Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2012-2013 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I didn't know they had done those characters before. Yes, if the script were right this could be a movie as someone suggested. I agree about Vanessa's eyes.... what a talent. That is what I call taking it up a notch.

2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Also, how Cecily and Vanessa kept it together is beyond me....Vanessa almost lost it once but held it together. I guess a lot of the humor was more their body language.

3. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

4. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Carrie Brownstein, Steve Jones, J Mascis, Kim Gordon, Aimee Mann, and Michael Penn.

The best Ian Rubbish site on the net: http://www.ianrubbish.co.uk/

stereoptic likes this.
  5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

They've all been great. Diminishing returns set in a bit with the one last night, imo, but that's inevitable. You can probably find the first two online if you look. The first one was the final sketch of the Jamie Foxx hosted episode this season and the second one was in the most recent Justin Timberlake hosted episode. If you liked last night's sketch, you should definitely search the first two out.

6. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Penn's wife Aimee Mann was there, too, wearing glasses. Who's the visiting musician from that skit who was harvesting both nostrils during the show closing credits? Guess he didnt notice the audience and cameras, beaming his disappearing fingers to a national audience. Greatly enhanced my enjoyment of my lunch as I watched the DVRed show.

stereoptic likes this.
  7. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

That was Steve Jones. Known primarily back in the day for wearing a handkerchief on his head.

[​IMG]

8. agentalbert

9. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

10. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Thanks for the photo. Apparently a life-long hobby!

11. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I thought it would be difficult to top Jagger's goodbye serenade to Kristen in last year's finale, but Ian Rubbish managed to do it. What's cooler than singing your own farewell song, with the Steve Jones on stage, Kim Gordon playing tambourine, and a patented J.Mascis guitar solo? Nice way for a couple of consummate sketch comedy guys to go out...

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/...un-with-help-from-indie-rock-royalty-20130519

12. agentalbert

I don't know that it topped it, but it was pretty cool. The one thing I was hoping for was for David Patterson to join him on stage. Armisen's Jersey hating blind mayor was probably the funniest recurring character he ever did, imo.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  13. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Did you miss the David Paterson cameo on Update?

[​IMG]

14. agentalbert

Yeah, I guess I did. I saw all the other characters, but the Patterson one didn't register with me. Thanks.

15. MekkaGodzilla

Who's the blonde directly behind Stefon? Kate McKinnon? I don't recall her having a recurring Weekend Update character?

16. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

McKinnon had a semi-recurring Update bit as Ann Romney.
    [​IMG]

17. MekkaGodzilla

Wow! Did she even do that more than once? Jay Pharoah's Denzel Washington and/or Jay-Z likely had more appearances on WU that McKinnon's Ann Romney.

18. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I personally only remember her doing Ann Romney once on Update, and it was the first time I had seen McKinnon on any Weekend Update. I think she also played her in a sketch on one of those Weekend Update Thursday specials, but that's barely even a grey area. :laugh:

19. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

That Ann Romney skit was funny, so was the Stephen Smith skit. I needed to see more of that kind of humor instead of game show skits and sketches about "olden days."

20. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

great interview with Bill Hader on Stern the other day

21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I didn't catch Governor Patterson there! My attention went straight to my beloved "Drunk Uncle". He should have his own sit-com. Unsurprising that Amy Poehler had to get in there to steal some spotlight.

22. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

Is it me or do those frequent appearances by long-departed cast members often seem like the Homecoming Queen or Star Quarterback hanging around their high school 3 years after graduation? I really don't need to see Maya Rudolph/Poehler/etc that much...it must really annoy the regular players still trying to make a mark on the show...

23. Dang, I forgot how sexy the ladies of En Vogue were.

noname74 likes this.
  24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Makes me wonder how they stopped Pohler from grabbing some of Kristen Wiig's limelight the previous week.

Now playing on http://www.arielstream.com]Ariel Stream[/URL]:Carrie Newcomer - The Moon Over Tuscon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.