Black Sabbath - 2012 LP Boxset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deuce66, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Oh ok, that's cool...I just have the original WBs of those. They sound pretty good to me. I'm not getting rid of them. And in the case of 'Sabotage' same mastering for both US and UK copies. You're right about the NEMS, in my opinion, they suck.

2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I bought this box because I got a decent price and it seemed like a good way to get Sabbath on vinyl (I don't have any) before siing them live for the first time at Ozzfest later this year. Now, it seems to be out of print, and scheduled for "repress". I haven't opened the box, but can't return it. If it is being repressed for quality reasons, I sure would like to get confirmation of that, and I'll avoid opening it and look into returning it directly to the manufacturer. Does anyone know anything?

motorcitydave likes this.
  3. motorcitydave

I see that Ozzfest is gonna be in Japan this year. Thanks for the info. I wonder if it'll hit here in the US, or if there will be stand alone US tour.

4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

It's quite possible that it's being re-pressed, hopefully somewhere decent - Amazon.com did not stock this product for some reason, I bought it at .ca and promptly returned it. They were supposed to press 5-7 thousand of these and there's no way they sold that many of the GZ pressings, the stores here would still have some like the Beatles boxes. I'm guessing it got pulled off the market where possible. If I find out that they get pressed again at a quality plant like Pallas then I'll pick it up again, if it's another GZ run - FORGET IT.

motorcitydave likes this.
  5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I just read some of the other posts in this thread. Very helpful - thanks.

6. motorcitydave

Sounds reasonable. I'll never understand why they can't get the basic quality down pat. It's not like we're nitpicking here, well most of us anyway.

7. svart

svart New Member

Hey Sabbs Fans,
    I’m from Poland and I’ve just got the box. I haven’t listen to it yet but I must agree with Deuce66 in relation to these issues:

- LP’s with the swirl label came in cheap paper inner sleeves that shed paper fragments (not good)
    Yeah, there is a need to buy additional plastic bags for the discs
    - the covers are not high quality, they are rather thin (the Rhino reissues were better in this regard).
    I agree, I am also not sure whether covers are true copies of the original EU pressings
    - the box itself does not have a protective coating
    Would be helpful, I will use the additional box.

Anyway, it didn’t know that this box was in fact pressed in co-operation with backtoblack (there is a short info on the box only). If I knew it I would had never bought this box probably. I’m not a fan of backtoblack releases due to their (usually) poor quality (especially cover artwork).
    Well. Good things? It is very heavy and looks impressive. Very nice is the attached book although it is also rather poor paper / photo quality.
    Conclusion, I am quite dissappointed and hope I will like sound these pressings.

8. svart

svart New Member

Hey Sabbs Fans,
    I’m from Poland and I’ve just got the box. I haven’t listen to it yet but I must agree with Deuce66 in relation to these issues:
    - LP’s with the swirl label came in cheap paper inner sleeves that shed paper fragments (not good)
    Yeah, there is a need to buy additional plastic bags for the discs
    - the covers are not high quality, they are rather thin (the Rhino reissues were better in this regard).
    I agree, I am also not sure whether covers are true copies of the original EU pressings
    - the box itself does not have a protective coating
    Would be helpful, I will use the additional box.
    Anyway, it didn’t know that this box was in fact pressed in co-operation with backtoblack (there is a short info on the box only). If I knew it I would had never bought this box probably. I’m not a fan of backtoblack releases due to their (usually) poor quality (especially cover artwork).Well. Good things? It is very heavy and looks impressive. Very nice is the attached book although it is also rather poor paper / photo quality.Conclusion, I am quite dissappointed and hope I will like sound these pressings.

9. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Thank you for your report, Svart. Looking forward to your comments on the sound.

10. motorcitydave

Yes, thank you for the report.

11. svart

svart New Member

I am replacing my turntable system and I do not know when I will buy the new one. Anyway, I will let you know as soon as I buy it. I am also curious of the newest Iron Maiden releases on picture discs. In this case whole artwork looks very good, especially when we compare it to BS ones.

12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

the first 3 Maiden pic discs are a waste of $$$ except for the debut, I didn't bother with the rest of them

13. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I notice that this set is available again, does anyone know if this set was repressed and who pressed it this time?

14. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

Agreed, the UK Vertigo of Vol. 4 is better. The Rhino sounds dull, lacking treble to me. The UK is more detailed, im betting they used the US copy tape instead of the true UK master tape for the Rhino LP. Listening on a Technics SL-1210MK2, Technics SU-A900MK2 Amp and Wharfedale Xarus 5000 speakers.

15. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I dont know if Im wrong but! the whole thing with black sabbath best sound on vinyl is like this:

1. if you have the money for buy 1st UK Vertigo pressings go head
    2. you second option is the new 2013 boxet
    3. forget all others pressings...

Im wrong or good?

16. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

Which Rhino pressing did Kevin Gray do please? I have the Chris Bellman from 2011 which has lots of bottom end.

17. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

18. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

I got a needledrop of the boxset and listened a bit to S/T and Paranoid.

S/T was good but maybe a bit too edgy for my taste, the cymbals were more pronounced than on other early CD/vinyl versions I've heard.

Paranoid on the other hand sounded sublime to me - better than the original UK vinyl and the Japanese twofer CD, and that says a lot!

19. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

Strange, I found Paranoid to be a little more on the treble side compared to the needledrop/ twofer (that have more mid/bass). That doesn't make it worse in any instance, just different. The new Paranoid is slighlty more aggresive.

20. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

21. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

I'd like to know that as well.

22. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

(uk vertigo swirl) 1st link is dead, "Permission Denied." can you upload again? thanks

which press is the (japan twofer) ??? I dont know but I listen with A LOT! BASS too much bass... compared with the 2012, I prefer the 2012 in your samples... again the 1st UK vertigo link is broken

23. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I think Luxen misspoke there. There is no Kevin Gray cut of Vol 4 AFAIK.

24. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

The Rhino Chris Bellman sounds veiled to me. Yes, its got a lot of bottom end but wheres the detail? Maybe the US copy tape has aged, it certainly does'nt sound like its from the UK tapes comparing to my UK Vertigo Porky.

25. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

This seems like an awfully extreme position. . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.