What are the best sounding Jimi Hendrix CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harlanator, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Kinda agree. They all could be much better. To me, overall the best is the alternate mix West German Axis Bold As Love.
    The Ultimate Hendrix HDCD sounds pretty good HDCD encoded but there is some No Noise...not as bad as some though.

2. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Well, I'm glad this has been cleared up and settled once and for all.

Guy E likes this.
  3. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

It was cleared up and settled here in 2007 :)

4. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Rose River Bear posted:
    EAC values for AYE Non RE
    Track 9 Peak level 58.4 % - Track 3 Peak level 96.2 %
    too me, that's a beautiful thing; any one think we'd see that on a 20-teens ceedee*?!?!

* Monday I was at my fave dance club in The City & Adel was spun. Ugh! Lifeless dull thud!!
    It was fun watching the goth kids dancing too it tho!!!

Welcome aboard the Reprise non-RE-1 Train [paddel driven riverboat actually] John Buchanan!
    (bout time! JJ)

EDitEDbyED:
    yeah! these Reprise [pre-RE-1] ceedees aren't purr-fect either!!

5. Rose River Bear

I was not expecting the differences I posted between the Alternate Mix Axis and the Final Mix Axis. I thought they would be almost exactly the same.

6. Rose River Bear

I used to think the remasters sounded OK. I never had the Non RE versions until I hung out on this forum. Big difference between the Non RE, RE, and the remasters. You can't crank those remasters out of fear of your ears abdicating your head. :D
    The Non RE's are the best IMO.

E.Baba likes this.
  7. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I guess I agree, but they are heavily-compressed and more recent releases such as West Coast Seattle Boy and the new People, Hell & Angels are less aggressive.

I've got my own CDR mix of the First Rays material and I reduced the output level on most tracks by -5.0dB... some a little less. I also ran an "audio restoration" command that expands the compressed signal back to a normal-looking WAV file. You can't put back what's been taken away, but I'm convinced that they're more listenable that way, if only because the volume knob adjustment isn't a friggin' surgical procedure.

[email protected] likes this.
  8. Rose River Bear

The EH remasters are pretty rough on the ears. However, there is a lot of stuff other than the first three albums so what can you do.

9. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

10. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

HD, it's now 2013!
    Catalog is now w/Sony [= Blu-ray & SA-CD]!!
    GRRR! as much as I hatED that Stone's "title"; yep I want an LPCM (nix the other HiRez formats & save the space) 96/24 Blu-ray "studio only" well masterED mono & stereo [all the cuts fr: singles, "AYE", "A:BAL", "EL", "SH", & "CoL" that fit] release!!!

Not too be greedy or anything; that would be only having Steve at the controls!!!!

11. love4another

love4another Forum Resident

Yes i agree!

12. doug pitts

doug pitts Forum Resident

This is probably a dumb question, but is there any differencr between the 1998 remaster and the 2010 Sony?

13. doug pitts

When I say "2010 Sony", I'm not certain it's Sony. It's the one with the orangey "Authorized Hendrix Family", etc. sticker on it. Is this better than the 1998 remaster? The BOG I have had has the light green Capitol label, but no booklet, only a single page insert, folded in half. It does have the original cover art, but on the one page (inside the page is indeed the original photo from the original gatefold LP, but that's about it). There is no date anywhere on it (other than the 1970 in fine print). Eddie Kramer is mentioned as being one of 2 people remixing, but no mention of remastering. Having said that, would my getting the "Authorized Family" version be worthwhile - better sound, good booklet, etc.?

Tim Bexter likes this.
  14. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Your copy of BOG is the 25th Anniversary copy (1995) I think (check the catalogue number). IMHO, either the 1997 EH/MCA or the EH/Sony are better, despite some compression. The booklet is a vast improvement in the EH versions. There has been no remixing done of this album on CD.....yet. The soundtrack to the video of the Fillmore performance of Band Of Gypsys on "Jimi Hendrix Band Of Gypsys" DVD has been remixed.

15. doug pitts

Thanks!

16. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Just want to chime in. Long time fan; actually got to see Jimi play twice before he passed (wow !!!! ). Anyway....

I have most releases over the years and find the 2010 CD-DVD releases of Experience, Axis, Ladyland & First Rays of the Rising Sun to be awesome; particularly the DVD audio.

Cheers -Zafu

Jam757 and David del Toro like this.
  17. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Congrats; which shows??

What (if any) music tracks are on the DVD('s)?
    Or, are you just saying you like the sound of the clips of songs on the doc(s)?
    BIG thanks.

18. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Hi Big Ed,

Not sure of exact date but in 1969 saw them at Madison Square Garden in NYC. It was a revolving stage which clearly drove Jimi nuts as well as the number of flash bulbs going off. It was a circus; but the music was incredible. It was the period of Electric Ladyland and I was 15.

2nd & last time was back at the Garden but thank goodness on a stationary stage at a show called the "Festival for Peace" on 1/28/1970. He only played about 3 songs and it was very weird. That said, it was also very jaw dropping. Jimi in concert was indeed an experience and one that's impossible to convey in words. I've seen all the great bands that today are considered "classic" and Jimi was in a class of his own. I became a huge Hendrix fan and when he passed away I was in shock.

Also had a chance to see him at Woodstock but missed him. It was Sunday morning and I was back in my cottage sleeping; of course back then, who would of thought any of it would ever end.

-Zafu

19. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Yes, an "experience" that's for sure!
    5/18/69 audio only:

5/18/69 set list:
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-j...dison-square-garden-new-york-ny-33d49829.html
    1/28/70 audio clip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpAdcNBetFg
    the warmup/tuneup BLOWS my mind; lot's of other vids as well!

For me it was the "Sex Pistols"; I'd seen many, many a BIG band (& a lot of punk bands as well).
    Yet no one comandED the stage like when the 'Pistols' walked out into the Winterland arena [second place too the 'Airplane' all so at "WL"].
    Powerful!

What bout the sound of the DVD('s)?
    Those are just clips, right?!?!

20. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

The edits were redone on BOG, though, when EH released it. I also have the older 1995 edition, and I keep that one due to Billy Cox having signed it for me. The copy I listen to is the Classic Records version needledrop (which I did myself). I haven't heard it sound better than that one!

21. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The only one I noticed was the introduction of the band which changed from a very rough fade up to a drop in.

22. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing. :agree:

23. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

The edits were redone for We Gotta Live Together as well.

24. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Yes, but its so minor that it's unimportant.

Example, "Long Hot Summer Night" has a small drop in the track and its been filled in on the Sony issue. I know that because I thought I had a defect with the 1997 release and I replaced it on iTunes. Other than that, I can't say there's anything else to note. It's not like the difference between the Reprise discs and the EH discs.

25. jymy

jymy Senior Member

Axis 2010 sounds clearly different from the '97 remaster, and not in a good way, a bit muffled and left/right balance was different.