Amy Grant - Icon compilation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

For $7.99, another Amy Grant hits compilation will come out on March 12 as part of the Icon series by EMI/Universal and these are the tracks:
    1. Baby Baby (from Heart In Motion)
    2. Every Heartbeat (from Heart In Motion)
    3. I Will Remember You (from Heart In Motion)
    4. Simple Things (from Simple Things)
    5. House of Love (with Vince Gill) (from House of Love)
    6. Takes a Little Time (from Behind The Eyes)
    7. I Will Be Your Friend (from Behind The Eyes)
    8. That's What Love Is For (from Heart In Motion)
    9. Happy (from Simple Things)
    10. Cry a River (from Behind The Eyes)
    11. Somewhere Down The Road (from Behind The Eyes and Somewhere Down The Road)

[​IMG]

2. BradOlson

The compilation that should be put back in print as far as the pop hits are concerned is Greatest Hits 1986-2004 (which will require a new licensing agreement with Warner Bros. for The Next Time I Fall).

3. Rosco IV

Rosco IV Active Member

Any word on whether this includes the album versions or the single remixes that often got airplay on radio and VH1?

4. BradOlson

No idea yet, but most likely the album versions.

5. Rosco IV

Rosco IV Active Member

Either way, this looks like a decent set of her biggest pop hits but most fans own all this material already.
    All the Icon compilations have been pretty skimpy. One for the bargain bins.

6. BradOlson

I agree with you in regards to this new compilation. A reissue of Greatest Hits 1986-2004 and it's accompanying DVD should still be available though as that does have a couple of great tracks that aren't on any other CD.

7. houston

houston Forum Resident

well.....she does look cute on the album cover

8. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

This will bring the number of my Amy Grant "greatest hits" compilations to 3.

9. BradOlson

Soundboy, other greatest hits compilations that have come out besides The Collection and Greatest Hits 1986-2004 are "Greatest Hits" on Sparrow (which came out at the time the remasters came out), Her Greatest Inspirational Songs, Discover Amy Grant and a bunch of others.

10. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

My favourite Amy Grant albums covers...she's a nice looking lady for sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you go to Wikipedia, they show the original alternate cover for her first album

[​IMG]

Makes her look hideous and much older really.

11. BradOlson

I actually have both covers of the debut album on vinyl and a CD using the more common cover but that's for another thread.

12. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

Oh so they did release the alternate cover? Interesting.

13. BradOlson

First pressings use the alternate cover, referred to as the ugly cover. The more common cover was issued in the approx. 1982 , about the time Age To Age came out.

14. BradOlson

Look at this recent photo of the string section recording on her new CD of new music she is working on in her house:
    [​IMG]

15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Looks like a nice collection. I'll have to pick it up.

16. BradOlson

For the most part, if you have at least Heart In Motion, House of Love and Behind The Eyes, you won't need this comp, which will most likely be taken from the remasters. Save your money as you have the albums the bulk of this material is sourced from.

17. power popper

power popper Forum Resident

Brad, thanks for the photo above of the recording session. Imagine having a string section performing in your own home -- or even having enough room in your own home to do this! Ah, the perks of a financially profitable career in the music industry.

I need a good Amy comp from this period, but perhaps I'll try to chase down a used copy of Greatest Hits 1986-2004 instead of the Icon disc. At least this material is still available, and it's likely that casual listeners will pick up this new set during a trip to Target or Walmart. That's not a bad thing.

18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Okay, that's a good, and sound idea….

But I'm a sucker for compilations. :)

19. BradOlson

You are right that Greatest Hits 1986-2004 is the comp that is the better option for people looking for a more definitive comp of the pop years than the Icon comp, which targets the casual fans looking for a comp of only the biggest hits and Icon will suit their purpose perfectly. The comp called "Greatest Hits" is a comp for the casual fans wanting a single disc overview of her whole career but for people like us here, I would recommend "The Collection" for a good comp of the early years and "Greatest Hits 1986-2004" for the pop years.

20. BradOlson

Without a doubt, Amy's career can honestly described as a financially profitable career.

21. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I just hope it's available at Target or Walmart. I can't even find the just-released "Greatest Hits" CD from Jewel at either place.

22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Don't know about that budget looking cover...yuck! What a cheesy font. But, as always Amy looks great. Can't imagine this will really sell...if you are a fan, who doesn't already have those songs?

23. BradOlson

That is because the Icon series is a budget comp series.

24. BradOlson

I saw the remastered CD of "The Collection" in the $5 bin at my local Wal-Mart but avoid it at any cost due to her remasters of the vintage titles being loudness war victims.

25. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Brad speaks the truth!

BradOlson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.