The Chambers Brothers "Time Has Come Today" original unedited version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stax Fan, Nov 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anybody know where this can be had? The 1996 Columbia/Legacy CD "Time Has Come: The Best Of The Chambers Brothers" offers two versions, but both are single edits. Anybody who has heard the original unedited version knows the phasey, echoed middle section is considerably longer. I've heard this unedited version a few times on the radio over the years, but I'm not sure where it was available.

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Mastered by Steve on Rock Of The '70s Vol 5, although it does sound as if there was an azimuth problem somewhere, not apparent on some of the other versions I've heard.

3. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Hi Arin, at least 2 cds:

The Time Has Come - Columbia CK 9522
    The Time Has Come - Columbia CK 63984

The second is a 2000 remaster. The first a late 80s issue. I can't find a date on the booklet. Obviously OOP.

The 2nd one is here for a mere $9.09
    http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?style=MUSIC&pid=1088340&cart=131252604

mud-

4. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

I have the Legacy remaster of "The Time Has Come" (CK63984) and it has the long version.

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

It's also on DCC's Underground Radio. I forgot which volume it was on, though.

6. Stax Fan

Sweet. Thanks guys.

7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

It's also on the "Chambers Brothesr Greatest Hits" album issued in the 1960s on LP and reissued on CD in 1987.

8. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Volume One. Which, the last time I checked, is avalible from Tom Port at www.dccblowout.com .

9. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

BTW, Highly recomended!:)

10. Stax Fan

Looks like I might end up getting it a few different places! Thanks again. :)

11. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Make that two thumbs up, or would that be four?;)

Vol. 1 is a stunner. Haven't heard Vol. 2--how's that one?

12. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

The Chambers Brothers I have:

The Time Has Come (Columbia/Legacy/Sony Music Entertainment Inc) 2000
    CK 63984
    Time Has Come Today 11:06
    Time Has Come Today (single version one) 3:52
    Columbia single 4-43816

Even More Nuggets - Classics from the Psychedelic Sixties, Vol. 3 (Rhino Records Inc) 1989
    R2 75754
    Time Has Come Today 4:57
    September 1966

Dick Bartley presents Collector's Essentials The Original Hit Singles
    On The Radio Volume Three (Varèse Sarabande Records Inc/Varèse Vintage) 1998
    VSD-5973
    Time Has Come Today (stereo radio edit) 3:09
    Columbia single 44414

I have only posted what I found in the booklets or on the discs. I know it duplicates some already known info. But I thought this might add some further info.

13. Stax Fan

Bingo...that's the one I'm after. Thanks! Funny how I was just looking for that one unedited track, now I've got several of these other CDs that've been mentioned in my sights. :)

14. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

Glad we were all of some help.

It seems theyoriginally recorded "Time Has Come Today" in the late summer/early fall of 1966 for a single.

About a year later, the eleven minute version was recorded on August 9, 1967. It was a totally new recording of the song.

Some radio DJs complained about the length of the single ( I believe they were complaining about the version on the Rhino CD which was 4:57 in length) or what have you, and, Columbia created a radio edit.

Now, the part I don't know is the exact chronology of the singles and their respective lengths and/or mix.

I'm not even sure how many single versions were released, both commercial and for radio.

Great record, no matter what version.

15. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Very Nice, but Vol.1 is the best! But I like em' both.:righton:

16. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

I haven't heard 1 (just ordered it), but 2 is EXCELLENT!

17. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Since you asked....

The first version of "Time Has Come Today" appeared on a 45 in 1966 (Columbia 4-43816) with a B-side of "Dinah." A completely different recording than the later version, this lasts only 2:37.

The Chambers Brothers re-recorded it for their album The Time Has Come, which was issued in either late 1967 or early 1968. It first appeared on the Billboard Top LP's chart on Feburary 17, 1968 and is listed as existing in both mono (Columbia CL 2722) and stereo (Columbia CS 9522). "Time Has Come Today" was 11:06 here; it started to become a hit on "underground" FM stations, which didn't have restrictions on the length of songs they played.

Eventually, a single was concocted. Based on my study of several copies of this 45, there are at least three different edits of the LP version:

The first edit was the 3:05 version. I have a promo of this version with the words "Special Rush Reservice" on the label. But the two sides of this double-sided mono pressing have "1B" and "1F" after the master number in the trail-off wax, leading me to believe that this is the first single edit.

There presumably was a second edit, about which I know nothing. (A mysterious 3:31 version, in stereo, has shown up on a couple CDs, but I don't know whether it's this version or a new creation.) I say this because ...

The "hit" version is the 4:45 edit. It has the same master number as the 3:05 version, but an early pressing I have has the suffix "3B" after the master. How early is this pressing? It's a stock copy, but it still has the "3:05" time on the label and it also has no reference to the album on the label. When the label time was corrected to 4:45, Columbia added a reference to the album The Time Has Come to the print under the song title.

To make life even more confusing, there is a 4:51 stereo edit that has appeared on many CDs in recent years. But this is not the same as the 4:45 mono single version, although it is very close. The biggest difference: The mono single is slightly faster than the stereo re-creation. Fortunately, the mono hit single version has appeared on CD.

18. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

I found the album "The Time Has Come" by The Chambers Brothers (on vinyl) at a thrift store today. I have never heard the unedited version of the title track before. I've listened to that song 5 straight times, and I am amazed by it. I need to hit the bed now and probably won't get to hear it again till late tomorrow afternoon. When I get home from work tomorrow, I'll probably listen to it several more times before moving on. I have the shorter, single version on a comp CD and the full version blows it away. Just expressing my joy over a newfound pleasure!:pleased:

ggergm and Urban Spaceman like this.
  19. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

What a fascinating history to this song. I never knew. Not sure how many of the edited versions I've heard (including the original 45). It really surprises me that so many folks never heard the full-length version (from the debut Columbia LP). That's the first version I heard - not being on the planet when the song was a "hit" on AM radio. Wasn't the full-length version occasionally played on FM rock radio into the early 80s? I could swear that's where I first heard the song.........
    -------- Chris

20. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

I bought the album in the seventies at the time when a lot of Columbia albums were reissued and packaged without inner sleeves. I never understood why they did that. A paper sleeve must have been too expensive for them back then....

21. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

One less piece of equipment to operate too.

22. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I had NO IDEA there was an alternate recording on 45 (the version on the B-side). Now I need to seek out a copy!

23. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

The long version was an FM staple. It's also on their vinyl hits record, The Chambers Brothers' Greatest Hits, Columbia Stereo C 30871. That's the version I've got.

Upthread and 11 years ago, Gary mentions the long version is also on one of DCC's Underground Radio CDs. I have those and will have to pull it out. It's mastered by Steve Hoffman.

24. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I came across this $5.00 bargain on amazon. Mastered by Mark Wilder and produced by Bob Irwin. Includes the 1966 single version of Time Has Come Today that Columbia rejected.
    Time has Come: The Best of the Chambers Brothers
    1. Time Has Come Today [Single Edit-Version 2]
    2. All Strung Out over You
    3. People Get Ready
    4. I Can't Stand It
    5. Uptown
    6. I Can't Turn You Loose
    7. A New Time, A New Day
    8. You Got the Power (To Turn Me On)
    9. Are You Ready [Single Version] mono
    10. Wake Up [From the Motion Picture The April Fools]
    11. Love, Peace and Happiness [Single Version]
    12. Let's Do It (Do It Together)
    13. New Generation [Single Version]
    14. Funky
    15. Wade in the Water [Live]
    16. Time Has Come Today [Single Version One- Rejected Version] mono

On the subject of the Chambers Brothers, does anyone remember their appearance on a show called "Showcase '68" which was a Battle of the Bands type series hosted by Lloyd Thaxton?

25. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

As I recall, their label didn't want them to record "Time Has Come Today". They snuck into the studio, and only had one take. That take ended up being 11 minutes long, and the sound effects were done live. Dunno if that's actually true or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.