer like this.
  5. renderj

renderj Forum Resident

I agree with skriefal's post above.

And will everybody else who doesn't own or hasn't heard this receiver quit talking about how surround sound receivers work (or don't work)? This model is not a surround sound device. It is a 2-channel stereo receiver with network capabilities. Just stop it, please.

jlw2000 likes this.
  6. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey all,

Thanks for the responses. For the past week, I've been listening to vinyl with the Pure Audio mode engaged all the time, and I don't think I'll ever go back. It took a few days, but now I really prefer the more natural, direct sound. It's funny, human hearing can be such a subjective thing, but at the same time ears can also be conditioned or learn to like certain things.

7. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

You have a good amp there. Upgrade when you can really afford a big step up, don't get caught in the low-end back n forth so many here engage in.

Slick Willie and renderj like this.
  8. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

I second the positive opinions on the TX-8050. I bought mine to replace and older Onkyo, (which still works perfectly), adding, on a budget, digital inputs as well as a convenient front USB port. I have been nothing but impressed. It reads pretty much any storage device I throw at it, including .wav files from large NTFS formatted drives, has a dead-quiet phono preamp, and quality sounding relays on the speaker/headphone switches (nice solid clicks). Plus the already mentioned "pure audio" mode. A steal at under $250. Maybe you could obtain marginally better sound for a lot more money, but I'd rather spend that on music :) Cheers everyone.

PhilBiker and jordanb87 like this.
  9. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I have it on mine, tell me if ya' hear any difference! I use it to go to stereo quickly.

10. I have a Yamaha AVR with pure direct and it sounds better, but I also have a higher end Technics (gasp! the horrors) receiver, in fact, the last model they ever made (2001-2002 time frame), and it has something where it processes totally straight, display off, no tone, nothing and sounds great.

PhilBiker likes this.
  11. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

In Pure Audio mode on my Onkyo TX-NR805 AVR, the HDMI ports are still active(necessary when feeding DSD audio). The front panel goes dark, composite and component video inputs, bass/treble controls and Audysessy EQ are bypassed. Do I hear a difference between normal, Direct and Pure Audio? Not really but I usually will run the AVR in Pure Audio on most sources just to keep the AVR running just a little cooler. The 805 has a reputation for running hot under normal conditions and HDMI board failures.

12. inperson

inperson Senior Member

This is my most used solid state amp. Selector knob and volume, that's it. I love it and sounds very nice. A bit shy on the bass but with the right speakers I don't miss it and it has a tubey sound. Simple. a100II_super.jpg

motorcitydave likes this.
  13. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I have this one. Excellent amp.

14. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Man, what a good-looking component! I love the simplicity.

15. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

Very elegant. Was this made by http://www.opera-consonance.com/index.htm ?

16. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I can't use the Pure Audio modes on my Onkyo AVRs because it bypasses the sub crossover and I use a sub in my HT and office. My understanding is that the Pure Audio modes on Onkyo receivers, both multichannel and stereo, are well designed and do offer a very direct route from the preamp to the amp with no tone controls in the mix.

17. inperson

inperson Senior Member

18. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Actually our cat had a spell on my cheapy sub and fried it, so now I'm 2 channel, I now have equalizer off and I've tried the pure direct, I notice not as good a soundstage with it engaged, so now it's just stereo, Audessey off, and I'm pretty happy, I may not replace the sub

19. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

The Bryston preamp I use is on the bare bones side regarding features. I do long for bells and whistles. As far as high end audio goes, the manufacturers that utilize all the features you can think of are Accuphase and McIntosh in their preamps.

Since we're talking about Onkyo, I really dig this preamp they currently have on the market. I first heard it at CES 2011. It sounded good to me. It also has the Pure Direct mode...it got a great review in TAS back in 2012.

http://us.onkyo.com/Products/model.php?m=P-3000R&class=Reference&source=prodClass

PhilBiker and Brother_Rael like this.
  20. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

The Oppo 105 has Pure Mode Also

audiomixer likes this.
  21. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

i have a "cheap as chips" onkyo cr-555 dab receiver..and love it. it features a "direct" function that does what it says on the tin...by- passes the tone controls.i have to crank the volume up a bit,but that is a little sacrifice for the gain.

audiomixer, Brother_Rael and HAmmer like this.
  22. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Haha, yes, precisely! Although as someone who now uses an Onkyo TX-NR818 for his all round listening duties, the Pure Audio and Direct modes work extremely well. I don't miss having a regular stereo integrated at all.

23. maui_musicman

maui_musicman Well-Known Member

It likely just by-passes the tone control circuits. The more you process a signal, the worse it sounds. It's passing through more transistors, capacitors, etc. Obviously that's a good thing to bypass.

24. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

I have an Onkyo TX-SR604. The manual says it has 'Pure Audio' mode but not available in North American models, which is where I'm located.
    I use the 'Direct' mode instead and it sounds much better than 'Stereo' mode with EQ disabled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.