The Glove - 1st Issue or Remaster?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge Thread Starter

Just found out this Robert Smith project existed. Amazon has the 2 disc Rhino for $4.50 with Prime.

Which copy should I get?

2. frank010

frank010 Well-Known Member

The 2 Disc deluxe version is quite rare. Snap it up now.

3. nbakid2000

Well I see tons of copies of both on there.

4. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

they have a used original CD at my local record store for like $6.50. Is this the preferred version or should I get the remaster? I don't care about rarity.

5. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Remaster... the second CD has many songs sung by Robert Smith that his label did not allow originally. The original album had only two songs sung by Robert Smith because they didn't want the album to "interfere" with the Cure.

6. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

i thought this was going to be about spinal tap:)

Preston likes this.
  7. smokeverbs

smokeverbs Senior Member

The 2 disc is fine, if you want to hear Robert sing the whole album too. I found it alright for an occasional listen, but I grew up with the original disc, and am one of the few folks who actually liked Landray's vocals. There are a couple of songs that RS sings on the original that are cool though, including "Mr. Alphabet Says".

There are some great b-sides and remixes on both the original CD and the reissue.

8. WalterDigsTunes

WalterDigsTunes Forum Resident

If you can find the original issue for really cheap, go for that one.

I find the low-end thump on the remaster to be outrageous. They're using rinky-dink drum machines but it sounds like its some rap guy's car rolling by the curb.

Also, there's been some controversy with the Robert Smith demos. Some claim they were made in the mid-00s. The vocal inflections and mannerisms in the recordings, it is said, are closer to 04 RS than 83 RS. I'm still on the fence about the whole matter; the vocals, like most everything else, are coated with loads of flanging. The demos are even more rinky-dinky than the actual album, so you're not getting a totally amazing alternate record. Its a good curio, but don't expect to play disc 2 very often.

My main point of praise with the remaster? The luscious liner notes. They took the original graphic design and ran with it extremely well.

9. JayDeeEss

JayDeeEss Forum Resident

It's weird how evasive they were about whether or not the RS bonus disc vocals were vintage (they weren't.)

10. smokeverbs

smokeverbs Senior Member

Steve Severin himself talked about the sessions for Robert's vocals on the 2 disc version. He says it's a mixed bag of old vocals and new. The difference in Robert's 1983 voice vs 2004 voice is obvious. It's an interesting listen, but doesn't replace the original versions for me.

11. JayDeeEss

JayDeeEss Forum Resident

TBH I don't even think most of the 2nd disc backing tracks are legit vintage. Good liner notes, though.

12. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I have both versions, I'd go for the original Polydor cd.

I dont really think the "demos" on the deluxe version add anything to the original album, and like others I question the legitimacy of the vintage.

BTW there is a blue vinyl lp reissue coming out on RSD.

13. nbakid2000

Is there a difference between the 1 disc remaster and the 2 disc remaster?

14. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

I don't think there will be a difference. Need to check discogs.

Only got the RSD vinyl-version. I should pick up the 2cd Deluxe Version. There's also a 1990 single-disc release, which is pretty cheap at discogs (NM-copies).

15. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

It's pretty clear that Robert's vocals on the "demos" were not from the 80's. I think it's funny that he thought people wouldn't notice. There was some talk of Robert and Severin doing something new as the Glove. That could be interesting.

16. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

No

nbakid2000 likes this.
  17. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

BOTH.

18. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

The bonus disc is an interesting curio, but not something I ever wanted to listen to more than a handful of times. I love the Landray-sung songs exactly the way they are. The remaster is obviously louder, but I wouldn't say it's egregiously so.

Just get whichever version you find for the least amount of money and enjoy an awesome album!

smokeverbs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.