Sansa Clip+?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hogger129, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hogger129

hogger129 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I'm thinking about getting a new mp3 player and I seen this thing. I like that it is a small size, but I'm wondering how the sound quality is and what kind of memory cards it needs. I have seen they now make 128GB cards, but not the micro ones. Can it use a normal size memory card? I think the 128 is just a regular SD card. Biggest I've seen in the microSD is 64.

I'm just wondering if someone can answer these questions and give me a review on it. I understand it can be Rockboxed too which is good since I have a lot of Apple Lossless files I want to be able to play on it.

Thanks.

2. hogger129

Nevermind. I see it only uses microSD. Perhaps I can use an OTG cable and connect a 128GB USB flash drive?

3. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Great little players and a doddle to use.

4. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I own several of these and love them. It's a great little player and sounds great, but the the biggest memory card I have used is 16GB.

5. hogger129

I would like to find a definitive answer on what kind of memory cards it uses. I see people who say they use SDHC cards on it (of which I can find 128GB versions) and some who say they can only use microSD (which I can only find up to 64GB).

My primary concern is capacity, and I guess I can transcode my Apple Lossless to FLAC if I have to.

6. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

7. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It only uses MicroSD.

I have one with RockBox on it, it's wonderful. I'm not so crazy about the Rockbox interface, the native Sansa one is much easier to use, but I've compared the two platforms sound-wise and Rockbox is clearly the winner, even without a particular EQ or other sound adjustment

8. hogger129

Hmm... Might not be a bad idea because I could just carry a couple of those 64GB microSD cards on me. I have a little pouch that it would all fit in nicely. Who knows? Maybe in a year or so down the road they'll come out with a 128GB microSD card.

9. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I've never tested mine with 64GB, but I believe 32GB cards do work (MicroSD). I also use Rockbox, which on the Clip+ isn't a bad interface as it's a minimal screen to begin with. SQ is quite good - both the original firmware and definitely with Rockbox + EQ tweaking.

Also, Rockbox supports ALAC plus a lot of other codecs. :)

10. 2Bdecided

2Bdecided Forum Resident

I use 32GB no problems. The original memory (up to 8GB) is also accessible. The normal views (artists, albums, etc) combine all the music on both storage areas into one list. The folder view allows you to navigate to either as you wish.

Its weak point (quite literally) is its headphone socket.

11. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson Senior Member

I use the Clip + with a 32GB, loaded with lossless files. Sennheiser 100 on-ear headphones. Amazingly engaging sound for such a small and inexpensive package. The FM Tuner is very good too.

RoyalScam likes this.
  12. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

I have a rockboxed 8GB Sansa Clip+ with a 64GB microSD and I love it. Yes, the supplied headphones are not great, but I only use them during heavier abuse like yardwork. The Sansa software or specifically, the database, does not fully support 8+32 GB’s and while it can still work with this much capacity, it “tops out” and will cut off the list of playlists and tracks. But rockbox works just fine with the larger capacity.

13. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I think that is the largest it officially supports. I've never tried anything larger. I have about 5 of these cards filled with FLACs that I use with mine and I've been loving it. Good news is if one goes bad or if I lose it I don't have all of my music on it.

14. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I have and enjoy the previous version Clip+, loaded with a 32GB card. It actually gets more play than my iPod Classic or iPhone 4S due to it's excellent sound and drag-and-drop convenience. (And ability to play FLAC, which I do on occasion).

15. TimM

TimM Senior Member

Your idea is a good one. I am happy having several different 20G players instead of one big one, but your sytem would be more economical. I was always concerned that swapping cards out would lead to a failure of the slot, but apperently you have not seen that problem. I use 320kbps files and having almost two hundred albums on a player is enough to have to scroll through. Since you are using FLAC files you wouldn't have quite as many to deal with.

16. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Nope, no problems yet. It's been a little over a year & I do change the cards quite often.

17. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

I've had several Clips through the years, getting an 8gb Clip+ when my second original died after 3-4 years of constant usage. With a 2gb microsd card and Sennheiser hd202 headphones it's unbeatable for cheap portable audio. I've had it for about 2-3 years now. Finally bit the bullet and just installed Rockbox tonight to go with a new 16gb card. After a little bit of tweaking settings for better navigation it's incredible. Admittedly the stock firmware is better but the SQ on Rockbox is better and you actually have a large number of options.
    It can even play 24bit files. How in the heck did they manage to do that on the tiny Clip+?? (seems to do an on the fly conversion to 16 bit)

I use all FLAC files, and have never had a problem with anything save for battery life. You get what you pay for but if you simply turn the brightness down, turn down the screen light up time and the idle power off to a reasonable amount you don't notice it.

18. wferrari

wferrari Well-Known Member

I use the a 4GB Sansa Clip Zip with a 32Gb microSD card and Rockbox installed. I also have a 8GB Sansa Clip+, which is pretty much identical safe for the LED screen. It is perfect combined with my AKG K319 non-insulating earbuds. Everything is reduced to pretty much nothing, with the Clip clipped to the upper part of the shirt, and the short cable of the AKGs is perfect for reaching the ears without anything hanging. The sound quality is really good, but I found out that the sound quality of V0 MP3s is pretty much the same as the corresponding FLACs. It may be due to the fact that the player is a little underpowered for proper FLAC decoding, particularly if the encoding was done at level 8.

19. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

I've always been happy with my Clip, but if the Rockbox firmware sounds better I think I will try that - thanks for the tip.

20. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

For me the major factors are Clip+'s long battery time (ca. 12 hours) and ability to use files of several formats (aac-flac-mp3-ogg vorbis). After few months use I did half a dozen test files (mp3's only because they had to be tried with different devices) and compared iPod, Sansa Clip+ and two cellular phones. Clip+ didn't loose to iPod; soundwise it beated the Nokia phone; and got even with Samsung. I thought it was a bit too bassy, but that's OK because I use such gear out in open air. "Hifism" is actually pointless in such cases; usability counts. Switching the microSD card is easy (I use 8 and 16 gigs cards). More bang for the buck than from any of those tiny players.

21. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

I use a rockboxed clip+ at the gym and it's excellent. I have several cards and just swap music whenever I want. Love mine.

22. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Keep in mind that there are at least three versions of the Clip that I know of: Clip, Clip+ and Clip Zip. I know Rockbox works with the Clip/Clip+ (because I own both), but with the Clip Zip it looks like it's still under development.

23. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

Best buy for me ... just get a good pair of head phones and off you go.

FLAC is what i put on my CLIP+ and very happy with sound etc.

24. Tony Jonaitis

Tony Jonaitis Forum Resident

Great little player....but the amp is woefully weak. When it gets cold, I use my Grado earphones...and the Clip just can't drive those phones. Probably why I love my Cowon D2...

25. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I've had a clip+ for a few years now and though I don't use it a lot, I have no complaints about the sound or the function. I wanted to avoid the Ipod and I-tunes so it fits the bill perfectly. I like that it supports flac files as that and 320mp3 filess are all I play on it. I've never completely understood the syncing thing so I usually format the player when I want to change the music out and reload it with new tunes. It's easier than deleating individually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.