SH Spotlight Nat King Cole "LOVE IS THE THING" (1956) in new multi-channel SACD & 45 RPM LP from Analogue Prods.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 20, 2010.

1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I think we're up to about 44 now. :)

CBackley and Steve Hoffman like this.
  2. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Don't know, but I do see what appears to be a guitar leaning up in the corner. Never noticed that before.

This is the only other one I've seen.

[​IMG]

CBackley, vonwegen, DLant and 5 others like this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Wow, the ONLY other picture? Man, that's not much for such an important record. So, his horn mic is a ribbon? Makes sense, unless they only had one Neumann in the place..

4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I think that just about every trumpet "spot mic" ever photographed in the Capitol tower (or Melrose, for that matter) was a 44 ribbon. Seems to me I may have a shot somewhere of Harry James at Melrose with a 77 ribbon.

5. MLutthans

Nope, I lied. That one's an RCA 44, too!
    HarryJamesRCA44 CApitolSHTV.jpg

6. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

I love the mood captured on these After Midnight photos. Just as chill as the record sounds.

CBackley, DLant, Kkfan and 1 other person like this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

Only two pics from that album. Too bad, I would have loved to see the entire layout of Nat's first album at the Capitol Tower.

CBackley likes this.
  8. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

New music keeps turning up, largely thanks to you; new photographs probably will too at some point.

9. Steve Hoffman

Let's hope so...

I'm all about letting the music speak for itself but I dig the old studio photos. Makes them more human, the artists, I mean..

CBackley, vonwegen, DLant and 2 others like this.
  10. Love coming back to these long multi-year threads about subjects like this...the information you get from Steve, the Gorts and other Forum members about these classic old albums are like little treasure nuggets from a musical gold mine..."Love Is The Thing" & "After Midnight" were magical in the way they were made and sound...thankfully, Steve and Kevin Gray both labored long and hard to make these two and five other classic Capitol albums live again in both 45 RPM LP's and hybrid SACD's that everyone who owns copies of cherish and treasure!!! Thanks again to BOTH of you and to Analogue Productions' Chad Kassem for making all of this possible!!!:love:
    P.S...can't wait to hear what Steve and Stephen Marsh did with "Welcome To The Club" for Audio Fidelity on hybrid SACD...it's currently slated for release on March 19th!!!:goodie:

CBackley, DLant and Kkfan like this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

A: Nat is just chillin' on the piano bench. He's not near a microphone.
    A: Probably, yes.

12. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Amazing pictures!

They add so much value to the music by showing how that music was made.

Thanks!

13. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

I thought for a moment that the mic in the distance behind him may have been his, but then the other picture was throwing me off. The pictures looked very different to me because I didn't know Nat would be singing with baffles around him.

So, uh, when's our Nat King Cole Appreciation Society Capitol Records Tour? :whistle:

CBackley likes this.
  14. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Certainly on my wish list; to tour the Tower and maybe sneak inside the old Melrose studios, I'm presuming the building is still there?

15. MLutthans

Yes, but the interior has been largely re-purposed.

16. Steve Hoffman

What's in there now?

17. MLutthans

I'm not at home right now, and I don't recall the details, but it's all walled off in little compartments, i.e., cubicles, work areas, etc. Seems to me that is has something to do with video editing or something along those lines, but don't quote me. I can get details for you later tonight. The echo chambers are still up on the roof, and look really goofy because they intentionally had odd angles to avoid standing waves. If MMM sees this, he can chime in with the info before me, probably.

DLant and Steve Hoffman like this.
  18. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

For me, even knowing that the building has been re-used (which is better than torn down), I would still loved to just stand within the hallowed walls.

CBackley, Steve Hoffman and Kkfan like this.
  19. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Sounds about right. The pictures I was given - while relatively new - are not exactly current either, so things might have changed since then.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  20. Steve Hoffman

Marty, Matt, they would have only built those echo chambers around 1953, is that correct? They weren't in use for very long then, less than three years.

21. MLutthans

Hmm

The first mixing board at Melrose in 1949 had an unEQd input channel that at some point was used for reverb return, but maybe from a different chamber or source? I dunno....

22. Steve Hoffman

As you know, there wasn't any reveb on records (except as a special effect like a cave or something in a kiddie record) until 1952... So, I can't imagine building special chambers until the Hi-Fi craze of 1953 started....

CBackley likes this.
  23. Evan

Evan Senior Member

This is one cool thread and I love the pictures of Nat in the studio!:righton:

CBackley likes this.
  24. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Steve, I'm not sure when they were built. I'll have to see if John Palladino remembers. Would KHJ have had use for them, before Capitol used the facility?

25. Steve Hoffman

KHJ? Didn't they come after Capitol left? KHJ was there when I was a kid and watched "Engineer Bill"..