I'm new and have a question re: vinyl vs. CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rain Greene, Mar 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rain Greene

Rain Greene New Member Thread Starter

Hi,

Just joined, but I'm worried I've come to the wrong place, since I see a lot of thread titles talking about CD and remasters and such.

I've recently chucked the digital stuff and gone back to LP for sound quality reasons. So I'm wondering if I've come to the right place. If this forum is all about getting excited for the latest superloud amped-up CD "remaster" then I haven't.

Just checking.

And hi.

2. schwarcw

schwarcw Forum Resident

Welcome to the SH Foru,!

A lot of vinyl and digital lovers here. We're all mostly music lovers and here to talk music in all forms.

Carl

3. Rain Greene

So I can step up on my soap box and advocate vinyl and not be persecuted? LOL. If so, I'm might stick around.

4. waxtomcat

waxtomcat Forum Resident

Welcome to the forum. Do the smart thing and cut up all your credit cards immediately!

Don't worry lots of love for vinyl here.

fluffskul and Dave like this.
  5. Rain Greene

Too late on the credit card thing. LOL.

6. auburn278

auburn278 Forum Resident

Hi! There are plenty of people here who are really into vinyl. Don't worry - you are in good company. :)

7. Rain Greene

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

8. sami

sami Mono still rules

You might want to do some searches. I think you'd find that your suspicions are very much unfounded, specifically with regard to anything resembling excitement over super loud remasters.

Remains to be seen if you have started yet another of the never ending vinyl vs. CD wars.

9. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Remasters are always better than the original. Mostly because they're so much louder - they sound better!!!! I always throw the old version in the trash when I get a new one. Throwing out that crappy black triangle Abbey Road CD was the best thing I ever did since when I replaced my original UK vinyl with the black triangle in the first place.

And who would want to listen to snap crackle pop vinyl. Yuk!

We like good sound here regardless of the source.

10. Rain Greene

LOL. That's not even a war, it's a no brainer. I have not started one though...yet. Or maybe I just did.

11. Rain Greene

LOL. You're facetiousness is duly noted...and thanks for the welcome. :D

12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I see what you did there. :laughup:

13. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Records rule here - always have. Anyone who tells you different has a waveform to sell. :)

JulesRules, sami and PhilBiker like this.
  14. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

15. Rain Greene

LMAO.

16. PhilBiker

I was going to post without the last line just to make it more ridiculous. Then I remembered what I'm using as an avatar on this forum and thought it wouldn't really have the effect I was looking for. :) Since you're a member go over to the "Long and Winding" forum and look for the "Listening now on vinyl" threads. Post in the current one regularly (you can see what I'm listening to right now there).

17. Rain Greene

I did nothing. I get his point totally. :D

18. Rain Greene

Thanks!!!

19. Myke

20. PhilBiker

That thread makes me scared to sell vinyl here. I know I won't be able to pack it well.

21. PhilBiker

Plus I never sell vinyl. I just gave a nice Yamaha turntable with Signet cartridge to a friend along with a stack of about 50 records. Sharing the wealth from recent purges I've received.

22. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

A war between vinyl and cd? Why? It's the mastering, only the mastering, which really counts for sonical quality. Not (or almost not) the format.

For me the choice for vinyl has been more a case of having enough rooms left for storing. After starting with vinyl I chose once for purchasing only cd's. And I'm pleased with that owning now 7000 items. As cd owner I'm able to store my collection in just some cabinets. Would these be all records, I would have to buy another appartment. :)

snkcube likes this.
  23. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

No reason to get on a soap box to preach about vinyl here. As they say, you'd be preachin' to the choir.

What I mean is, there are a great number of people who appreciate vinyl on this forum and have figured out how their love of vinyl fits into this digital world. You'll find most SH people appreciate vinyl and digital playback of various forms--they're music lovers.

Occasionally, you'll find people here who are extremists (hate vinyl or hate CDs). I personally did not come here for that party and don't like to see the unnecessary arguments (IMO) ensue.

24. Myke

Sure you could. Got one from a Discogs buy today. Standard LP mailer, 2 pieces of corrugated on either side of a bagged Illinois Speed Press 1st album, record in inner sleeve, behind jacket.
    Simple.

25. Rain Greene

You are coated in awesome sauce. Thank you, sir.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.