Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #46)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

I think the last movement is underrated too, as the deceptively cheerful main theme masks a dark menace and despair that prevalent throughout the whole work - that frenetic coda that ends with an empathic D flat stroke followed by a long bare C is one of the most startling endings to a classical piece ever. If you can read music, here's the score, the last two pages in particular:

http://petrucci.mus.auth.gr/imglnks/usimg/5/5e/IMSLP35019-PMLP06343-Schubert_String_Quintet.pdf

2. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Igor Stravinsky - Le Sacre du printemps - The Right of Spring: Songs of Pagan Russia in two Parts (1913 Version)
    -- Leonard Bernstein - New York Philharmonic, 1958 (Columbia Masterworks / Sony Classical 2013)

[​IMG]

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD1 from the following twofer, a recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

4. heman__

heman__ Forum Resident

What fantastic cover art! I might have to check this out just because of that

5. heman__

heman__ Forum Resident

Can anybody make me some Pettersson recommendations?

I've got no idea to start with this composer

6. coopmv

I have seen this recording being discussed at the classical music (only) forum but have really never paid attention to his works, which are all pretty modern since I have no interest in 'modern' classical music ...

[​IMG]

7. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

Just out of curiosity, what classical-only forum do you recommend? Last summer I looked into the Amazon one for a while, but was turned off by the endless belligerence and flame wars (mainly between those who did or did not like modernism). I'd be interested in reading more polite discussions of classical music if such a forum exists.

8. coopmv

If you want polite discussions, I think the CMC may be it. While it is pretty small but it is steadily attracting new members. I personally am not into 'modern' classical music and am not sure if any of our regular members are.

9. coopmv

Now playing CD4 - Mozart Requiem from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

10. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

Do you mean the Classical Music Corner, right here? OK, great. I've been following discussions here for at least the past year and a half, and it is indeed polite--just rather small, as you say. I actually really enjoy modernist classical and have noticed a few other posters who seem to as well; however, I enjoy a fairly broad range of music and enjoy discussion about any and all classical artists and recordings. So you're suggesting that all the larger classical fora are full of flame wars? That's disappointing.

11. coopmv

Yes, I do mean CMC, which is right here. One much larger classical music forum that I am familiar with has members who think they have the last words on most recordings and words like 'open-mindedness' and 'humility' do not exist in their dictionary.

12. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from the following set, which probably arrived over a year ago for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

13. coopmv

RRB, I have M4 and M5 by Zander. What is your opinion of those 2 recordings?

14. coopmv

Now playing CD2 from the following twofer, a recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

15. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I think you may just not remember posts on modern classical because your not interested. There aren't as many posts as there are for other periods, but there is plenty of interest. Except for boxed sets, most of what I've bought over the last year or so has been 20th century. Even a number of the boxed sets I've bought such as the EMI 20th century box, Messiaen's complete organ works, Britten chamber works, etc, are 20th century.

16. John S

John S Forum Resident

Stuart, if you don't mind my horning in -- I do not have Zander's M5, but I think his M4 is handcapped by a sub-par vocalist. I haven't heard it in a while, but I remember the rest of the performance as being serviceable. I think the Philharmonia not the ideal Mahlerian orchestra. The trombones and tuba are...ahem...too polite, and the percussion on the weak side. But since Mahler decided not to invite the low brass to the M4 party, that is to the good.

17. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

That's a Steve Hoffman approved CD. There's a thread just on it. Ever since seeing that thread, I've wanted to buy it but it was very expensive since it was OOP. I'm very happy they've reissued it.

18. coopmv

Then Progfan should not be disappointed by checking in often, as there may be a few other members that are into 'modern' classical music. I tend to go the other extreme, my more recent favorite is early music, i.e. pre-baroque, Renaissance and Middle Age.

19. coopmv

No problems. I must have the M4 and M5 by Zander for close to 10 years and really have not played them much after the first listen, which tends to be the usual practice for me. When one has to deal with 14 hour workday, there is really not much time for anything else ... LOL.

BTW, I have quite a few other M4 & M5, mainly in the box sets by Tennstedt, Sinopoli (have not yet opened the shrinkwrap after almost 2 years), Haitink and Bernstein. I also have M5 by Karajan and the BPO. I supposed most of them should be better than Zander's version ...

20. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

The benchmark by which all else is judged IMO.

George P likes this.
  21. Rose River Bear

I have that disc from the Original Jacket Collection Box Set. I have around ten Rites and believe it or not my favorite is the Salonen. Then Karajan then Bernstein.

22. Rose River Bear

I do not have the Zander M4 and M5. I think M6 is the only one I have under Zander. Do you hold them high?

23. Rose River Bear

Do you have a link for the thread. I would like to read the posts. Thanks.

24. coopmv

You are probably correct. So far I have listened to only CD1 - S1 and S2 and they sound great with just the proper tempos, great dynamics and virtuosic performance by the LSO. The only comparison I can draw is my other set by Vaclav Neumann, which I bought and last listened to some 10 years ago ...

25. coopmv

I consider them middle of the road performance compared to the same recordings in the box sets I have ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.