OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part2)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

So it's true then. Any photo leak?

2. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Not that I know of, in fact I've been checking intermittently.

3. If I want to use an external hard drive with the Oppo BDP-105EU player, are there any specific models that are recommended to be used with the Oppo? Which hard drive manufacturers are considered reliable? I need to use a hard drive with its own power supply, if I want to connect to the rear input USB DAC, correct?

On a related note, I have read about the gapless playback topic, and since the Oppo uses in that case a so-called "pull" setup, there will be gaps between files. I understand that and I don't think that is any fault or anything like that.

But for media purposes, I usually prefer to store my music in WAV-format with one WAV-file for a complete CD and then using cuesheets for the track indexing. I am using the "create image" function of EAC for that. If I play those files, the playback will be gapless for one CD since the whole CD is only one file. I prefer this method also, since for quite a few CD's, I like to modify the index points, for example for live albums, I prefer if the introduction for a song is at the beginning of each track and not - as it is often the case - at the end of the previous track.

I also think the file structure is simpler that way. I just need one folder for each artist.

I am wondering if there is any playback software which will make use of the cuesheet info, so that I can still access the individual tracks of an album via the index information which is stored in the cuesheet. Does any such software exist?

Then, I would also like to somehow store the album information with the WAV-file. I know that WAV-files cannot be tagged, but a respective software could still make this possible if the respective image file would follow a certain nomenclature.

Does any such software exist?

darkmatter likes this.
  4. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

I am unaware of any particular models of external hard drives recommended for the 105. You might want to check some computer related or similar forums regarding reliability and other issues relating to external drives.

The USB ports provide a maximum of 5V, 1000mA power for an external drive, so you will need an external drive with its own power supply if the drive needs more power in order to operate.

You may use the Foobar program to access your cue sheets and play individual songs.

I don’t know of any software related to storing metadata for wav files. I use lossless FLAC which allows for metadata and album art to be imbedded in the file while at the same time saving some disc space.

5. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

I just got my BDP-105 yesterday and got it set up. It is replacing a BDP-83. It is connected to my Integra 70.2 vis HDMI for the moment. The problem I am having is I can not get to pass a 24/96 signal. I am using the Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here Blu-Ray Audio Disc. It always shows up on my receiver that it is 48k. If I plug in the BDP-83 all is well, it shows up as 96K What Am I missing ?, what setting is not correct ?

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

In the Setup menu, under Audio Format Setup->HDMI Audio, make sure you have it set to Bitstream. You may have to try Auto, to get 24/96.

7. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

I have it set on Bitstream and it still is only outputting at 48K. I checked the settings in my BDP-83 and it was also set to Bitstream but it will output at 96K. I am not sure what is going on here

8. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

I just tried setting to auto, and it still only will output at 48k. I am not sure what the problem is.

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Do you have another 24/96 Blu-ray that you can test with?

10. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

I just tried the Rush 2112 Blu-Ray Audio and I get the same thing, it shows on my receiver that it is only 48K even though it is a 24/96 disc. If I use either of the discs in my BDP-83 they work fine and show up as 96K on the receiver.

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Are you certain that your receivers audio input for the BDP-105 source is not set to coax/optical? 48kHz is the max output for Blu-ray discs over coax/optical. You can test this buy taking the HDMI connection directly out of the '83, and plugging it into the HDMI 1 or 2 output of the '105.

12. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

I just tried Tom Petty - Damn The Torpedoes Blu-Ray Audio and it shows 48K as well. The Tom Petty disc also has a DTS Master Audio track and it shows up as 96k on my receiver, so far this the only track that works properly. I'm stumped.

Arjan likes this.
  13. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

I am using the same hdmi connection for both players by swapping one with the other. It is the same connection as I have used for the last year or so with the BDP 83. If I connect the BDP-83 all works fine on all discs, If swap it out for the BDP-105 all I get is 48K with exception of the Tom Petty DTS MA Track

14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You can try a Reset to Factory Defaults, just to try to clear everything out. Also try the HDMI swap I recommended, first.

15. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

Thanks Much Sam !

I did a factory reset and all is working as it should on all discs, they are now showing 96k output. Thanks again.

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Great! HDMI gets squirrelly sometimes.

17. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

Sam or anybody, Can a Western Digital Passport Hard Drive be used with The Oppo ?. I know that the USB Ports on the Oppo have limited power, but the WD Passport has no provisions to be powered by a Power Brick. Does the Oppo have enough power to run this drive ? I can not find any power specifications on Western Digital's site.

18. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

The external power supply available for some of the WD Passport models is rated at 5 volts and 1 amp so you should be ok. I have seen other models which indicate .6 amps. I would suggest sending an inquiry to OPPO support.

19. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I image it would work, but it's doubtful it is recommended. Personally, I'd try to use a different drive than can be powered by AC.

20. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

I'm using a My Passport connected to a USB hub. I just checked the hub in Device Manager which indicates the drive uses 500 mA or a half amp of current. You should be fine assuming the published OPPO specs of 1000 mA or one amp for the USB ports is correct.

21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm very new to computer based audio. With that said a friend suggested the WD My Passport 2TB HD. I have been using the HD for a few weeks and it works great with hi-rez flac files.

Bill

22. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

Bill I'm using the same type of drive. It is not connected to the OPPO but used to stream music to it. The little Passports don't use as much power as the older USB drives in the larger type cases which is why they are marketed as portable drives for use with notebooks. Drawing just 500 mA they should work fine with the OPPO which supposedly supplies 1000 mA to all USB ports.

23. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Cool. I'm looking forward to your report!

24. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Well, now that I've sorted out my 93 issues...

SACD

So, I have my 103 hooked up to a Cambridge Sonata using analog interconnects - 2.0, when I select DSD under SACD output, I get no sound at all. I have to switch to PCM.

Am I just stuck with PCM? What am I losing with the SACD experience?

25. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. Make sure you have the most recent firmware installed. I tried a reset which did not work but you might try that first if you have the latest firmware. In my situation I installed the latest firmware and elected to revert to factory defaults after the update and then reconfigured settings to my preferences and everything has been fine since then.

Many say there is no difference between PCM and DSD and I don't intend to debate that issue as I really can't tell a difference but perhaps others can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.