I'm new and have a question re: vinyl vs. CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rain Greene, Mar 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rain Greene

Rain Greene New Member Thread Starter

It's not just the mastering. Wish it was. Tried to tell myself that for a while, but no. It's not just the mastering.

2. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Where's that popcorn? :)

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

:-popcorn:

TLMusic likes this.
  4. tolkev

tolkev Rain Dog

Hey welcome. I've been a member for about 3 years so I'm by no means an expert, but I've been collecting LP's since '74 and share your love of records. I enjoy CD and SACD's too. The bottom line is sometimes the CD sounds better and sometimes the vinyl sounds better. I can tell you this, you won't be persecuted by any of the members who are worth listening to, but unfortunately, there is a minority of hacks who will jump all over some irrelevant detail in your post and try to stir you up. Or attack your position directly as if they are an authority on something as subjective as experiencing music. My advice is do not get sucked into an argument with some cheap shot thread crapping troublemaker. Keep an open mind and you can learn a lot from the forum veterans. Also, fill out you equipment list. You don't need to have super-expensive gear to be taken seriously, but some members do look at what your listening on in order to make a more informed response to your post. Best. -tolkev

drasil, TLMusic and Dave like this.
  5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

What's your position on Mono & stereo ?

6. Rain Greene

How do I fill out EQ list?

7. tolkev

tolkev Rain Dog

I haven't done it since they changed the site, and actually need to update with my new SACD player. I think it's in the "about" section of your profile.

Ah ha... it's "personal details"

8. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Definitely fill out your system profile to give people a reference point when reading your threads. Here's mine (click "information" tab)- you can decide to disregard my threads now because of my low-fi sytem.

9. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Go to your name (up right) and choose 'personal details'. There you can fill in all you want.

10. Rain Greene

Done.

11. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Even better than vinyl is leather.

PhilBiker likes this.
  12. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

You might occasionally get persecuted, but you'll get tons of defenders if you do. Just stick to your guns and don't play the haters' game. Everything will be cool.

Welcome.

13. drasil

drasil Former Resident

excellent, I'm not the new guy anymore.

14. JustVinyl

JustVinyl Forum Resident

I rediscovered vinyl a few years back after many, many years of CD (since 1985) ... prompted by one brickwall too far.

At that point I said no more digital and concentrated 100% on analog.

That position softened and these days I would say I am now about 80% analog, 20% digital ... there is room for both and both can sound great if care is taken to do the homework before buying.

There are some exceptions, for really new titles that I am very interested to hear where the CD may be released before the vinyl. I buy it (regardless of mastering) ... ultimately only the music matters and if I can get a better sounding source later then all is good.

15. Rain Greene

We should talk privately. LMAO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.