Walking Dead on AMC (part 3)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

[Continued from part 2, here: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-walking-dead-on-amc-part-2.280334/page-40#post-8729657]

exactly! that was my take on this as well...the dude was lowering his go too slowly...he would have shot both of them...if he was intending to to put the gun down he would have dropped it...but, before he let it go out of his hands he would have capped both of them.Hershel was dead wrong...but, take it from where it comes from...my wife and I were also shouting SHOOT HIM!:laugh: and he did! GOOD BOY!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2013
    hutlock and nbakid2000 like this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Nope, it was clear to me that the boy was getting ready to hand the gun over. Carl's contention was that he couldn't take the chance; I take it as an indication from the writers that Carl has become cold, cynical, and completely distrustful of any stranger in any circumstances.

Carl's entire character is a complete steal from Steven King's character "Jake" in the Dark Tower stories of the 1980s and 1990s, decades before Walking Dead appeared. He's another innocent 12-year-old kid who becomes hardened, cynical, cold, and a deadly killer over a period of time.

3. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Disagree. The other guy had a look on his face and a demeanor that suggested that he was about to try some funny business, and Carl (rightfully) took no chances with him. As others mentioned, he inched closer and kept a grip on the firearm.

When someone says "drop the weapon" and you don't open your hands and release it so it falls to the ground, then you should expect a bullet from the other fellow promptly.

4. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

I will have to rewatch, but as I remember it the guy was inching closer and closer to Carl and wasn't putting the gun down too quickly.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Hershel agrees with me. I see your point, that the kid should've been faster at dropping his weapon, but I think his intent was clear.

6. Michael

wrong...he was gonna kill 'em both...watch it again and observe the way he was lowering the gun...bang, bang he would have shot them down...
    wrong again...he was in a world YOU can never imagine or judge...none of us can in reality. NOTHING is normal in their world. a place where GUNS are a good thing and the only thing between your life and death...and little Carl is hip to that.
    ALSO do you realize that "kid" attacked them first at the Prison or did that slip your mind?IN Carl's mind he was still the enemy.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  7. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

The writers completely phased out Hershel's religious nature this season, but in this episode we see evidence that he was reading the Bible and then they ham handed their way through that shooting scene. It's just more evidence that the writers are all over the place. Hershel didn't seem to mind one bit when Rick freaked out and basically threw Tyrese and his group out of the prison, but when he comes face to face with a guy with a gun, he suddenly has issues when Carl shoots him.

Expect conflict between Rick and Hershel in season 4. That Woodbury guy was not going to surrender or put his weapon down. Why would he? The Governor has convinced the townfolk that the people at the prison are barbarians.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  8. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

My take on it was that Carl said "drop the gun" and when the other kid said "I'll hand it to you" it was in clear defiance of the instruction he'd just been given. Under the circumstances, Carl shooting him seemed reasonable to me.

JimC likes this.
  9. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Agreed. He was still pointing it at Carl/Herschel too. Could easily have made a move.

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I think the scene with the man holding the gun and asserting his surrender to Carl was ambiguous enough that you can make the case that Carl made the right call. He didn't shoot the guy after he'd dropped the gun. The guy hadn't dropped the gun and was getting closer. It was a split second decision, and arguably he did the smart thing.

11. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I just want to know where Carl got that crazy silencer for his gun! I don't remember him having that before that scene. Pretty cool though!

12. Steve in Omaha

Steve in Omaha Never kissed a bear, never kissed a goon

Looking at this leadership thing reductively:

- Rick is bat-crap crazy now
    - Daryl is a follower, not a leader
    - Merle is double dead
    - Hershel is too old and frail
    - Tyreese is too new
    - Glenn will soon be honeymooning

Carl's the new boss.

Vidiot and nbakid2000 like this.
  13. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Thanks for that. Always nice to see a spoiler out of the blue for a show I watch in an unrelated thread.

14. Steve in Omaha

Steve in Omaha Never kissed a bear, never kissed a goon

Wow, that didn't even occur to me, and I'm one who hates spoilers. My apologies. (I hope you see this.)

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Remind me not to hold a gun on you!

Solaris likes this.
  16. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

In the same episode we see the governor pretend to draw his gun to drop it when when one of the newest Woodburry inductees has him at gun point (after he murders a bunch of people). But the governor then quickly shoots the guy.

I don't think it's a coincidence that basically the same scene showed up with Carl. I think it's the writers giving the nod that Carl made the right decision.

I don't think it's their way showing him being inherently evil or cold blooded. Just that he is much more decisive than Rick.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  17. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Just got the 16th and 17th comic installment for my bday today. Just keeps getting grimmer.

18. Michael

yes, the one most grounded because he doesn't have too much of life's junk in his head...YET!
    ya know what my favorite part of this show is? NO F'N MEDIA! hopefully they all were Zombie Dinner!:laugh:

19. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

Right On!

20. Michael

Indubitably!:laugh:

21. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

I've been all over the web today. Hope I didn't pick this from earlier in this thread. :) Carl is actually smiling.

[​IMG]

nbakid2000 likes this.
  22. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Yes, that's what I thought. And Herschel's description to Rick was a spin job. I hate it when Herschel starts to sound like Dale.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Sad!

Note that Herschel has a Chromakey Green Foot!

numer9 likes this.
  24. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

I noticed that for the green screen but didn't know what to refer to it as. Is "Chromakey" related to just green or does it cover the whole blue or green screen special effect?

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I call it "Chromakey" only because I'm an old-school guy. New people would call it "a green screen composite," and in this case, it's a match-move leg replacement (with "air") and occluded surface reconstruction, meaning they have to drop in the missing background information behind Herschel's missing leg. They actually do a pretty good job with it in the show, given that they're working on a cable TV budget and schedule.

Lownote30 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.