Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #47)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Continued from here

Welcome! :wave:

This thread (and the 46 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. Feel free to post what you're listening to, recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, discuss classical works, classical composers, classical performers, etc.

Beginners are especially welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc. We have lots of friendly, respectful and knowledgeable members who will be glad to help you out.

And as always, I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to all of the regulars (you know who you are) that continue to make this thread an enjoyable, civilized and informative experience! You guys are still the best!

:wave:

2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Currently spinning..................... 41HK4ATZ3GL.jpg

3. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

The joy that I got from that London LL series ffrr mentioned in the previous thread has got me thinking about a flea market find from many years ago. I once bought a whole crate of these London monos because they were all in immaculate condition. I played a few on my crappy TT at the time but ultimately they went with me to the next record show. I wish I had that crate of Classical records now to enjoy on a better TT with the proper 1mil stylus.

4. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

I don't think that the link to here from the previous thread works. Perhaps it could be fixed?

5. heman__

heman__ Forum Resident

error in the code on the old thread...

Currently listening to this, original Mono pressing. Quite a nice little performance
    [​IMG]

6. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

Whether in the mono or the stereo version, this recording has always had "classic status" since its first release.

7. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

The name Paul Kletzki...on that Pollini recording.: another highly under-rated and somewhat now forgotten conductor today. His EMI Mahler 4th Symphony with the soprano Emmy Loose ( in stereo and done with minimal microphoning ) is still one of the best.

PH416156 and John S like this.
  8. drh

drh Talking Machine

I've been sampling some of the Ivory Classics discs that I bought from Berkshire recently. While I've hardly been systematic about it, I can offer three pertinent observations:

1) Earl Wild had remarkably fleet fingers.

2) He covered quite a wide range of repertory.

3) His label overfiltered transfers of 78 RPM recordings. :sigh:

9. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

In the previous thread there was a little discussion of Dvorak's Piano Concerto. In addition to the others already mentioned, I have two recordings that I are my current favorites. I know that Dvorak Piano Concerto is not considered his best concerto, but I think these two recordings are worth hearing.

Rustem Hayroudinoff, piano
    BBC Philharmonic
    Gianandrea Noseda, conductor
    Chandos 10309, 2005

HayroudinoffDvorakPianoConcerto.jpeg

Hayroudinoff - Dvorak Piano Concerto 3rd Movement
    (on YouTube)

10. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

The other version of the Dvorak is

Jeno Jando, piano
    Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra
    Antoni Wit, Conductor
    Naxos 8.550896, 1994

[​IMG]

I really like this version. Jando and Wit are very much together in their interpretation. Antoni Wit is a bit underrated, I think. This is very melodic and has great timing.

From YouTube the Second and Third Movements:
    Antonín Dvořák - Piano Concerto in G minor, Op. 33 - II. Andante sostenuto

Antonín Dvořák - Piano Concerto in G minor, Op. 33 - III. Allegro con fuoco

11. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

John, regarding the increased shipping rates on Amazon.COM Marketplace: $3.99 is virtually nothing compared to the newly "revised" price to Europe/me, which increased from $6.89 to $14.29 per item, rendering any further purchases completely unjustified. And this moronic move happened exactly after custom policies in my country loosened a bit, allowing tax-free purchases from outside the EU of a total value of 22 euros (approx. $29, incl. shipping) instead of the weak 10 euros. :hurl: Now I order occasionally only directly from the US Amazon shop (say, if the prices on Audio Fidelity, MFSL or some Deluxe discs drop below $20, which leaves me with the good ol' $6.49 shipping rate).

12. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I'm a bit of a Holmboe nut, and I just wanted to share with you my new purchase:

[​IMG]

This is a Hybrid SACD with multichannel on the SACD layer: the sound quality sounds to me very good.

Regarding the works, all three are accessible to anyone who likes, say, the concertos of Shostakovich or Prokofiev. The Concerto for Orchestra (a minor work of 1929 which is incidentally supposed to be only the second designated "Concerto for Orchestra" ever written) is pleasant but unremarkable. The second Violin Concerto (1979) is characterised by Holmboe's typically high quality string writing. The Viola Concerto (1992), right from the end of his career, is a surprisingly heavyweight piece given the generally transparent textures of his later writing, and even features a quotation of the ubiquitous plainchant "Dies Irae" theme.

As often with Holmboe, it's difficult to see where his influences end and he begins in his larger-scale works, but the soloist roles are so well written here that this is definitely a disc to get hold of, and it won't be hard going for anyone.

dale 88 likes this.
  13. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Currently spinning;

[​IMG]

14. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

15. drh

drh Talking Machine

Truly there is nothing new under the sun. For some years in the acoustic era, Pathe records all played that way. Those were the ones with the etched labels. Later, Pathe went to paper labels; those played from the outside in as we are accustomed to see today.

[Shameless self-promotion] If you want to see a photo of a center-start etched-label Pathe disc, have a look at the second photo here http://www.tnt-audio.com/vintage/vintage_e.html in my debut article as a columnist for the TNT-Audio Web magazine. [/Shameless self-promotion]

dale 88 likes this.
  16. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart -- Piano Concertos No.20 K466 & No.24 K491 -- John Eliot Gardiner -- The English Baroque Soloists -- Malcom Bilson, Fortepiano (Deutsche Grammophon / Archiv Produktion)

[​IMG]

John S likes this.
  17. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Ludwig van Beethoven -- Six String Quartets, Op.18 - disc 1 - No.3 & No.6 -- The Smithson String Quartet (Deutsche Harmonia Mundi / Sony Classics)

[​IMG]

18. Rose River Bear

I like that disc. I think that is the only version of the Dvorak PC I own. Great sonics.

19. Rose River Bear

I like that disc a lot. His string quartets are a must have IMO.

20. john greenwood

I have the box set, but try as I might I cannot adjust to the sound of the fortepiano in the concertos.

21. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

I haven't heard much fortepiano, but I like the strength the orchestra has in relation to the fortepiano in this recording.

22. john greenwood

I really enjoy that set;, the sound is gorgeous.

23. George P

I would pass if I were you. Do you have the Zimerman/Polish Orch recording?

24. George P

Sorry, can't see it.

25. Rose River Bear

Yes. I got ya. Thanks.
    Sorry did not mean to post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.