The White Stripes Elephant 2013 reissue LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dconsmack, May 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member Thread Starter

Got my Record Store Day copy and it has nicer packaging and quieter vinyl than the original 2003 US pressing. It is also not pressed from the same stampers as the original release. However, my Side D is pressed off center and severely affects the pitch of the music. It's unlistenable. Especially the last song. Anyone else have this problem?

2. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

I have the record store day copy and do not have any problems with the last side. The whole record sounds awesome. Hopefully you can get yours replaced.

3. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Hmm, according to an earlier thread the RSD version IS pressed from the original stampers:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...essing-same-master.310464/page-2#post-8804922

4. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Pretty sure it is pressed from the same stampers , they just crossed out the original #'s on mine ....... I have only spun lp#1 & it sounds amazing!!

5. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member Thread Starter

From my post in that thread:
    No. I have the original US 2003 and the 2013 RSD issue. They're different. The scratched out info in the deadwax is exactly the same information as the originals on all 4 sides but the handwriting is different. It's placed in a different relation to the beginning of the locked groove. The deadwax area on Side A is about the same width. The deadwax on Side B on the 2013 is narrower. Side 3 deadwax is narrower on the 2003, Side D deadwax is narrower on the 2013. Subsequently, the grooves in the deadwax are spaced differently.
    It appears to be a new cut. At least, it's definitely not the same stampers as the 2003 issue.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  6. mistermuse

mistermuse Forum Resident

Mine is not noticably off center, but there is a lot of sibilence on the last two tracks, that does not occur on my Euro version.

7. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Mine is perfect, no issues. Sounds like you got a bum copy?

8. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

No issues with mine. Beautiful vinyl and packaging. Too bad I had to pay almost triple the actual cost of the lp to get a copy.

9. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

10. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

11. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

Has anyone compared the Record Store Day LP to the 2003 original? I've been impressed with the newer version, but I noticed that the Cheapo Uptown had a copy of the 2003 Elephant LP...for $50?! Fifty freakin' bucks?! I do like that store, but the prices sometimes just get jacked through the roof, oy.

12. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Third Man Records is re-releasing it next month. Mastered from original ANALOG tapes. It comes on black 180 gram vinyl. I have the record store day version and it sounds just as good as the original pressing does. I have no doubts the re-issue coming next month will sound just as awesome.

13. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

I have all the third man records releases of all the white stripes albums, including the RSD of Elephant. They all sound great. Jack White isn't gonna send out some crap pressing of his work. This guy is analog all the way

14. alfeizar

alfeizar Active Member

I've been wanting to get a copy of Elepahant on record for a while and always assumed TMR only shipped to the US, so I was waiting for an opportunity on a used copy. I just took some time to read on their site and they do send worldwide so I will definitely get this once its out

15. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

This is kind of a blanket statement about Jack being analog all the way...trust me, he is not always analog all the way and very few of his original releases were cut from the analog tapes. I do think all his stuff has been recorded and mixed analog though. Jack has even went on record (no pun intended) to state he couldn't hear the difference between analog mastered or cd mastered vinyl. Note, this is not verbatim but was discussed on here before. I think it happened about the time of the first Dead Weather release which to my knowledge was not cut from analog tape. This can also be said for the first Raconteurs album and most of the original pressings of his first 3 albums.

His reissues/remasters of the first 3 have been all analog, as was the UK Elephant, the RSD Elephant, the original US Elephant, IT and his solo album. Jack can put out some great analog records but he is not even the most devoted modern artist to all analog. He is one of them but for some reason he gets championed for this and it's not all based on fact.

I'm a Jack White fan as well.

ad180 likes this.
  16. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

I guess what I meant was that he is analog in his recording process but if some of his stuff is not all analog in the mastering, it wouldn't surprise me. All the TMR Stripes albums I have certainly sound analog and The Raconteurs consoler of the lonely does too. The two Dead Weather records though do sound like they could have digital mastering. Either way, it all sounds great!

mikemoon likes this.
  17. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I agree, sorry if my post came off wrong. I was just mentioning it. I'm certainly a fan as I own all his band and solo album(s) except for the two Dead Weather titles.

Budysr likes this.
  18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Mine is slightly off center on side 4, but it did not bother me too much.

19. mesaboogie

mesaboogie Forum Resident

the sun 7" of cash was a POS imo. so all analog or not, this isn't a sure thing. third man isn't one for quality IMO. they are for unique and collectable and whatever else. but audiophile isn't the word....

and yes I have the white blood cells reissue from them, a raconteurs, both dead weather LPs, a sixteen salteens 12" and the Cash 7". maybe more but off hand that for sure. IMO it all adds up to a mixed bag.

20. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

He presses at United so it's hit or miss. I have noticed that Jack's lps (not necessarily all TMR lps) seem to have better QC or maybe it's the 180 gram lps from United which account for WS remasters. Icky and Consolers were pressed at RTI as they are on Warner Bros. IIRC.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  21. nian82

nian82 Forum Resident

I got my new 2013 reissue some days ago and have been comparing it to the old UK pressing. On the last song on side C I hear a lot of distortion on the new reissue. Especially the last loud guitar in the end. Anybody else noticed this?
    Also I noticed that side D is pressed off center and it affects the pitch of the music.

22. alfeizar

alfeizar Active Member

Sad to hear you had problems. I ordered my copy last week, its certainly not fun to receive a faulty copy that travelled half the world to get to your turntable. Hope you can get a replacement or some solution

23. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Did the vinyl release fix Meg White's drumming? :shh:

Aftermath likes this.
  24. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

What's wrong with Megs drumming? :realmad:

SoundDoctor and goldwax like this.
  25. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Actually I think Jack White's singing voice grates me more than her drumming, but they're both pretty awful and amateurish. But I guess that's the point? I never got it, and I grew up in Detroit in the late 90's when all that stuff was happening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.