Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: "Where Are You?" (1957 album)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jan 13, 2010.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

The other LP was an abridged version of "In the Wee Small Hours." I think it's new title was "What is This Thing Called Love."

Matt

EDIT: ....and check out how truly awful Capitol's reissue campaign was in 1973, that 2-fer album included: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ly-the-lonely-1958.208864/page-6#post-7348673

2. MLutthans

rxcory and MMM like this.
  3. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I have an N4/N5 LP, as a heads up -- I needle dropped it about a month back. For me personally I think it sounds very nice and I have no plans to buy another copy. I can throw up a sample if anyone's interested.

4. MLutthans

Sure, and there are other sample clips available via links atop the "winners page" linked above.

5. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Here's a 24/96 WAV sample of "I Cover The Waterfront" (N4) that matches up a bit with the UK sample I heard on your site:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/uh998i

SL-3200 TT / AT120e cart (used this over my AT440Mla as there was less surface noise). This sample was processed through ClickRepair so be aware of that (my copy was cleaned but still had some pops/clicks/surface noise to deal with).

6. stevelucille

stevelucille Forum Resident

Just to be clear - that comparison is to the CD layer of the hybrid correct?
    Anyone care to weigh in on the CD layer vs the SACD layer?

7. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Wonderful, Matt! Thanks as always for the hard work. I couldn't really distinguish between the new mono LP and CD (non-SA layer) myself: both sounded terrific. I'm glad to have you confirm that I'm not missing any subtle details.

I wonder if the other new MFSL releases will also be so closely related in SQ. I hope so!

MLutthans likes this.
  8. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

MLutthans likes this.
  9. DLant

The more and more that I listen to the MONO version of this album, via the MFSL SACD, I am finding that I love the mono more and more. So much more nuanced and hauntingly beautiful. While, I only knew this album via the Walsh Stereo CD, I am so glad to finally having it in mono. I am really looking forward to Come Fly With Me in mono, especially after reviewing Matt's excellent MONO vs. STEREO website.

DJ WILBUR likes this.
  10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

They really got the rhythm perfectly balanced in the mono recording, and the new disc puts that across very well. There's just enough of it's presence to move things within the arrangements, without calling too much attention to it either.

DLant and rxcory like this.
  11. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Exactly.

Such sensitive, tasteful and skilful musicianship and production at work. All without mixing separate tracks in protracted, computer-assisted mix sessions.

rxcory likes this.
  12. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

gotta get me one of these sacds now...

DLant likes this.
  13. MLutthans

Some photos that are either from WHERE ARE YOU or A JOLLY CHRISTMAS. Anybody know? Might the clock be a hint? Or the guy in the booth?
    SinatraJenkinsSHTV1a.jpg SinatraJenkins2SHTV.jpg SinatraCapitolTie2.jpg SinatraCapitolSuperGoldGatefoldSHTV$(KGrHqZ,!oQE9fp,U5l0BPggJ)ztgw~~60_57.jpg SinatraThroughTheYearsAustralia.jpg

rangerjohn likes this.
  14. MLutthans

More:
    0337_1749.jpg ~Licensed~Non~Restricted~Legends~updates_2007~February~Sinatra_Frank~0337_1745.jpg tumblr_mjtbt97RKO1qbl46ro1_500.jpg 0337_2157.jpg SinatraCapitolJenkins0337_2156.jpg

rangerjohn likes this.
  15. MLutthans

More:
    ~Licensed~Non~Restricted~Legends~Archive_S_thru_U~Frank_Sinatra~0337~1732.jpg Sinatra23764_10151292015924640_338303648_n.jpg

MAYBE this one, too:
    SinatraCapitolLaurenBacallSophiaLoren.jpg

Sophia Loren, as far as I can tell, was in the US starting in April of 1957, and was here until July 25, so she could have been at sessions for either WHERE ARE YOU or JOLLY CHRISTMAS.

rangerjohn likes this.
  16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

That's the cover photo of Chuck Granata's book, Sessions with Sinatra. According to Chuck, it's from one of the WHERE ARE YOU? sessions. See here:

17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Assuming these were taken at one of the three WHERE ARE YOU? sessions, the wall clock (9:05 in the black-and-white shot with Gordon Jenkins) pegs it as either April 29 or May 1, 1957. Those two sessions ran from 9 p.m. to midnight. (The first session, April 10, was from 4 to 7 p.m.)

So Frank was recording (or about to record) either "I Cover the Waterfront" or the title tune, "Where Are You?".

MMM likes this.
  18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I've seen it before, but it's interesting to see Lauren Bacall together with Sophia Loren in this setting. It looks like everyone might be listening to a take playback. Lauren doesn't look too impressed with it!

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  19. MLutthans

Hey, if somebody's bored sometime, any chance you could do a super-hi-rez scan of this part
    Screen shot 2013-04-29 at 8.54.34 PM.png of the "This is Sinatra, Volume Two" LP cover? I tinkered with it a bit today, but my copy is British, and likely not as sharp as a US original. It would be interesting to try to figure out what the sheet music is on the music stand.

20. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

I never really cared much for Sinatra as a casual listener of his music until I took a chance and picked up two MFSL albums "Only the Lonely" on 24KT gold and "Where Are You" on SACD. While I still dont consider myself a real Sinatra nut, the music is very relaxing and consumately professional. The embodiment of 50s "cool". Glad I picked these up. Might get one or two more of the Mofi SACDs if they're as lovely as "Where Are You".

21. MLutthans

If you purchased and enjoyed those two titles, "In the Wee Small Hours" is a must-purchase, IMO.

hodgo and MMM like this.
  22. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

One other thing about the album. I have seen more than one review that has said that the version of Autumn Leaves on here is the definitive and I must disagree. Even though its very recent, to me, Eva Cassady's version is the only one that matters. That one is a stunner.

23. DLant

This is definitive.

24. rangerjohn

Actually, there was a definitive, achingly serious, live performance of this song available on youtube until the Sinatra family had it removed.

DLant likes this.
  25. rangerjohn

Wonderful pictures, Matt. Thanks so much. It seems very likely, indeed, that they come from the WRU? sessions.

Oh, to have been there. Only FS's performances could have distracted me from the alarmingly beautiful presence of Ms. Bacall and Ms. Loren.....

DLant likes this.