SH Spotlight RAY CHARLES DCC Gold CD's, questions answered about different mixes used on different Gold disks....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Steve,

I've sent you a PM

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Well, I worked long and hard to make it sound that good. It's not a remix. Well, it sort of is, actually. A 1964 mix in stereo by Tom Dowd. There is a thread here about it..

3. Steve Hoffman

Thanks for that. Been a long time since I've heard that. Ray goofed on that transfer, that's for sure. Pretty rare.

Kkfan likes this.
  4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

You can hear it in the gentle taps of the drum at the very beginning of the record.

5. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Steve, please can you explain how the situation of there being Silver & Gold CD's came about, why 2 sets of CD's? I've heard the gold are tube mastered whilst the silver are solid state but surely this would have been twice as expensive to master them twice so how did this come about. I have some of these in Silver and some in gold, my favourite and possibly my all time top Ray Charles album being "Ray Charles & Betty Carter", I only have as a silver disc, am I missing out by not owning the gold version?

Sorry for so many questions but this whole situation has always had me confused.

Kkfan likes this.
  6. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

^^^
    Was wondering the same thing!

7. Steve Hoffman

Well, it's simple really. Dunhill hired me in 1987 and at the same time got in contact with Ray Charles to license some of his stuff. We did the "silver" greatest hits volumes and had them out by Xmas, 1987 (where I saw two people fighting over the last copies at a record store on Wilshire). In 1988 we did the Betty & Ray album, Genius + Soul with the Basie Band and a Country compilation.

The DCC 24 karat Gold series began in 1992. At that time we changed our mastering studios and started using more valves in mastering. We licensed more Ray Charles and did the Betty & Ray, Ingredients In A Recipe For Soul and the Country & Western album for Gold. Then, we did a new two disk greatest hits album on our Sandstone label, also mastered in the style of the Gold CD's, using tubes.

That explain it for you?

8. hodgo

Yeah that's great Steve it's always intrigued me so its good to know the whole story.

Can I say a big Thank You for the Ray & Betty CD, this album for me is pure perfection from start to finish and is one of my favourite late night relaxing chill out CD's

When I see the Gold CD of Ray & Betty at a price I can afford I'll think I'll invest in it to alongside the silver CD.

9. Steve Hoffman

I think there is a new version of RAY CHARLES AND BETTY CARTER out right now, isn't there? Is it on SACD? Anyone hear it? Good?

When I was working on the RAY & BETTY at Ray's studio with Terry Howard, Ray was there and this old dude walked in. Since he was white I asked who it was. Ray heard me and said "That's Sid!"

Sid? Sid Feller, Ray's long time producer. Holy crap, I couldn't believe that in 1993 Sid Feller and Ray Charles were still hanging out together! They did GEORGIA ON MY MIND, HIT THE ROAD, JACK, etc. and now they were both sitting in front of me. That was so cool. Then Ray said "Let's get Betty on the phone and tell her what we are listening to".

So, we called Betty Carter in NYC and put her on speaker. Sid, Betty and Ray had a great conversation and I was in heaven. So cool.

10. hodgo

Wow!! Thanks for sharing that experience Steve that's so cool you must have thought you were dreaming.

11. Steve Hoffman

Yup, dreaming a great dream. Now all three are in Music Heaven making a follow-up album.

action pact and Kkfan like this.
  12. hodgo

It sure beats being a cable jointer which was my old profession that's for sure :laugh:

13. Steve Hoffman

Well, my line of work does have good moments, that's for sure. And of course great music.

CaptainOzone, hodgo and Kkfan like this.
  14. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

I honestly cannot imagine your line of work having anything BUT good moments. :)

15. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

uh huh.............:):thumbsup:
    Thx. Steve.

16. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I have searched this forum, and cannot find the answer although I am sure I overlooked it somewhere: What is the difference between the DCC Ingredients in Recipe....
    #DZS-047 and GZS 1027? Same tracks, different order, and substantially different cost on the market.

17. Steve Hoffman

Very much difference.

The silver version is solid state and came from different mixes than the gold version which was vacuum tube mastered.

Different original mixes for each. The Gold version uses all unissued Capitol Studio and United Recording 1963 mixes. The Silver version uses all Bell Sound 1963 "get more billing, how dare they record this somewhere else" useless remixes.

This is detailed in post #1 where I talk about the song "BUSTED"..

That help?

18. Steve Hoffman

BTW, I had totally forgotten there even was a DZS-047 version. I had to look it up to make sure. Yikes. The song order was changed because that's what Ray wanted at the time.... Sorry 'bout that.

19. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Very much. Thank you.

20. Guess what I came across a couple of weeks ago. A factory-sealed copy of the 1992 Uh Huh - His Greatest Hits. There can't be too many of those left out there.

21. Steve Hoffman

Glad to help. "Ingredients In A Recipe For Soul" is a very fine album.

22. Steve Hoffman

Lucky, enjoy.

23. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Now to find one at an affordable price.

24. Steve Hoffman

Try and find an old ABC-Paramount LP. Pretty good.

25. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I am a cd person. No vinyl. so it will be the DCC gold.