Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #45)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have Gilels, Arrau and Fleisher and I'm pretty happy with all of them.

2. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Decca started digital recording in London in June 1979.Wilkinson worked on a few digital sessions before retiring.

3. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

:thumbsup:

listening to this recording now

[​IMG]

4. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Another lovely CD...all kinds of surprises in this music...

[​IMG]

5. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Splendidly recorded on the BNL label, this CD was recommended to me by a Schumann aficionado. Now enjoying it.

6. john greenwood

My introduction to HIP. I had those gogeous Telefunken platters. Now I have the CDs.

7. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying my favorite piano sonata (Op. 110), performed by Youra Guller.

8. George P

[​IMG]

Haven't heard the Brahms violin concerto in a long time, so I am enjoying it now.

TGIF!!!

9. George P

^
    And now the Beethoven.

10. john greenwood

For anyone who failed to pick up the SACDs - HDTracks is releasing 96/24 and 192/24 versions of several of the Living Stereo titles. (Of course their price is haigher than the list price of the physical media when originally released.)

11. john greenwood

Listening to the Busch Quartet and Serkin performing Dvorak (Quartet No. 2) and the Brahms Piano Quintet via MOG (on the Fono label).

12. john greenwood

Much, if not all, of the Rubinstein collection is available on MOG. Listening to Vol. 21 - Brahms solo piano music.

13. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Yesterday I attended another "Casual Concert" at the Philharmonie, Strauss' "Ein Heldenleben". As usual the orchestra was the Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin. The conductor was a young Spaniard called Pablo Heras-Casado. "Heldenleben" does not exactly rank very high on my list, but seeing it performed live was pretty impressive. And the conductor bought me a beer afterwards.:pineapple: Here's why:

At the beginning there was a detailed introduction into the piece. As some of you may know, Strauss "quotes" some of his earlier works in the fourth part (Des Helden Friedenswerke) and Heras-Casado has the orchestra play these little bits and asks the audience, if someone recognises where they are from. While people are shouting the names, he offers to buy them a beer in the lounge after the concert. When the last theme comes on, I shout "Zarathustra", but to be honest I merely knew it because I read the wiki entry on "Heldenleben" in the morning and "Zarathustra" was the only one left. :D I was the only one who went and claimed his beer afterwards. We had a short chat and toasted to Bach's birthday. Nice guy.

John S and Robin L like this.
  14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

You weren't tempted to buy the big Rubinstein box then George? It's excellent value for money and has all those discs plus extras?

15. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Yesterday I received the new Yarlung Records disc Lorraine. Lorraine Hunt Lieberson with the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra recorded in 2003. Bach's cantata Mein Herze schwimmt im Blut, BWV 199. The other piece is Bach's 4th Brandenburg Concerto, BWV 1049, recorded in 2011. The sound and performance is wonderful. Yarlung's gold discs are imprinted with "German Audiophile Pressing, High Resolution Virgin Polycarbonate, Yarlung Special Alloy."
    Producer: Bob Attiyeh
    Recording Engineering: Ted Ancona & Phil Richards
    Mastering Engineer: Steve Hoffman

Lieberson, Lorraine Hunt - Lorraine_ Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra.jpg

16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The VERY first classical LP I bought was the Sir Thomas Beecham recording with the Royal Philharmonic—His Royal Philharmonic, the best orchestra little liver pills can buy. It was a Seraphim reissue, $2 at some drug store. I didn't realize until many years later that this was not only Beecham's last recording, it was his last music making of any sort—it was a rehearsal that was recorded, performed in it's entirety, the real session to follow—not! It is a great performance, and a fitting end for the marvelously Bombastic Sir Thomas. I recall hearing bits from other Richard Strauss tone poems in Heldenleben. But the truth is that the very last works of Richard Strauss exist in another, and superior, musical dimension. Somewhere in the territory of the deeply felt Metamorphosen, a new composer emerges, one chagrined by the excesses of his youth. There's very few melody lines as beautiful and as natural as the first movement of the Oboe Concerto:

I'd send you a Red Tail Ale myself, but the transponder is fubar.

wolfram likes this.
  17. sgb

sgb Senior Member

And their first digital release was?

18. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

The best on record of the Brahms IMO.

19. George P

I was tempted, but I already have about 20 or so volumes. Plus, I like the old packaging - no, I love it!

20. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

:cheers:

Robin L likes this.
  21. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

looks like the first was 'New Year's in Vienna',a 2-LP set with Willi Boskovsky conducting the Vienna Philharmonic,
    recorded in the Grosser Saal of the Musikverein 12/30-31/78 & 1/1/79.released on Decca & London 4/79.on 12/4-6/78
    Decca had held their first digital recording sessions in the Sofiensaal with Christoph von Dohnanyi conducting the VPO
    in Mendelssohn's 4th Symphony & two Overtures.these were released by Decca 6/79 & London 7/79.engineers were
    Colin Moorfoot for the Dohnanyi & James Lock for the Boskovsky.

22. sgb

sgb Senior Member

And mine:

[​IMG]

23. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Right, I had a preorder for that record at Henry Stave when it was announced. Where is the info on it available?

24. George P

[​IMG]

My third try at getting through this 69 minute CD.

From Wiki:

25. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

[​IMG]

Enjoying this from the Mozart 111 box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.