Frank Zappa's 'A Token of His Extreme' to be released in June

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Panda, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

Didn't see this posted yet. More 1974 material for those who can't get enough

http://www.antimusic.com/news/13/Ap...n_Of_His_Extreme_Finally_Being_Released.shtml

Frank Zappa created a TV program called "A Token Of His Extreme" during the summer of 1974 and at long last the program will be released for the very first time commercially on June 4th by Eagle Rock.
    Zappa appeared on the Mike Douglas Show in 1976 and had this to say about the program, "This was put together with my own money and my own time and it's been offered to television networks and to syndication and it has been steadfastly rejected by the American television industry. It has been shown in primetime in France and Switzerland, with marvelous results.
    "It's probably one of the finest pieces of video work that any human being has ever done. I did it myself. And the animation that you're gonna see in this was done by a guy named Bruce Bickford, and I hope he is watching the show, because it's probably the first time that a lot of people in America got a chance to see it."
    Kayos sent over these details: The program was recorded on August 27, 1974 at KCET in Hollywood and feature Zappa on guitar, percussion, vocals; George Duke—keyboards, finger cymbals, tambourine, vocals; Napoleon Murphy Brock—sax, vocals; Ruth Underwood—percussion; Tom Fowler—bass; Chester Thompson—drums.

The release features performances of The Dog Breath Variations/ Uncle Meat, Montana, Florentine Pogen, Stink-Foot, Pygmy Twylyte, Room Service, Inca Roads, Oh No, Son Of Orange County, More Trouble Every Day, A Token Of My Extreme.

Stereo Mixes Produced by Frank Zappa with Kerry McNabb at Paramount Studios, 1974. Mastered by Bob Ludwig, Gateway Mastering, 2009.

smokeverbs and alfeizar like this.
  2. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Isn't most of this already on the Dub Room Special? It'll be nice to see the whole thing!

3. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

I think this version will include the soundtrack without the overdubbed sound effects in the animated section. Also without those annoying linking sections in the Dub Room and the cuts to the 1981 MTV special (available separately on the Torture Never Stops DVD). Sign me up!

4. E()

E() Cat Herder

I think that is correct. I have an ancient VHS version of the show that only has the '74 stuff and does not have the stuff added in the Dub Room Special. I would expect this to be the same as that old tape ... but still an upgrade.

5. alfeizar

alfeizar Active Member

Great news thanks for sharing the link!

6. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I'm IN!!!!! :bdance:

7. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

jsayers likes this.
  8. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

Yes, sorry. You're right, I misread your post. :thumbsup:

I'm not a fan of that animated nightmare, though. Isn't it right at the start of Montana's guitar solo?

9. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

For the viewers at home, Mr Meat deleted his post after I had replied to it, so I deleted my reply. Sorry if that got confusing.

I don't think there was a guitar solo in Montana (unless it was just edited out). Might have been in Florentine Pogen and/or Inca Roads. I quite like the animation, but I wasn't a fan of the sound effects.

10. Uncle_Meat

Uncle_Meat Forum Resident

The animation is through the Inca Roads solo. Very annoying. Can't wait to own it without the sound effects.

11. There should also be a dedicated mono mix of this, since it was initially done for TV in the mid 70s, right? I'd be surprised Zappa didn't take care of that.

The clips on Youtube of the old Token show sound (mix) different to me, but my 'puter equipment is too poor for me to check it out...

12. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

This is being released, yet still no Roxy DVD. ********.

13. Uncle_Meat

Uncle_Meat Forum Resident

It's already mixed and good to go. Just needed a polish. The Roxy film isn't in that state at all. There's no comparison.

Pete Puma and jsayers like this.
  14. mikefromlongisla

mikefromlongisla Active Member

A TOKEN OF HIS EXTREME

Frank Zappa & the Mothers
    A Token of his Extreme
    KCET TV, Los Angeles August 27, 1974

73:00

FZ, Napoleon Murphy Brock, George Duke, Tom Fowler, Chester Thompson, Ruth Underwood

1. Dog Meat 4:01
    2. Montana 6:04
    3. George Freak Out 5:43
    4. Florentine Pogen 10:01
    5. Stinkfoot 4:16
    6. Pygmy Twylyte 8:38
    7. Room Service 8:40
    8. Inca Roads 9:51
    9. Oh No 1:39
    10. Son of Orange County 5:29
    11. Trouble Every Day 7:16
    12. A Token of my Extreme 1:22

15. This one is an autobuy for me.

dlokazip likes this.
  16. Drotz1

Drotz1 Forum Resident

i would say this version is just the '74 show with animations. No 81 footage and no mossimo i would assume.

17. Ian Beabout

Ian Beabout New Member

18. RickJ

RickJ Forum Resident

19. Yes, super review, thanks to Ian!

...Now, really no one knows about the existence, or lack thereof, of a darn dedicated mono mix of this show??...

20. Watched it last night. Just a few of quick points:
    -Performances are all excellent as you would expect from this band in '74
    -The editing is not great -particularly when they do quick cuts to create some sort of desired "effect" that I find awful (fortunately these taper off as the program progresses)
    -Claymation is all over a few songs (Uncle Meat and Inca Roads are impacted hard) and though I respect the art, I would rather watch the band playing
    - Needed more shots of Ruth :love:
    - Napolean Murphy Brock is a great front man and exotic dancer!
    - Sound is stereo only and sounds good to me -no complaints
    - The Mike Douglas Show segment extra is very good -Mike's questions were interesting and Frank's answers always honest and direct

sound chaser likes this.

21. Is the bit where Zappa credits Marty Perellis as "Chester's gorilla" back in, at the end of "Florentine Pogen"? I am curious about this because it was on the VHS version of "The Dub Room Special", then deleted from the DVD version...

22. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I watched about an hour of the DVD last night. Great stuff. Finally. My favorite era ... I'm happy.

23. Not sure...I can check tonight though.

ParloFax likes this.
  24. Ian Beabout

Ian Beabout New Member

Thanks for reading!

25. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

I plan to watch my copy this weekend and post a review on Metal-Rules in the Rock section.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.