What are the best sounding Jimi Hendrix CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harlanator, Jan 12, 2013.

1. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

The BIG prob w/that poll is not everyone voting has heard all the options.
    If fact you can surmise by some posts that voters may have heard only one release!!!

Now Playing:

john lennonist likes this.
  2. ricks

ricks Senior Member

For Smash Hits, Concerts* and some others you are correct even without RE1 they are No Noised , but for AYE, ABAL, EL, and COL the rule holds.

Plenty of RE1's also exit with the Herschberg credit, it wasn't until around 1991 that they switched to the Gastwirt credit where they sound proudly state Sonic Solutions NoNoise - what morons.

*Concerts does have an early Japan release that uses a mastering without No Noise although 1 track is omitted compared to the Reprise.

3. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Do the "CD+G" discs have "RE-1"?

Now Playing:

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Smash Hits never went through an RE-1. But uses that No-Noise gate.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  5. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

thanks for the on the cry of love cd.

6. George P

George P Notable Member

Seconded! :thumbsup:

7. George P

George P Notable Member

I just checked mine and they all have his name, except for my AYE. But my AYE is a DADC, which should be early enough to not be no-noised, right?

8. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Just listen those non-RE1's...your ears will tell you if they are no-noised or not. If any album has hiss, it's an album by The Jimi Hendrix Experience. :)

Woodville likes this.
  9. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, I thought that right after I posted. Just listened to The Wind Cries Mary and there's a ton of glorious hiss! :pineapple:

pool_of_tears likes this.
  10. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

"War Heroes" has more than one mastering on Polydor. One is no-noised and one isn't.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  11. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Don't have a DADC readily around; if not "his" name does it have "Digital re-mastering by Joe Gastwirt... " on the bottom of the inside of the cover page?

As statED above, just listen for blissful hiss!

12. George P

George P Notable Member

No, just "CDD Pre mastering by WCI Record Group."

Yes, plenty of hiss. :agree:

SinnerSaint likes this.
  13. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

FWIW, my AYE is also a DADC, and is not no-noised. It also does not have the RE-1 in the matrix.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  14. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Any true mono BBC ceedee releases?

15. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I see the Jimi Hendrix Blu-Spec CD 2 titles have now been cancelled.

16. ricks

ricks Senior Member

So

Any early DADC of AYE, AXIS, EL, COL will be NR free and sans RE1 in matrix. Warner only used DADC briefly and it predates the time frame of the lousy Sonic Solution masterings

17. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Any decent pressings of the "Kiss The Sky" comp?

Woodville likes this.
  18. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Yes!
    Two are pre-NoNoise, however...
    the Japanese & the US sound diff [dither], posters here have preferred the Japan as I do; just they both have their moments.
    Both have 'Target' pressings, butt the Reprise US has a non-Target & a No-Noise release as well (three total)!

Dr. Winston Ramone likes this.
  19. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Thanks for the info, just so happened to score a Japan target pressing for about 2 bucks on Amazon! :targettiphat:

20. jymy

jymy Senior Member

That's correct, and the 1st release also has alternate mix of 2 tracks.
    Please avoid the Polydors starting with cat.no. 847..., these are no-noised, released 1991. In 1993 they were again remastered, less no-noise, different EQ, and different covers. I believe same mastering as the '93 MCA.
    Lower numbers are not no-noised, and, while not all from the master tapes, have their merits.
    AYE has the UK tracklisting, Axis an alternative mix (very interesting), and EL has a very rich, deep sound.
    Original Polydors COL, WH, BOG, CL, ML, IOW sound very good also.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  21. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Terhe alternate mix of ABAS is very good. My only issue with it is the missing intro to You Got Me Floating.

22. AshenLight

AshenLight Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on the best version of Band of Gypsys? It appears to never have been released on CD by Reprise at all... I guess that leaves the 1991 Polydors and any subsequent reissues.

23. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

"live at the fillmore east" the hendrix family authorised re-master on m.c.a. what is the take on the sound of this cd?

24. starbuck

starbuck Forum Resident

Can anyone explain which versions I have in my 'Sessions' box set (which contains 'Are you...', 'Axis...', Electric Lady....' and 'Cry of Love)? They are Polydor releases with catalogue numbers all starting 847..., sleeves all state 'Printed In West Germany', discs are soild silver to centre with 'Made In Germany' text around the centre. Are these the "no noise" versions mentioned above?

25. jymy

jymy Senior Member

It was also released by Capitol in the US, and by Polydor before 1991. I like the '80''s Polydor, but never heard the Capitol. The 1991 Polydor has 3 bonus tracks though.