Any George Shearing fans? In your opinion, what's the best of his Capitol LPs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Get2Me, Jul 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently picked up a Japanese reissue of George Shearing's Bossa Nova and it is classy! Now, a slew of his 1950s Capitol albums have been given the Japanese mini-LP CD treatment. I was wondering what is generally considered George Shearing's best work either in the Latin style he favored over the course of a few albums or his more lushly orchestrated, "easy listening" mood music albums?

The LPs newly reissued on CD are, in no particular order:
    The Shearing Spell
    Velvet Carpet
    Latin Escapade
    Black Satin
    Night Mist
    Burnished Brass
    Latin Lace
    Blue Chiffon
    Latin Affair
    Satin Brass
    White Satin
    On The Sunny Side Of The Strip

These CDs aren't cheap, so I ultimately may only be able to buy one or two. This thread is also a roundabout way of asking for help in making a pretty tough decision!

Which would YOU choose?

2. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

G'day,

I've got a couple of the George Shearing LPs mentioned above (blue, white, black)... but in all honesty the one I reach for most is Nat King Cole Sings George Shearing Plays.

--Geoff

Licorice pizza likes this.
  3. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up about the Japanese Mini-LP's - My dad was a major fan, so I'll have to check on picking up some for him.

4. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

There were so many Capitol albums of his group that I never knew where to start. So I purchased the two Capitol Jazz Blue Note sampler albums.

The Best of George Shearing (1955-1960) Mastered by Malcolm Addey. 1995. The notes tell you that the 18 tracks are from 15 different albums.

The Best of George Shearing, Volume Two (1960-69) Mastered by Ron McMaster. Here the 18 tracks seem to be from 18 different albums.

Simon A likes this.
  5. ProfBoz

ProfBoz Forum Resident

I didn't know about these Japanese reissues. Interesting.

I also don't know if these are generally considered his "best," but my two favorites from the list above are "Black Satin" and "White Satin," both of them sort of cocktail make-out music for the day, but ravishing. I purloined my pop's LP of "Black Satin" one year on my way to college--I was in a 50s craze and thought the album cover perfectly encapsulated the elusive 50s buzz I was coveting--and played it all the time. I found the CD several years later, and supplemented it with "White Satin" immediately after. The Latin albums are excellent, too.

6. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

One of my favorite George Shearing albums is the one with Nat King Cole.
    "Nat King Cole Sings George Shearing Plays"
    Some amazing stuff there by both. I have the original Capitol release and it sounds really nice.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  7. For me the two earliest (I think), "Velvet Carpet" and "Shearing Spell." I have all of the ones you listed on vinyl and these are the ones I play the most.

8. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I don't really care for the Capitol albums, which are more easy listening than jazz. I much prefer his earlier MGM albums.

The only one that I have that's on that reissue list is "Latin Escapade," so I guess that's my favorite.

It's too bad that the albums he cut with Nancy Wilson and Peggy Lee aren't on that list.

9. If Steve ever got a chance to do more Nat Cole albums for Analogue Productions, I'd move his duet album with George Shearing to the top of the list for remastering, along with his Christmas recordings for Capitol...I'd buy those in a cold New York minute!!!:love::wave:

762rob likes this.
  10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Black Satin and White Satin are essential. And Latin Escapade is superb as well. As that generation is going on to assisted living, these records in nice condition are becoming easier to find. So, get one or two while you can and try some. I enjoy them.

11. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Anybody know the actual recording dates for the Black Satin album? Sometime in 1956?

Matt

12. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Get the John Piazzarelli George Shearing CD The Rare Delight of You....I have the SACD its a bargain and has great music

13. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

I would love to have Steve get his hands on some of those George Shearing tapes and remaster them.

The George Shearing mosaic box set of live recordings; is that a box set with all of the live Shearing albums?
    Such as:
    San Francisco Scene
    Shearing on Stage
    On The Sunny Side Of The Strip
    Jazz Concert

Licorice pizza likes this.
  14. juanmanuel

juanmanuel Forum Resident

Yes

DLant likes this.
  15. juanmanuel

Black Satin was recorded 18,19 and 20 december 1956; at Capitol Tower.

16. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

That's a title which would be a great Audiophile reissue,

17. DLant

Just ordered a copy of Here & Now/New Look. Can't wait to get it.

18. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Isn't one of Shearing's LPs visible during a scene in A Hard Day's Night?

19. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

I feel his best albums musically are his live albums; a bunch are collected in the Mosaic set mentioned above.

Simon A likes this.
  20. For anyone who likes solo piano you can't go wrong with ...
    [​IMG]
    The Shearing Piano (Capitol Jazz)

DLant likes this.
  21. juanmanuel

Terrific CD!!!!!!!

22. DLant

Absolutely stunning! Such a great album!

23. DLant

Just got the Capitol/EMI twofer of Shearing's mid-sixties albums; Here & Now! and New Look!
    I'm listening to them now, and I'm in love (with the music and the cover art...)

[​IMG]

Simon A and apileocole like this.
  24. DLant

I'm sorry it posted so large, but then again, I'm not.

Simon A and Jackie P like this.
  25. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I'm glad you did! :)

DLant likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.