Sexual innuendoes on 1960s TV shows

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Joel1963, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I wish there was more, instead of out and out saying stuff.

Quiet Earth likes this.
  2. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

Season 2, Episode 7, "Beaver's Ring". I don't have the clip ... but you can watch the episode yourself if you doubt me:

http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Leave_It_to_Beaver_Season_2_Beaver_s_Ring/70087820

Beaver is given a ring by Aunt Martha. June warns Beaver not to take it to school. Beaver gets in trouble for taking Aunt Martha's ring to school... where it gets stuck on his finger. The exact quote is "Don't you think you're being a bit hard on the Beaver?" but it is often misquoted to make it sound more risqué (by changing it to the past tense and adding "last night"). When your show's main character is called "Beaver" it's amazing it didn't occur more often.

3. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Thank you!

To be honest, this was one of these "So good it should be true, even if it isn't" bits.

I do specifically remember June saying "Ward, don't you think you're being a little hard on the boys?" (referring to both Wally and Beaver). So I extrapolated from there for the sake of a good joke. I'm glad to know it's not just a fantasy on my part!

His Masters Vice likes this.
  4. His Masters Vice

You're welcome MikeM! Would you believe, I've already found a second example, from Season 6, Episode 18, "More Blessed to Give?". In this one June says to Ward, "I hope you weren't too hard on the Beaver?" to which he replies he replies "No, not at all".

I'll see if I can just grab the relevant parts of each episode - it would only be a few seconds from each, so I'm sure that should be ok.

5. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Have you been going through every episode looking for that one line?!

musicalbeds likes this.
  6. houston

houston Forum Resident

best line was in the Batman series....one show had Catwoman (Julie Newmar) attempting to seduce Batman, she kisses him, and purrs...he blushes, stammers, and with a straight face says, "Catwoman, I'm getting a curious stirring in my utility belt" :D

7. His Masters Vice

That would be too hard - there's a lot of episodes! 234, I think. I'm just trying to home in on the likely ones. There may be other episodes with similar lines...

8. His Masters Vice

This occurs about 21 minutes, 20 seconds into the episode - on the copy I have - at the beginning of the last scene.

9. FredC

FredC Forum Resident

Thanks.

I was afraid it was going to turn out to be something like what many Impressionists did of Jimmy Cagney, using standard lines that he never actually said, like "You dirty Rat!", and "You're the dirty Rat that killed my brother!" They sound like something he could likely have said, but didn't.

Fred

10. FredC

FredC Forum Resident

Just found this clip on Youtube after typing in a search for "hard on the beaver". Actually this is one of at least two separate examples:

Fred

11. His Masters Vice

That's from the second episode I mentioned - Season 6, Episode 18, "More Blessed to Give?"

12. His Masters Vice

Also at 21 minutes, 50 seconds in Season 2, Episode 7, "Beaver's Ring" - just after Ward tells Beaver to write a long letter of apology.

June: "Ward..." (pause) "Don't you think you're being a bit hard on the Beaver? He's been through a great deal today.'"

Ward: "What's the sense of going through a great deal dear, if you don't learn something from it?"

13. JohnB

JohnB Senior Member

This scene from Gilligan's Island comes to mind:

Joel1963, musicalbeds and nbakid2000 like this.
  14. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

^---that was awesome.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  15. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

It kind of didn't. She said "in the ass" and ass was bleeped.

16. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

And for years the host - Bob Eubanks - swore it never happened. However, someone finally came up with a copy of the tape and sure enough.....it was there.

17. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, It's Brian and myself in 2005 backstage at his Montreal Smile tour concert. My most cherished picture, of course...

18. Joel1963

Saw another slightly risque Bewitched sequence. Darrin and Samantha are on a tour of an old house in Salem, Massachussetts, and an amorous centuries-old bed warmer keeps flinging itself into Elizabeth Montgomery's behind.

19. Joel1963

In another Bewitched episode, an amorous under-a-spell Charles Lane (playing a client of McMann and Tate) is accused by his wife of being a "sex maniac."

20. OldSoul

It's from the 70s, but it's too funny.
    I just saw an episode of Maude where Victoria's (the maid's) father comes by while Victoria's off camping with her boyfriend. He doesn't approve of this and wants to take her back home when she returns on Sunday. Maude finds him cheating at a hotel, and confronts him about it. So here's part of their exchange (to paraphrase):
    V's dad: "Occasionly my back gets itchy and I need someone to scratch it."
    Maude: "Arthur just rubs his back against the doorknob."

21. OldSoul

Whoa! What season was that?

22. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I think a lot of the references may have been unintentional but when Rowan & Martins Laugh-In hit tv in January 1968 everything changed.

Mister Charlie and JimC like this.
  23. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Y'know, I think this might be one of those misremembered quotes that never actually occurred.

Adam West uses the line in interviews all the time, but I don't think it was uttered in the series. (Just like Kirk never really said "beam me up, Scotty'.)

Do you know which episode it's supposed to be from?

24. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

I can't think of any specific line or anything that was nearly as overt as, say, those Bewitched examples, but I've been surprised on recent rewatches of the fairly plentiful, very subtle hints at Barney's sex life on The Andy Griffith Show (and sometimes Andy too, particularly in the pre-Helen Crump years). Nothing anyone would ever bat an eye at, but sort of surprising given the show's squeaky-clean reputation and all.

25. houston

houston Forum Resident

I don't know, exactly... but I definitely saw it with my own eyes... Batman and Catwoman are on the ledge of a building in New York, IIRC, Catwoman's gang had tried to push Batman off the ledge, and Catwoman had a last-second change of heart, and saved him herself. that led to a episode-ending discussion between the two, that got sentimental, they seemed to re-evaluate what they thought of each other, Catwoman became sensual, Batman blushed, before stammering that line

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.