FISHER all-tube receivers from 1961-66 are cheap and sound wonderful!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 27, 2010.

1. ddhd

ddhd Forum Resident

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Get a cheaper used speaker. The H's deserve top, modern gear.

3. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

Thanks to Steve, I got a really nice 400 for 250 dollars on ebay. Still have not played it yet because I want to restore it before I turn it on. And I don't know anyone here in San Jose.

Oh well. It looks great in the box. ; ' )

4. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Just picked up a Fisher 500-C on Friday and have been trying it out and it is playing and sounding very nice. It has the silcon rectifier brdge replacement and 2 new(er) can caps. I don't think the other cardboard case cap has been replaced. It has JJ 7591 output tubes and a mix of newer (RCA, Fisher, Unlabeled 12AX7's). What about the JJ OP tubes in the 500-C? What should I look for? NOS Fisher?

I also have a Fisher 400-C that needs all of the can caps replaced. Should I test all of the Fisher 12AX7's and swap the best ones in the 500-C? Will probably sell the 400-C. It sounds sloppier than the 500-C (maybe the caps) and my Large Advents like the 7 extra watts.

DigMyGroove likes this.
  5. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

In another 2 weeks, we move to our vacation house where I use a restored Fisher 400 and a pair of ADS L410 speakers. Source is generally computer files and 'net radio streaming. I may install an outboard USB dac this year. I had the Fisher restored in spring 2012. The PS, coupling caps, several interstage caps and resisters were replaced. Mix of original and replacement tubes, but the 7868 quad is Fisher branded. Love the sound !

6. Steve Hoffman

Any Westinghouse output tube will do...

7. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

OK, I just joined the club. A Mike Urban-restored Fisher 400 will be arriving next week from NJ, courtesy of a fellow SH.tv member. STOKED! fisher_with_cab2.jpg

Bananas&blow and JulesDassin like this.
  8. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

:help: I've got too many Fisher tube amps to keep/use! I need an intervention!:sweating:

9. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

I have a Fisher 500B ready for resto but I feel its a funny proposition. The Mullard long plate 12ax7 tubes that are in it (6) and 4 short plates, approx. number escapes me right now and most of these Mullards are Blackburn Great Britian 161 code but the white powder is almost all gone on them and all are worth more than a 1000 dollars or about 100-300 a piece. I spoke to many tube sellers and sites so im very curious about what to do. According to many sites including Brent Jessee recording and supply it would seem to me that I would rather keep the tubes for my current preamps and roll those wonderfull Mullards in them because the sound change has been phenomenal. Buying new ones are incredibly expensive as I stated.
    I get prices for restoration at prices from 2-4 hundred dollars but the tubes alone are worth 5-10 times the whole machine (?)and if I was to buy a restored or original with the tubes that came in it or restore mine is it a much better propersition just to use the tubes for my current equipment and if I do restore it how do I know unless its a local resto place that some tube swapping (stealing) is going on-paranoid.

10. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

Hey apesfan, did you put the Mullards in? Fisher's 12xx7's were usually Telefunken and GE.

Steve

11. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

I put the Mullard 12ax7 blackburn 161 into the Vincent 236II and it totally changed the sound. Its an amazing transformation and one I feel is better to keep the tubes than restore the Fisher --at times. I restored muscle cars and it contradicts what im saying but "Hearing is definiataly beleiving". Im all messed up, what to do?

12. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

I'll intervene. Gimme one! I'll be nice and pay for shipping. :)

Saint Johnny likes this.
  13. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

very nice! congrats and enjoy.

14. action pact

Thank you! :)

15. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

I understand that the right thing to do is restore my Fisher 500b but the tubes that are/were in it transformed the sound of the Vincent into a tube amp that I can only compare to an Audio Research or a Mcintosh, it is that amazing. The sound is so full and thick and wonderfull and deep, so what would you do especially since getting replacement tubes would cost at least 225 dollars a pair or more for 1961 Mullard Blackburn 161 ESS83/12ax7 tubes that sound like they were never played.
    I know Mr. Hoffman said restore and hes right but until I can get more of the same tubes, about 6 of them ( Long plate smooth grayMullards) for a resonable price I must wait.
    Take care all I feel better, John M.

16. paul cbc

paul cbc Senior Member

With those nice tubes on board, it sounds like you got the Fisher for "free".
    Keep those tubes or sell to subsidize your refurb?

I would restore the amp and buy some used/testing good tubes to get it going. There are a few key positions in the Fisher where the best tubes really shine. Other than that, you do not need kilobuck tubes. Restored and up to snuff? Plenty of good used tubes out there from 20-40 ea that will sound great. RCA, Telefunken, GE, Raytheon, and older EI 12AX7's are all solid choices for your Fisher (IMHO).

Not using the phono section? No need for exotic tubes there-stick in some New Sovtek 12aX7 LPS. Good tubes and very quiet/stable. About 12-14 bucks each. As you upgrade tubes, these become nice backups.

If/when funds allow you should restore the Fisher. Adding nicer tubes later will only make it sound better!
    Enjoy,
    Paul

17. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

I have a Fisher 500-C with new Can Caps and mostly newer Tubes, JJ output and variety of 12AX7s. I also have a Fisher 400-C that need Caps but has Original Fisher (Tele) tubes. I am going to have a friend test the tubes in both and keep the best ones. I will probably sell the 400-c. Which are the key spots to replace the 12AX7s with the original Fisher tubes?

18. paul cbc

paul cbc Senior Member

My experience w/ a Fisher 400:

V10-Tone Controls
    V9-Voltage amp
    V11 & V12-phase inverter R/L
    V7 & V8-Phono (if not used, put in lesser, but stable tubes)

Your mileage may vary, etc.

Enjoy,
    Paul

Bubbamike likes this.
  19. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Thanks! I will experiment and report back.

20. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

I bought those Russian Sovtek tubes and their not bad, better than the Chinese ones that came with the Vincent. Companies like Vincent if they continue to get popular with good word of mouth should give the consumer a choice of what make tubes, at special prices ofcourse, because tubes make a very good Vincent sound great. A good oportunity if you ask me. Take care, John M.

21. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I really like the Toshiba 7591's that I've been using. I have four Westinghouse tubes in reserve though.

22. action pact

Delivering on Monday.... can't wait!!

23. MTP20

MTP20 Forum Resident

Does anyone have experience using a Fisher 400 with a pair of Magnepan MMGs? Does it have enough power to support those speakers?

24. Steve Hoffman

No, it doesn't.

dhoffa85 likes this.
  25. paul cbc

paul cbc Senior Member

This thread is most enjoyable.

Went for a 500B on auction today.
    Hoping with fingers crossed that it arrives in good shape.

I am interested in how it sounds compared to my well loved 400.
    I need another piece of gear like Elvis needed more rhinestones in his later years, but really want to hear how the 500B sounds.

Sweeter than the 400?
    Hard to believe, but I am hopeful to experience such loveliness.

Paul