SH Spotlight 45 RPM mastering "Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section", one of THE greatest albums of all time.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

This my favorite Art Pepper album. I can only imagine how good it will sound with your mastering choices...

Bob:)

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  2. triple

triple Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: Is "Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section" one of THE greatest jazz albums of al

To be precise, "the original MoFi silver disc" (which I have) is the reissue of Art Pepper & Eleven, not AP Meets The Rhythm Section.

I wish it was the other way round, since I much prefer the quartet masterpiece.

BTW, just about any Contemporary reissue from 1956-1962 that I have sounds more or less wonderful (be it DCC, JVC or MFSL). A personal favourite is Benny Carter: Swingin The 20's . I am very sad DCC decided not to do it, so I ended up with a JVC reissue, which cost me $36.

Regards,
    Goran

3. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Steve, do you know the Lennie Tristano live recordings from June 11, 1955 (The Sing Song Room, Confucius Restaurant, NYC), recorded by Tom Dowd for Atlantic Records? They are stereo, and available in the Complete Atlantic Recordings of Lennie Tristano, Lee Konitz & Warne Marsh Mosaic box set.

Another very early jazz stereo recording is one of the July 1956 sessions on Chet Baker & Crew (Pacific Jazz).

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Sure, and Dave Brubeck has some 1953 stereo remotes as well. I was speaking of full-time studio recordings. Everything, no exceptions. Starting in spring of 1956. Pretty cool.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  5. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: Is "Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section" one of THE greatest jazz albums of al

I have a JVC Japan Issue from 1985 or so. It has echo. Still, it sounds pretty good. Of course, I know Steve's version is better. Still, when that horn comes in, it sounds so real and so close. Steve's version must sound incredible. I wish I could get a copy for Christmas. I will have to ask my wife :D

6. duff138

duff138 Forum Resident

Got this for Christmas. I'm hooked, I'll be buying more of these 45rpm releases real soon!

7. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

BIG fan of this album as well. A question to Steve or anyone in the know: is the 33rpm of this album from AP the same source as the 45rpm or did it need remastering again for whatever reason? Thanks!

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Which version? What year release, etc.?

Geez, this is an old thread!

9. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I have an AP 33 RPM that was mastered by Doug Sax. The 45 RPM is a different mastering by our host and Kevin Gray.

10. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

There is a gold CD version of this album on AP, also mastered by Doug Sax. Not bad, but he narrowed down the stereo separation a bit, which I didn't like. I wonder if the same mastering is on the 33?

By the way, the story Pepper liked to tell (which Steve repeats at the top of this thread) about how he hadn't played "for months" prior to this session was not true. He'd done a session just five days before the Meets the Rhythm Section recordings, and had done a lot of other recording in the six months prior. Either he was confused about dates (he did have a several-months-long layoff in the second half of 1958) or he was just engaging in self-mythologizing.

11. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

So, was there a consensus on the best digital version of this album? If so, which is it (be it in print or out of print)?

Thanks!

12. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

This is easy; get the SHM-SACD! (Not the Analogue Production SACD)

The SHM-SACD is the dry version without added reverb and it sound wonderful analogue and a feeling of listening direct into the tapes. What more can you ask for?
    I guess this was Steve and Kevin strived for when cutting the 45Lp.

RiRiIII likes this.
  13. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

...and I agree with Steve, one of the best jazz recordings of all time. It has such a great vitality, Imo.

RiRiIII likes this.
  14. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Funny, I was just about to post the same thing as I'd checked it out before.

Here's the recordings we know about.

http://www.jazzdisco.org/art-pepper/discography/

Nice story but not true.

Great album though - one of the very first that I bought when I started collecting jazz in the late 70s.

15. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The old Japanese CD with catalog number VDJ-1556 is very good. Steve has posted a preference for this disc in other threads.

If you consider the SHM-SACD (which I haven't heard), note that it is not a hybrid disc. It only plays on SACD players.

16. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I really love Art Pepper Quintet – 10 to 4 at the 5 spot. It has maybe my favorite Elvin Jones playing.

I will be checking this out for sure.

17. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

I assume that this Japanese VDJ-1556 CD and the Japanese SHM-SACD could be mastered from the same stereo master tapes (japan dub tapes).

18. Joe D.

Joe D. Forum Resident

Isn't that the Pepper Adams LP?

19. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Yes. Pre-tea early morning post. I think I need to go put that on and get it out of my system. That’s funny.

20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

10 to 4 at the Five Spot is a Pepper Adams album. Art Pepper does not play on that one.

jupiterboy likes this.
  21. Evan

Evan Senior Member

The VDJ-1556 booklet states that the CD was mastered from the original analog 1950's source material by Danial Hersch at the JVC Cutting Center, Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA in 1986 using the JVC/DAS-900 Digital Audio Mastering System. It would appear that the Japanese VDJ-1556 CD is from the US master (or at least a US dub)

22. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

The story I've always heard was that he basically rolled out of prison to the recording studio. Art did several stretches in the pokey.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  23. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

How 'bout the OJC vinyl and CD? Original Jazz Classics usually used the dry masters for their Contemporary reissues. Unlike the original pressings, which always added reverb at the mastering stage.

24. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I'm curious about the OJC too. I had it on my list a few years back. Some of the OJCs sound great for $12. I think the 45 RPM was long OOP by the time I got into vinyl.

25. Randy S

Randy S Ibuprofen junkie In Memoriam

I've got the OJC vinyl. Sounds very good.

Stone Turntable and goldwax like this.