What are the best sounding Jimi Hendrix CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harlanator, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

I also find the sound on the 1990 U.K. comp "Cornerstones" (847 231-2) to be very nice. Bruce Gary recommended this to me, at the time he was still working on the catalog for Alan Douglas, and even he didn't understand why this sounded better than the tapes he was working with.

MonkeyLizard, Dodoz and BrettyD like this.
  2. jymy

jymy Senior Member

I think no noised yes. I don't have the Sessions box, but my 1991 Polydors are also solid silver to center, text on sleeve I will check later.

3. jymy

jymy Senior Member

Some of my Polydors are solid centered alu, and some mention Printed in West Germany on sleev, but all are no noised.

Btw, catalog number for my Axis '91 and Axis '93 (with the alternative cover) Polydor are both same, 847 243-2, but very different mastering.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  4. jymy

jymy Senior Member

This one is no noised too, sounds like the '91 Polydors, and similar to the Reprise RE-1 releases.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  5. 926am

926am Senior Member

I'd like to know this as well.

6. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

There are a couple threads here about the BBC albums. From what I've read, all of the official CDs are in fake stereo.

7. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Band of Gypsys was released in the US in 2 different CD masterings:
    1. The first appeared in 1995 as the 25th anniversary CD (Capitol 96414 is the standard jewel case version, while the individually numbered mini-vinyl card variation of this same CD is Capitol DPRO 79534). This was the first time the album had officially been released on CD in the USA, under Alan Douglas’ control of the Hendrix Estate.
    2. In 1997, after the Hendrix family took control of the estate, Experience Hendrix released the Experience Hendrix/Capitol CD release (72434 -93446). The mixes used are the same but they appear to have been mastered from different stereo tapes.
    The original 25th Anniversary CD issue was sourced from a safety copy of the master tape, not the original Eddie Kramer-mixed stereo master tape. The original master tape had been marked “Do Not Use” by EMI-Capitol Records (possibly because it had incurred some damage, while the copy was in good condition), so the copy-master was used for any versions on vinyl after the initial green label Capitol vinyl album. These releases sound like they are sourced from a copy tape - obvious bass and vocal distortion abounds (especially in Who Knows), along with very slight treble phase shift.

The new version remastered by EH/Eddie Kramer uses the “Do Not Use” tape (the original stereo master) and sounds much better than the Douglas version. The bass is excellent now and the treble and vocals are much clearer. The uneven fade up of the original Bill Graham introduction has been changed to a drop-in, and Eddie Kramer mentioned in an interview with Michael Fremer in Stereophile that some tape splices were re-trimmed. A minor caveat is the appearance of occasional soft crackling noises on the new release (e.g. at about 5 and 11 secs into Machine Gun in the left channel). I seem to remember these on the original 1970 Capitol (green label) vinyl (STAO 472 – released in April 1970), and bought several copies thinking - wrongly as it turns out - that they were pressing faults. These noises weren’t present on the Australian vinyl release (Polydor 2406-002), nor later U.S. Capitol (purple or red label) pressings, nor any prior CD I have heard (which includes 2 different Polydor CDs and the 1995 Capitol 25th). The copy-master, therefore, appears to have been used for most versions of Band of Gypsys beyond the original US vinyl issue, despite its generally inferior sound. I guess the crackling noises on the original Capitol vinyl release and the EH/Capitol release are sounds caused by some damage incurred to the original master tape, as these sounds appear to have already been present in 1970 on first release vinyl.

The US cover of this album is wonderful – a glorious retrospective trip through the amazing light shows of the past (see above), and it is easily my favourite album cover of all time. The EH/Capitol version includes all the original cover art, as well as a detailed essay on the history of the recording and the legal hassles surrounding its release, whereas the 25th Anniversary Edition simply replicated the original US vinyl cover in either a thin paper booklet or a mini vinyl cardboard replica. The prior Polydor releases, on both vinyl and CD, were both poorly reproduced and deleted the inside spread of the U.S. gatefold, as well as sounding substandard.

Band of Gypsys was also released in some countries in an alternative “Puppet” sleeve (the initial 1970 UK Track 2406002 or Australian Polydor 2406002 on vinyl and also the original Japanese vinyl and CD releases). This cover was a really sub-par Graphreaks effort and displayed no photos of the band (Graphreaks were also the designers of the really innovative The Who’s “Live At Leeds” cover originally released on Track Records 2406001 in the UK). The puppets are - clockwise from left - Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan and John Peel. What 3 of the 4 had to do with Band of Gypsys is anyone’s guess. The cover preparation was the result of another executive decision at Track Records by Kit Lambert and Chris Stamp to change the original artwork for the UK release (for more of the same, see Electric Ladyland’s UK “electric lady” cover – hated by Jimi apparently - or the proposed artwork for Who’s Next). Later U.K. vinyl pressings and the CDs were based on blurry, non-gatefold reproductions of the original U.S. Capitol cover. Why someone of the reputation and sales record of Jimi Hendrix should have been treated so shoddily is simply beyond belief. I guess it has something to do with the legal ramifications of the ongoing PPX/Capitol vs Jimi Hendrix and Polydor court case.

The sound quality of the UK vinyl was never as good as that of the US, being cut at a sub-optimal volume and with rolled off bass and treble frequencies. This causes a poor signal to noise ratio in an already hissy recording. The Australian vinyl was cut at a standard level, even if it also had a little bass and treble roll off and used the same sub-par puppet cover. The audience laughing after his crack at the beginning of Machine Gun (“.....if we can get over this summer....nya ha ha”) was most audible on this release.

For sound quality, in order of preference, The Classic records vinyl reissue may be the best version (I haven’t heard this), followed closely by either the EH/Capitol or the identical sounding EH/Sony CD versions and then the Capitol 25th Anniversary CD and vinyl versions. The Australian vinyl version comes next and finally the UK Track/Polydor versions of this album are inferior (both on vinyl and CD) – unusual for Jimi Hendrix albums, where the Track/Polydor copies were usually much sought after for sound quality (e.g. Are You Experienced, Axis: Bold as Love and Electric Ladyland). The only caveat I found with original Capitol US vinyl was that it was always noisy (apart from the tape based noises mentioned above) in at least 3 copies I tried (possibly a legacy of the poor quality vinyl being used at that time). Otherwise, it could rank above the Capitol 25th, if you can find a mint green label and Robert Ludwig mastered pressing. Avoid the non-gatefold reissue from the 80s.
    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen owns the multitrack tapes of the Band Of Gypsys performances at the Fillmore. It appears that he has allowed Experience Hendrix access to them for a 5.1 remix of the sound to match the only video of the performance on the 2011 version of the “Band Of Gypsys” DVD.

8. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

9. jymy

jymy Senior Member

10. John Buchanan

The latest Sony Japan version of Band Of Gypsys catalogue number is SICP 2463. As mentioned above, it appears to be slightly softer than the EH/Capitol 1997 remaster, but otherwise sounds the same to me.
    I stand by my assessment of the sound quality of the various versions of BOG. The best CD version by far is the EH (the Sony is slightly better than the Capitol).
    Secondly, the cover presentation of any of the Polydor or Track versions, either on vinyl or CD, was truly a definition of substandard. Even Jimi hated these.

11. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member

"All along the Watchtower" from this disc sounded really nice as I recall.

12. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

It took a while too corner "Cornerstones" & even looooonger too capture "Jimi Hendrix" 'Zweitausendeins' [837 568-2].
    I like the heavy richness of "Cornerstones" mastering & am EDweirdED out by "JH" [released on Polydor in '88] mastering.
    "JH" has a the fake stereo mixes ceedees are infamous for & a totally strange "TWCM" were the vocal is in both channels.
    Instead of only on the right as it regularly is (such as "AYE" Reprise 6261-2) & added echo as well (w/a a pretty disconcertingly badd pop at :43).
    While Polydor "The Singles Album" [827 369-2] has the "TWCM" vocal on right & a sweet lightness too the mastering.

13. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

"Hey Joe": "AYE" Reprise 6261-2 [pre RE-1] the 'looseness' & less forward presentation over what many prefer "TUE SE" Polydor 517 235-2 HDCD's 'tightness' & more forward presentation
    "Stone Free": give up! Na, I go w/the slightly less echoED therefore dryer "JH" Zweitausendeins Polydor 837 568-2
    "Purple Haze": mono [over all stereos] EH/MCA's "TSC" 'richer' than the HDCD yet more 'bite' than the Reprise
    "51st Anniversary": "TSA" Polydor 827 369-2 more 'laid-back' than "TSC".
    "The Wind Cries Mary": mono - "TSC" EH/MCA stereo - "TUE" Polydor 517 235-2 HDCD/I like Polydor "TSA" better butt the channels are reversed
    "Highway Chile" (what a cool song!!!!): "TSA" because of the mix/bass although "TUE SE" has better 'balance' too the mix IMO than "TSC" EH/MCA & is louder in a good way too the "TSA" & "JH" Zweitausendeins
    "The Burning of the Midnight Lamp": "JH" Zweitausendeins is a beautiful thing BUTT the mono "TSC" puts Jimi in the room although its 'brighter'
    "The Stars That Play With Laughing Sam's Dice": "TSA" better than the rest still no star (ha, ha!!) tho
    that's it for now kids [All Along next]!

"AYE" = "Are You Experienced"
    "JH" = "Jimi Hendrix"
    "TSA" = "The Singles Album"
    "TSC" = "The Singles Collection"
    "TUE SE" = "The Ultimate Experience Special Edition"

* my room, my system [desk], my ears & IMO
    all versions playED "LOUD" in order too reveal flaws... well... that's what I kept telling myself!!!

Dino likes this.
  14. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

answer:

15. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

"Smash Hits" W.G. Polydor has catlog # of 825 & it's NoNoised correct?

16. jymy

jymy Senior Member

No it's not NoNoised. But the Reprise SH is NoNoised, alrready the first release if I remember correctly.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  17. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

"Smash Hits" gets "smashED" here all the time.
    So, is it the mixes/mastering that's getting slammED?

EDitEDbyED:
    Are you sticking too the 'all pre-847's Polydors [Japan & W.G.] are NoNoise free' (not a "quote") statement?
    BIG thanks.

reEDitEDbyED:
    Cause if it's a "Stone Free" fake stereo thingy then a lot of Hendrix ceedee's should eXperience smashing!

18. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Found on an old Hendrix thread here at SHMF:
    wonder if John would like too update this post (he recently added too his "BoG" rantings).
    How bout it? :wave:

19. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Bolded part of that statement is simply not factual. Although at least the EQ part could be classified as opinion regardless of my belief that it is also a falsehood [read my sig]

The original Reprise of AYE, Axis, and EL were all made from the master tapes! The original Polydor's were all made from inferior high gen tapes and in the case of Axis alternate tapes with inferior never intended to be released mixes [mind boggling the 1st press Japan faction insists the sound is better on the P33P of Axis but fails to notice the mixes are different and includes bum notes compared to the Reprise]. I've never heard anyone else say they dislike the EQ on the original AYE and AXIS. As for EL, about half of it is inferior to the Polydor in terms of EQ according to many.

Anyone who likes EL should compare Both the long and short Voodoo Chile's on the master taped sourced Original Reprise to the original Polydor. The Reprise is vastly superior and since the long Voodoo is time-wise a huge chunk of the album having the original Reprise is essential. Not to mention the Reprise has the songs in the correct order.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  20. John Buchanan

Yes - I agree this isn't factual, although it was incorrect common knowledge at the time. I have corrected it in a later post.
    Comparisons of AYE, ABAL and EL (Reprise pre-NoNoise vs EH) shows varied results.
    AYE and EL in the original Reprise CD sound great.
    ABAL I'm less convinced by and think the EH sounds better than the original Reprise.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  21. John Buchanan

Let's correct it now.
    There have been four attempts at getting the Jimi Hendrix Experience albums "just right" on CD.
    The first Reprise albums were mastered without NoNoise. There was some talk of these CDs having been mastered from a tape prepared for vinyl cutting and re-equlised for CD, but the word from SH suggests that at least AYE was mastered from the original stereo master tape. My listening suggests that EL was as well, whereas ABAL doesn't sound as good in the Reprise version as the EH version.
    The second batch of Reprise albums were remastered with heavy NoNoise (RE-1 after catalogue # on CD inner ring dead space) - not a good thing, nor was it necessary.
    The third attempt was the first on MCA and the last under Alan Douglas control. The NoNoise was used less heavily and sounded better than the 2nd Reprise versions. The covers were revamped and look really substandard to me.
    The latest attempt is by MCA/Experience Hendrix and supposedly uses the original master tapes for the first time (but NB Joe Gastwirt still claims he did this also) and was remastered under the original recording engineers guidance, but so were some of the Beatles CDs. NoNoise appears to have been abandoned but maximisation has been used. I like these the best, but others may like the 1st MCA's better as they weren't maximised.
    Band of Gypsys has had 2 versions in the US. The first Capitol 25th Anniversary version used a copy master for that CD and the sound is very slightly phasey and has some bass distortion. There was a nice mini-vinyl version of this also (see ebay) The Experience Hendrix version uses the deteriorating original master tape and although the sound is clearer, there are some minor crackling noises introduced.
    Jimi Hendrix Concerts is mostly subpar recordings of great performances. EH should be releasing better sounding versions than these. The Albert Hall performances sound as though the tape drive has wow and flutter audible and there is revrb plastered all over the performances.

SinnerSaint and BIG ED like this.
  22. jymy

jymy Senior Member

SH has opening notes chopped off of several tracks. Sound quality not that great.

All '80's Polydors w/o NoNoise.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  23. jymy

jymy Senior Member

Axis alternate mix I find very interesting, with less effects, different/less panning, sound quality is quite good, but probably not form the master tape.
    1st Reprise AYE + Axis I like, but for EL I still prefer original Polydor, incl. Voodoo Chile. Less clean, more gritty sounding, more low end, it suits the music imho.

Original Polydors OF other albums, like COl, CL, sound very good, like very low gen. or even master tape.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  24. jymy

jymy Senior Member

4 attempts excluding the Polydors from the '80's and early 90's :)

Concerts:

The Japanese CD (Polydor P20P 22014) is the best sounding, and has the most inbetween song banter applause between the songs (and the lyrics in the booklet).
    The 1st UK release, by Media Motion with number MEDIA 1 from 1988, sounds also good (no NR), but cuts 2 minutes of applause/song banter AND it fades in/out the applause several times.
    The later Castle Communications CD has Foxey Lady as bonus track, is NoNoised, and all the songbanter but 1 minutes less applause than the Japanese CD

The Japanese P33p 25038is very similar or same sounding as the P20P btw.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  25. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I scanned the thread. Has anyone commented on the Purple Box? Or doesn't that qualify on this thread. I thought Eddie Kramer did a decent job on it. Of course, when it comes to sound, I am usually wrong on this forum. I'm sure someone will tell me if I am wrong.......:D

Clanceman likes this.