Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #45)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

At 42:00 minutes, the CD started skipping wildly. Satie would have laughed, I think.

Robin L likes this.
  2. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

there is a Decca discography at the CHARM website. www.charm.kcl.ac.uk/discography/decca.html

3. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

016.JPG
    Epic LC 3506.reviewed in Billboard 12/22/58.i don't know if these recordings were released or even recorded in stereo.this is a
    a Canadian pressing-i haven't seen a U.S. Epic with this blue label.recorded Oct./Nov. 1957 & Mar. 1958.i wonder what Szell thought
    of the cover.

4. AllenRascoe

AllenRascoe New Member

Hello Everyone,
    I am new to this board and am having a fun time rediscovering classical music. However, I must say that the sheer number of choices of recordings is overwhelming. I have recently purchased "Decca Sound", "Philips Original Jackets", and many of "RCA Living Stereo SACDs" (as well as having "Mercury Living Presence Vol. 2" on pre-order). These box sets seem to be amazing deals and yet still there is so much to choose from. I would value any suggestions as to what is some more essential listening. I was looking at "Mozart 111 Masterworks" and "Beethoven Masterworks" by Deutsche Grammaphon. They look like pretty definitive sets but I was wondering if you all would suggest these sets for jumping in to Mozart and Beethoven OR would you suggest other alternatives such as picking up different box sets or performances? Are the performances on these sets considered to be some of the best? Also, any thoughts on "EMI Eminence: Original Jacket Collection"?
    Thanks so much for taking the time to read my words and any help would be appreciated!
    Peace,
    Allen
    PS-I have been looking for the first volume of "Mercury Living Presence"...any tips or suggestions on where or even if possible to locate (ebay probably)? Also, what is possibility of a reissue?

5. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Hi AllenR.

I wouldn't bother with the EMI eminence collection - more something for collectors who have a soft spot for that stuff. It was an EMI label which focussed on new performers. Some decent stuff on there but I don't think any of the discs could be regarded as definitive.

The Mozart box looks great if you don't have any of those discs already. Quality material.

As we were talking about it earlier, I would suggest the Rubinstein box. It can be picked up cheaply now as it looks like they are getting rid of the stock. A number of classic performances and very few (if any) poor discs. Perfect piano box.

And the Ashkenazy box is excellent, very high quality and lots of definitive versions. Plus you get piano stuff and discs of him conducting.

6. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this recent purchase.

7. George P

[​IMG]

After sampling some of this, I decided to order a used copy from amazon. This appears to be the only recording that exists of Rachmaninoff's SQs.

8. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

CD number 5 in player...

[​IMG]

Cheap box from Brilliant Classics, but well-played so far. I once got four Brilliant boxes and they all had the very same error (in the code) on one cd. So after that I've bought Brilliant Classics cd's only when something really special has been available... And all records has to be checked.

9. George P

Now enjoying:

Ivan Moravec

Schumann: Kinderszenen
    Schumann: Arabesque, Op. 18
    Brahms: Capriccio in B minor, Op. 76, No. 2
    Brahms: Three Intermezzi, Op. 117, Nos. 1, 2, and 3
    Rhapsody in G minor, Op. 79, No. 2
    - Nonesuch 79063, 1984, LP (Digital)

Sadly, never released on CD.

10. John S

John S Forum Resident

A Steelhead Pale would've found a way to swim through that wormhole. ;)

11. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

Has anyone purchased or heard The All Baroque Box from Monteverdi to Bach? My wife is a Baroque fanatic and I was thinking of picking this up for her.

12. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

I have it. IMO, it contains quite a few reference recordings from the 'Archiv Produktion' imprint. The box is also a work of art - literally. Unlike some other recent releases, however, there is no download link for full texts, only synopses. Highly recommended.

13. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

That should be a good sampler box ...

14. coopmv

Just placed the order on the following boxes in spite of some duplicates - I already have the original Jochum's Bruckner box ...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. coopmv

Now playing CD6 from the following set for a first listen ...
    [​IMG]

16. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I didn't buy very many new recordings issued in 2012, but I am very glad to have these two:

Daniele Gatti
    Orchestre National de France
    Debussy
    Sony, 2012
    Gatti, Daniele - Debussy_ La Mer; Prélude À L'après-Midi D'un Faun; Images.jpg

Stephane Deneve
    Royal Scottish National Orchestra
    Debussy
    Chandos, 2012
    2CD/SACD

Denève_ Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Stéphane - Debussy_ Orchestral Works.jpg

Did you find any 2012 new recordings that you recommend?

17. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

Thanks for this...based on the 2 replies I bought it. Got what I feel is a great price from an Ebay seller in my neck of the woods.

18. coopmv

Easter is around the corner and I have not played this set in over 10 years. Now playing CD1 of the following set, which is OOP IIRC ...
    [​IMG]

19. coopmv

20. coopmv

Now playing CD2 of the following set. The Concentus Musicus Wien and the Stockholm Chamber Choir performed this very English Oratorio quite admirably ...
    [​IMG]

21. coopmv

And you finally bought a turntable, George?

22. George P

Nope.

23. coopmv

MP3 file recorded off the LP?

24. George P

FLAC

25. coopmv

I am a digital Dino, still don't know how to produce a FLAC file ... :D

One of these days, I will start digitizing my LP collection ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.