MAD MEN -- Season SIX Official Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMike

JMike Forum Resident

Thank you.

ad180, boyjohn and Dudley Morris like this.
  2. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I thought this instant Betty weight loss was kind of weird. They should have transitioned her over a couple of episodes.

3. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

She's been losing weight ever since the beginning of the season, and its been over 6 months in their timeline...

4. noladaoh

noladaoh Retired

Is Abe going to write an expose on advertising? After telling Peggy "your activities are offensive to my every waking moment ," didn't he say something in the ambulance like he was only sticking it out for the writing? I don't know how much he learned through Peggy, but that's what it sounded like.

5. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Betty to Don: "She doesn't know that loving you is the worst way to get to you."

6. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I think this is a more appropriate place for you.

http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/mad-men

7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Peggy's dangerous with a homemade spear in her hands. I enjoyed the episode last night. Lots of sirens in the background.

ad180 and Hard Panner like this.
  8. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Does anyone else think they should have just gone ahead and named his character Michael Stivic? Glad to be rid of him also. A cartoon of the self-righteous hippie, but no less annoying for being a cartoon.

White_Noise and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  9. ssmith3046

I'm with you. It's a drama. Folks should switch to Walker Texa Ranger if they want corny action.

ad180 and PhilBorder like this.
  10. ssmith3046

Good point. He even looks like Michael.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  11. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I was wondering if that was Peggy and Abe going by in the background when Don and Meg were on the balcony?

12. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Ok, but the last time she was on, she didn't look any thinner. I just chalked it up to the timeline jumping ahead maybe.

13. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

I disagree...last week I thought she was just a hair over her normal weight.

14. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

I agree--something was definitely "off" about the way a point was made to show her still somewhat overweight and then with brown hair at the beginning. She's not in the show for a bit, and then she's back to ice queen Betty. Also compounded with the pretty important role she (finally) had in the show last night, it felt strange.

15. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I said last week that he was the proto-Meathead.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  16. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I don't know if the show is about Peggy or not, but, at this point, she's the one character that I'm rooting for.

17. misterdecibel

Interviews with Weiner always seem to indicate a Don-centric view of the show, but Peggy was the first character we met in scene 1 of episode 1. So our view of Don's world began the day she first went to work for him.

18. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I remembered the show starting this way too, but in fact, the first scene of episode 1 is Don talking about cigarettes with a waiter in a bar, followed by a rendezvous with Midge, his beatnik mistress.

19. misterdecibel

Dang. Stupid memory.

20. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

We probably remembered it wrong because it would have been better that way.

And I feel like what I just wrote was the basis of one of Don's campaigns.

21. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

What was "off" was the whole Fat Betty/January-Jones-in-a-fat-suit storyline to begin with. I just try to pretend that it never happened.

However, last night was the best use of Betty in this show in ages. I bought into the one night fling between Don and Betty as something that was plausible for two people with their history, and I liked the way Betty played it cool the next morning and made it clear that she was with Henry, which also seemed realistic. I agree with amoergosum above that Betty had the line of the episode, and maybe of the season so far, when she told Don that ""She [i.e., Megan] doesn't know that loving you is the worst way to get to you."

22. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

I was just learning about the concept of sperm competition the other day, which describes Henry's behavior in the car with Betty perfectly. I enjoyed seeing Betty doing something other than bitching out Don and Sally - I am a fan of January Jones' acting, and in the early seasons Betty's character was written with much more complexity than as of late.

I'm also finding the coffee guy/Pete-Roger and Don/Ted contrasts interesting, are the new guys going to continue to be so genuine, so nice? ; Pete, Don and Roger are completely dysfunctional/despicable in comparison. Even when Ted brushes off Peggy at the end of the episode he is doing the right (i.e. appropriate) thing.

Didn't like the contrived "Duck gives Pete a poignant life lesson" scene. I still can't believe that Peggy would **** Duck.

(stupid post censoring ruined my closing rhyme :realmad:; creative uses of the word **** should be allowed)

23. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I disagree on that last point. Ted was the one who kissed Peggy a few episodes back, when he was married and she was still in her relationship with Abe. Then Ted chewed Peggy out in this episode for allegedly touching his hand at work, and brought their romantic relationship back to the surface, when Peggy had done the "grown-up" thing and pretended that it never happened.

24. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Different - i was going out loud - NO! - when Don went to betty's room!

Poor old Peggie - feel sorry for her ... the bit at the end was hard - both bosses just going to there offices and closing the doors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.