The Walking Dead on AMC (part 2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

April -> October. Little more than half a year (but I'm sure it will feel like a year).

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ah, I'm bummed-out that you were right. Andrea was actually my favorite character -- she grew from a whiney @@@@ to a character capable of action, unselfishness, and well-intended thinking. I expected the Governor to bite the dust and was surprised when he hasn't; they're really dragging this out much too long, especially given that we're going to have to wait another six months for new episodes.

Many unanswered questions: how many are left at the Governor's Woodbury? Who among the new characters who showed up will be key regulars? How will they fix up the prison to stop future infestations? How screwed up is Carl, the kid, getting? How long before they fire the next showrunner? (I have many questions.)

Here's some previews on the next season, from Entertainment Weekly:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/01/the-walking-dead-exclusive-season-4-preview-video/

BTW, note that this season finale just got the highest ratings in history: 12.4 million viewers, which I think might be a record for basic cable. Hell, it's pretty damned good for network TV! I think AMC won the night.

3. Steve in Omaha

Steve in Omaha Never kissed a bear, never kissed a goon

How weird is this? From today's Hints From Heloise in the local paper:

Dear Readers: Other uses for pliers:
    • Use to open difficult cans.
    • Hold a match to light a fireplace.
    • For pulling weeds.
    • Use to remove a perfume nozzle.
    • Use to thread shoelaces.
    Obviously need to add "Dispatch a zombie."

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Oh good..I feel better now!:D

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

She did not know that the pliers were there until Milton told her. There was less talking after that, but what talking there was I am sure was to try to keep Milton talking/conscious while she was struggling with the pliers.

6. Ken_McAlinden

As far as the Woodbury leftovers, I read it as Rick seeing the governor as not just a dark reflection of himself, but also an indication of where Carl may be headed. The experience with Morgan was the initial catalyst for Rick's turnaround, but I think his concern about the road down which Carl is headed solidified it. The Governor gunning down the townspeople and Carl's snapping at Rick about weakness/failings post-killing of the surrendering teen are philosophically along the same sociopathic trajectory. As a gesture, integrating the Woodbury citizens demonstrates a commtment to humanity/society.

My biggest disappointment with the episode was the anticlimax of the prison siege. They blew a bunch of stuff up, but they did not execute it like a first class action sequence where the geography of the action is established and the motivations and strategies of both sides are understood either from the build-up or from the filmed action itself. An audience member has every right to assume that if you are not allowed to see or hear the details of the Prison group's defense plans in advance, that you will be surprised with something cool and innovative. Anything less, and you have a right to be disappointed, and I was.

I thought the whole Andrea-Milton sequence was great. The set-up was clear, it made you want to yell at the screen like any good suspense sequence should, the actors both delivered the goods, and Director Ernest Dickerson did a nice technical job with the way it was shot and cut together. I do wonder if Woodbury's professional pedicurist was one of the people the Governor gunned down, though. ;)

Another minor gripe was the way they staged the shooting with Carl. (I don't know the name of the Woodbury teen boy, so I will just call him "Greedo"). It seemed like the dramatic point of the scene was supposed to be Carl shooting a guy who was surrendering, with the viewer wondering whether it was in cold blood or out of fear. The scales would be tipped towards "cold blood" by the subsequent conversation with Rick. When "Greedo" is told to drop his weapon and he instead starts walking closer to Carl and saying "I'll give it to you", that almost justified the shooting and made it more ambiguous than it should have been, especially given Hershel's subsequent description of events.

7. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Can anyone who has read the graphic novels advise how closely the plot/storylines of the the TV show follow that of the print version?

IMO, the third season ran out of gas in the second half. Way too talky.

8. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I felt that the opening segment in the torture room was the best part of the season finale... after that everything became drawn out and dull. The future interactions between Carl and Rick have promise for the next season, that is really the only thing keeping me hanging on at this point.

9. bundee1

bundee1 Forum Resident

SPOILERS just in case

Series is veering away from the comic books at a quicker pace than I expected. I watched the episode on a weak internet stream (Im moving so no cable atm) and the episode kept cutting out. It cut out as the kid was lowering his shotty but still pointing it at Carl. I didnt know Carl gunned the kid down until the stream came back up and Hershel and Rick were talking about it. There is a similar scene in the comic books that serves the same purpose but its a little colder.

I think the TV show is dragging some of these encounters out because in an Apocalypse outside antagonists are getting harder to come by. Internal strife should start up again but hopefully without hourlong expository monologues.

There is a point in the comic books were something clicks in Ricks head and he gets his **** together and sees a way forward. I dont know if were there yet with the show but taking in the townspeople was significant.

10. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

I concur. :love:

I liked watching her character evolve over the course of the series and truly rooted for her when she stopped drinking the Woodbury Kool-Aid and decided to take action instead of planning the next barbeque.

I thought for sure Andrea could get things done when everyone else just wanted to stand around and talk. That sequence with the zombies in the warehouse was top notch and I was seriously bummed that she never made it back to the prison, especially after her talk with Herschel about how she belonged with Rick & Co.; how they're family.

Andrea only became unpopular because she sometimes made bonehead choices, namely the safety and security of Woodbury over a life on the run with Michonne. Remember, the winter post Herschel's farm nearly killed her! I probably would've picked Woodbury, too.

Her backstory made Andrea quite complex and I would have loved to see how her past affected future character motivations in forthcoming episodes. And hey, she was pretty great with a gun. Knives, not so much. Maybe I just have a thing for tough blondes. :cool:

Vidiot likes this.
  11. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

As far as I'm concerned Andrea lost her way when she put a romp in bed with the (at the time) seemingly nice Governor over Michonne- it's not like Michonne was just someone she met....she saved her life back near the farm and they formed a bond.....as soon as she turned her back on that kind of a friend I was ready for her character to be dispatched.

Solaris and Get2Me like this.
  12. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

Point taken. That's one of the bonehead choices Andrea made. But I guess the lure of "normalcy" or life as it was before was too great to ignore. Clearly, that decision to stay drove a wedge between her and Michonne.

13. Hey it had been awhile since she had sex. Good for her....

14. Ken_McAlinden

<Insert "Governor of Woodbury joke here">

15. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Not that long. She got it on with Shane not long before he died at the farm.

16. that was a long time :)

17. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

You may want to let your friends know you'll let them die in the woods if it means you can get a booty call. Sounds like you're a stand up guy!!:laugh:

18. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Not as long as it's been for some of the other characters!

Mazzy likes this.
  19. Especially the living dead ones...

Lownote30 likes this.
  20. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

You mean Ol' One-Eye? ;)

I'm surprised Sunday's Talking Dead didn't feature Laurie Holden. Or Dallas Roberts. Or even Sarah Wayne Callies, since I assume we've (finally) seen the last of her on the show.

21. Michael

this comment is very telling.:D

22. Michael

M nursed her for quite some time...what a scum that witch was...fitting end.

23. Michael

Carl has become my favorite character next to "M"...

24. Michael

in the head.:D

25. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

When that Woodbury boy did not heed the "drop the weapon" order but instead inched closer to Carl, I was yelling "shoot him, shoot him". I was dumfounded to hear Herschel tell Rick that Carl killed the boy in cold blood. That's not how I saw it at all.

[MOD: Please continue the discussion here: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/walking-dead-on-amc-part-3.309192/]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2014
    nbakid2000 and Solaris like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.