Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #46)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I have favorites in the last three of the symphonies and they are not in that set.

2. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Just been having a very enjoyable return to part of this mammoth set for the first time in several months (CD9 out of 21):

[​IMG]

This disc is the first three quartets of Haydn's Op.33 ("Russian"), which I picked as a random selection. While Op. 20 is usually and justifiably regarded as the point where Haydn achieved true mastery in the quartet medium, in terms of depth of emotion married to innovative techniques in form and quartet writing, this in its own very different way is what I consider to be the second great set. Written almost a decade later than the Sturm and Drang styled "Sun" quartets, they're in stark contrast to the more turbulent and quasi-orchestral sounding world of their predecessors, favouring a lighter, more optimistic and good-humoured mood with more succinct and shorter movements. However, don't confuse "light" with "lightweight" or lack of depth; the lightness only refers to their simpler and more transparent textures, their directness of emotion which belies a wealth of feeling, subtlety, intellectual wit and ingenious craftmanship underneath their immediately appealing surface. The first movement of Op.33 No. 1 for instance like so much of the rest of these quartets, through its cunning tonal ambiguity achieves the rare feat of being poignant, playful, uplifting and sad at the same time. And even amid the most deceptively humorous works like the "Joke" and "Bird", there are some sublime moments, notably the wonderfully contemplative main themes of the slow movement of the former and the minuet of the latter, rising from the depths of the ensemble, that provide a real warmth and nobility. Really, this is the kind of music that makes one happy to be alive.

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have Symphonies 7-9 by Kubelik and 9 by Colin Davis, HvK, Solti and Reiner (SACD on RCA Living Stereo). Do we share any common recordings? :D

4. Rose River Bear

Yes. The 9th by Reiner is my #1.
    The 7th would be Davis hands down with the Royal Concertubouw (sic) nothing comes close IMO.
    The 8th is Szell Cleveland.
    I have the Reiner, Davis and Kubelik.

5. coopmv

Agree. The late Sir Colin made a number of very memorable recordings on Philips with the RCO back in the late 60's through the mid 70's - very energetic with precise tempos when compared with many of the recordings he made in his later years, especially those on the LSO Live label ...

Rose River Bear likes this.
  6. Rose River Bear

Yes. That 7th by Davis is one of my favorite classical recordings. Definitely top 25.

7. coopmv

Now playing CD2 - works of Bach from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

It is the same recording as the one shown below.

[​IMG]

8. Rose River Bear

I'll bet that is good. I like his style.

9. coopmv

Yes, it is quite good compared with the Bach recording made by fellow French pianist - Helene Grimaud on DG ...

10. Rose River Bear

I don't know....for some reason I can take her or leave her recordings. I stopped buying them.

11. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

i have a friend who is only into Early Music & the most "difficult" modernism,nothing in between.

12. heman__

heman__ Forum Resident

seems to be reissued on vinyl according to Amazon....delicious!

13. coopmv

Helene Grimaud made some excellent recordings of Brahms piano works ...

14. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Indeed.

15. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Earlier today I listened to a 1950's LP of Vaughan Williams "Job - A Masque for Dancing". It is on London records. The inner sleeve and label both indicated that it was manufactured in England. The record is visually VG+ however it played wonderfully quiet throughout. On every level it was one of my best vinyl listening experiences recently.

16. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

I'm not sure it's entirely fair or accurate to dismiss Pettersson on the basis of modernism. His music is tonal, if somewhat thorny at times and he can go on. He was quite influenced by Mahler and Shostakovich. If you don't find them too modern, then you won't find Petterson too modern. Doesn't mean you'll like him. But we're not talking Stockhausen or Ferneyhough here. .

He's not number one on my hit parade. But I like this http://www.amazon.com/Allan-Petters...F8&qid=1368927415&sr=1-17&keywords=Pettersson

17. coopmv

That preference is a bit difficult to fathom as there is no continuity from one style to the next ... :confused:

18. coopmv

I heard of some Stockhausen music a while back and was not too fond of it. I can handle Mahler and Shosty but Pettersson is entirely foreign to me ...

19. coopmv

Tharaud's performance of JS Bach Italian Concertos is top-notched. One of the best I have ever heard ... :righton:

20. heman__

heman__ Forum Resident

Listening to this fantastic early Argerich recording:

[​IMG]

21. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

Rhapsody is my only streaming service. But they have a few Pettersson recordings, including Segerstram's recording of his 8th and 10th symphonies. Don't know about Spotify or any of the other streaming services. But worth a shot for those of you who have that option.

22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I gave the LP cover of my used copy of Lenny's Rite to Blake Jones as a prop for his performances of Ross Used To Play Us His Frank Zappa Records during the "Danse Infernal" section of that opus.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  23. coopmv

Unfortunately, the 2 minute audio clip I get from Amazon does not tell me much and I do not want to subscribe to any streaming service ...

24. coopmv

Now playing the following CD for a second listen - this is insanity, the OOP CD has an asking price of $75 - $90 ...

[​IMG]

25. coopmv

It is wonderful to see some members of CMC that play LP's on a regular basis. I have some 4000 LP's in my classical music collection which I rarely ever play because CD is so much more convenient ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.