DCC Archive Any Richie Havens Fans?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TommyTunes, Sep 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

Sunday night I pulled out the CD issue of Mixed Bag, which I haven't heard in ages. All I can say is wow true audiophile quality!
    Great naturally recorded vocals. This made me revisit some of his LP's. I must say that I was never aware of how well most were recorded.
    It's a shame that he was almost pushed aside after the 60's and reduced to doing commericals. What a great soulful voice although some song selections were a bit odd.
    :)

2. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

From time to time, I have seen excerpts from Richie Havens live concerts on TV (well, not MTV, exactly...), newer stuff included. This man has a very strong and convincing presence, indeed. His voice and his guitar playing are very special. I only have his "Resumé" CD on Rhino. "God Bless The Child" is one of the most beautiful anthems I have ever heard - and also one of my all time favourite records.

3. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I have three or four of his albums on CD. Mixed Bag is easily my favorite. As recently as three years ago he was still giving amazing performances in concert.

4. houston

houston Forum Resident

I guess the only response to this thread, in 11 1/2 years, was 5 minutes ago, says volumes about Richie Havens :winkgrin:

5. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I saw him in a small club in the mid-70's and he put on a terrific show, quite powerful.

6. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I like him. Always liked his guitar playing, great rhythms. I have his first few albums.

7. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

I'm a HUGE Richie Havens fan. There's nobody like him, with that wonderful, warm voice and the intensely rhythmic guitar style. All of his albums have something to recommend them, but his sixties and seventies output in particular is excellent. I could compile a long list of songs that he covered that equal or surpass the original artist versions. Saw him in a small venue several years ago, and he was outstanding. I've heard his health is not good these days. His 1983 album is one of my favorites.

Warren Hawk likes this.
  8. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

He did his Woodstock performance without his teeth. Great, never the less...

9. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

I own a bunch of Richie Havens LPs

Mirage
    On Stage
    Alarm Clock
    Mixed Bag
    The Great Blind Degree
    The End Of The Beginning
    Portfolio

Mixed Bag is my favourite. Love I Can't Make It Anymore.

10. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I have Stonehenge, Mixed Bag and Grace of the Sun which might be my favorite. It has a version of Woodstock and All Along the Watchtower. I like it just a bit better than Mixed Bag.

11. houston

houston Forum Resident

I read a review that said his Woodstock performance lacked "teeth"....

now I understand what the reviewer meant ;)

12. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I love Mixed Bag. I've always wondered why he changed the lyrics to Morning, Morning, making it less dark than the Fugs original.

13. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

I liked him since I first heard "Hansome Johnny" on the radio. I saw him in 2008 and he put on a good show. Still warm and gracious. Talked with all that stayed and autographed any items, brought or bought.

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Richie has one of the great voices of the era. Great performer. Only have seen him once, about 10 years ago at my hometown's (Wilton, Ct) little beach (read: man made swimming hole) if you can believe it. He was great: funny, energetic, in great voice, even kicked his legs about head high in the air at one point.

Mixed Bag is indeed a very nice sounding CD from the early days of CD production.

I have a Rhino and Ryko comp but nothing else. While we're on good sounding discs, how are his more recent releases?

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

I have a batch of his albums (vinyl LPs) and that one early CD collection on Ryko from the late 80s. I've seen Richie a handful of times and enjoyed his shows every time. I am especially fond of the Richard P. Havens 1983 album. I have played that many, many times. Wouldn't want to be without that one!
    ---------- Chris

16. Jeffczar

Jeffczar Well-Known Member

Love him. He did an obscure album in the early 80s called Connections. When I was a teenager I played it to death. I still love it. It has some awesome covers of We've Got To Tonight, Ole 55, Every Night, and 2 killer tracks which I think were originals called Mama We're Gonna Dance, and Here's A Song. An excellent rare album that to my knowledge has never been issued on CD, snag it if you ever see it !

Hep Alien likes this.
  17. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

His version of "Strawberry Fields Forever" at Woodstock is brilliant

18. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I think I have the Alarm Clock album, can't be sure (if so, very much a CBS Pitman pressing with their Linotype [and some Intertype] label fonts), but I definitely have his (single edit) version of "Here Comes the Sun" and follow-up "I've Got to Get to Know Myself" on 45. Among my favorite "deep tracks" of his, from his Richard P. Havens, 1983 double-LP, are "For Haven's Sake" and "Cautiously." (I've always thought the chord played on the Hammond B3 organ at different points of Blue Öyster Cult's "[Don't Fear] The Reaper" was too reminiscent, to my ears, of the same chord played at one point between "Where are you's" on the former track.)

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

One if my favorite artists of all time and a great man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.