Zappa reissues coming on vinyl.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chumlie, May 7, 2013.

1. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just seen this at www.analogplanet.com. Looking forward to more. Freak out & Over-Nite Sensation coming.

2. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Red vinyl "Help I'm A Rock" b/w "It Can't Happen Here" & "Who Are The Brain Police" 12" single just announced by ZFT.

http://www.zappa.com/whatsnew/

3. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

My question is what are the sources going to be?
    I know Over-Nite Sensation was remastered from the original analog tapes, so an analog source, or even hi-rez source would be possible & excellent. The recent remaster of Freak Out is from the '87 1630 digital master, which is 16/44.1 (I believe). That would be not so cool on vinyl.

4. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

'It Can't Happen Here' is just the last half of 'Help, I'm A Rock' (it was one eight-minute song on the original LP) - splitting it over two sides of a 12" slab is adding another layer of pointlessness over issuing this thing in the first place. The ZFT's release priorities are/now/forever will be strange and alienating to us mere mortals.

This might well be the original vinyl mix (as found on disc one of 'The MOFO Project/Object'), which would address the concerns of those annoyed that the current CD was, for the third time, the digital remix.

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

A bit more detail about the single from the announcement:

6. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Finer Moments has already been released, how does it sound? I own no Zappa on vinyl except for the RSD "I'm The Slime" single. All my Zappa listening has been on various Ryko CD's and the new ones with a few ZFT's.

7. E()

E() Cat Herder

I am cautiously optimistic about these but it will depend on the source. I hope they are not the versions that FZ modified by adding modern drums and bass, etc.

I listened to Finer Moments earlier today. The pressings are flat and clean with no surface noise. SQ is really good considering the various sources used. I have not compared it with other versions but FM is a nice set. Very pleased.

8. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

The "Finer Moments" vinyl is great. Sides 2 & 4 have been getting mucho play here recently. I would like the ZFT to rerelease the "Hot Rats" vinyl. Since it was already done for the Classic release a few years ago it should be fairly easy to get more in stores. I assume they can do so as last year's CD used the same sources (according to the Trust's typically cryptic liner notes). I think "Hot Rats" would sell pretty well. I've already preordered the titles coming in June. Despite the odd choice of songs, I will probably get the forthcoming 12" single as well (why "Help I'm a Rock"? Why not the disco mix of "Dancin' Fool" or "I Don't Want To get Drafted"? Something that was a 12" single).

Steel Horse likes this.
  9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

FZ never added modern drums and bass to Freak Out or Overnite Sensation.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  10. E()

E() Cat Herder

Good. I know he tweaked some of the early stuff (eg, Cruisin' and We're Only In It For The Money) but wasn't sure if these two had also been "updated."

11. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Thanks

12. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

This info on Elusivedisc.com:
    Freak Out: http://www.elusivedisc.com/FRANK-ZA...VENTION-FREAK-OUT-2LP/productinfo/UNILP23834/
    Features:• 180g Vinyl
    • Re-mastered From Digital Transfer by FZ/Bob Stone of the Original 1966 1/4" Analog Stereo Tape Master
    • Re-mastered by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering
    • Pressed at Furnace

Over-nite Sensation: http://www.elusivedisc.com/FRANK-ZAPPA-OVER-NITE-SENSATION-180g-LP/productinfo/UNILP23850/
    Features:• 180g Vinyl
    • Re-Mastered From Original 1973 1/4" Stereo Analog Tape Master
    • Re-Mastered By Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering
    • Pressed at Furnace

So what does it tell us that Freak Out was "Re-mastered From Digital Transfer by FZ/Bob Stone of the Original 1966 1/4" Analog Stereo Tape Master"?

Is this the same source as what came out on MOFO?
    If this is from Digital Transfer by Frank and Bob Stone, is this 16-bit sourced and does it have the potential to sound great?
    How is the quality of Furnace pressings?

13. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Pretty Please I want Uncle Meat done right.
    I will buy FO if it gets good reviews.

rstamberg likes this.
  14. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I'll probably pick up "Over Nite Sensation" since it appears to be sourced from the analog master. I already own very clean original mono and stereo pressings on Verve of "Freak Out!". So unless this reissue gets glowing reviews I'll pass. Sounds like it could be from the same source as the MOFO project.

Digitally transfered doesn't sound too promising. But I guess if you don't already own FO on vinyl, it's an affordable option to get a clean playing copy.

15. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

The only ones that actually had new 80s vintage recordings added were Money, Lumpy Gravy, Ruben & Sleep Dirt. (and LG wasn't issued (apart from a short excerpt on a promotional sampler) until the Project/Object set.

16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Thing-Fish also has some previously released songs from Zoot Allures, Tinseltown Rebellion and You Are What You Is with new drum tracks. A few others have also surfaced on the Have I Offended Someone? compilation and the birthday bundles.

But yes, those are the only albums that were rereleased with new rhythm tracks.

17. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

So is Freak Out the original mix?

18. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

MOFO has the following information:

• "Original 1966 Stereo Mix Of Freak Out!"
    • "REMASTERED 2006 BY DOUG SAX WITH SANGWOOK "SUNNY" NAM IN OJAI, CALIFORNIA."
    • "Thanks & Hot Damn!/Design FX for the archive assist with the tranference of FZ's 1987 digital transfer of the original stereo mix of Freak Out! into a format we could work with."

He was working with Bob Stone in 1987.

So, while there is nothing definitive here, deductive reasoning would suggest that the same source is being used, but it is being remastered yet again.

19. Martin M

Martin M Forum Resident

" • Re-mastered From Digital Transfer by FZ/Bob Stone of the Original 1966 1/4" Analog Stereo Tape Master"

Bob Stone left UMRK around 1991, so this a pretty old transfer! I suspect that we are effectively getting a reissue of the Old Masters Volume 1 Freak Out albeit cut by Chris Bellman rather than Stephen Marcussen.

kwadguy and dlokazip like this.
  20. aoxomoxoa

I will wait on reviews before plunking down $30

21. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Agreed, and a hugely wasted opportunity.

22. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I own the original Verve mono and two stereo(with and without map blurb covers) pressings of FO in excellent shape. I'm good to go and will pass on a new digital transfer of an old digital transfer!

23. aoxomoxoa

Guess I will just keep looking for a mono original.

ReadySteady and LePompDior like this.
  24. E()

E() Cat Herder

That is unfortunate. Guess I also need to look for an original version.

I wonder if the old digital to new digital is due to the condition of the original master tape.

25. moody grooves

moody grooves Member