Out of place album covers... music doesn't match the artwork.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mesaboogie, May 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. throbbin tower

throbbin tower Forum Resident

This cover doesn't fit anything I know of....
    [​IMG]

DTK, squittolo, Fullbug and 2 others like this.
  2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

3. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

I like the music, but this album cover DOES evoke heavy metal all the way.

artfromtex and parkmebike like this.
  4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Love that album!

throbbin tower likes this.
  5. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident

Ha, this is what kept me from getting into the album for way longer than I should have.

6. tas

tas Forum Resident

In The Court Of The Crimson King.jpg

squittolo likes this.
  7. SimplyOrange

SimplyOrange Forum Resident

At least it's not as bizarre looking as the album before it:
    [​IMG]

DTK, squittolo and throbbin tower like this.
  8. FriendlyRanger

FriendlyRanger Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Mongrel's album cover definitely does not match the music.

9. that's a tough one
    it is so iconic
    it is the music
    or the music is it
    it's hard to separate from the music

2trackmind likes this.
  10. MiracleAndWonder

MiracleAndWonder Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

From the cover, you'd think Babs was channeling her inner Yoko Ono and putting out some artsy fartsy album geared more to a hipper demographic than her normal AC crowd... musically nothing changed.

DTK, squittolo, Suncola and 1 other person like this.
  11. Chuzzlewit

Chuzzlewit New Member

After a brilliant 1st album, this fine man succumbed to melancholy... He could have been somebody... well.... maybe not..

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

12. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

[​IMG]

No surfing or car songs on this baby!

13. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

0001.JPG

The Damned, Music for Pleasure
    A rather nice and stylistic cover, but doesn't really connect with the music. It looks more like a Be Bop Deluxe record to me.

DTK, squittolo, bonestorm and 3 others like this.
  14. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

From Genesis to Revelation. I think the original cover didn't help Genesis' debut. The dark brown with the gold lettering looks to me like it would be a spoken word collection of Biblical scripture. Instead, the music inside is psychedelic pop reminiscent of early Bee Gee's, but with a young Peter Gabriel on vocals.

[​IMG]

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  15. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

[​IMG]

This is the first one I thought of. A total mismatch of music and artwork. Still, I think it's kind of humorous, at least not an awful cover.

DTK and squittolo like this.
  16. wayved

wayved Guest

I disagree with you. Paranoid by Black Sabbath is a truly *^%% up record in every way shape or form. It needed a cover that was just as terrible. And there you have it. Much more creepy than the first album cover, at least to these eyes. It would take days to explain to you...If I were ever trick or treating on Halloween I would never want to see this guy. ever. Dont think it did not pass my mind as a kid. I could pass on the house with the witch but this dude could get you at any time...the typeface was creepy too. I dont have a vinyl copy but the back was as truly creepy as well. What else would have been on the cover of this record?

17. Jale

Jale Active Member

I don't know exactly what the cover art suggests on this 1970 lp on the Evolution label -- maybe some kind of wild acid rock /bad trip psych. But what's inside is wonderful, well recorded jazzy folk and rock engineered by Norman Petty. Here's a great tune from the album:

beast.jpg

squittolo and Craig like this.
  18. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

When I came home with this one, my older brother thought I had bought some kiddie record. Can't blame him, but in reality the album contains electropop in the vein of Depeche Mode:

[​IMG]

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  19. Skoegahom

Skoegahom Forum Resident

I don't remember any songs about naked girls with toothpaste all of their bodies, but it has been a while since I've listed to the album...

[​IMG]

squittolo likes this.
  20. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

The artwork was designed when the album was still to be called War Pigs. I guess the cover image makes more sense if that is taken into consideration. I'm not sure it matches the music, though - there is a distinct element of unintended comedy which makes it look like this could be a record by someone like Alberto y Lost Trios Paranoidas.

Carserguev likes this.
  21. Osvaldo

Osvaldo Active Member

The album was originally entitled War Pigs in which case it was a perfect fit.

22. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen Vortex Surfer

So dull. So uninspired design. Nothing like Beefheart's colorful and exciting music.

[​IMG]

23. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

That was an awful cover for them. They probably wanted to obscure the fact that lead singer Philippe Wynne had left, the album before this had a tacky emblem saying "The Spinners" and that was it. Back in those days, a good, appropriate cover helped with sales.

24. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Would have been more appropriate for a bluegrass album..

[​IMG]

25. And, if you bought one of the early pressings, the grooves didn't match either! IIRC, about 1000 copies came out as "the DJ confusion edition", with the banding showing eight songs of equal length on each side. None of the spaces actually corresponded with a song.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.