SH Spotlight 45 RPM mastering "Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section", one of THE greatest albums of all time.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 12, 2002.

1. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

The old AP gold was mastered by Doug Sax so that probably means that BG did the SACD.

2. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Wouldn't go so far as to call it among the greatest jazz albums of all time, but this thread will inspire me to throw the APO SACD on during dinner this evening.

3. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I do consider this as amongst the best jazz albums of all time- I could never pick one best.

4. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

I would say that it hit me harder on first listen than any other jazz album has in a long, long time if ever.

Does that make it the best? Not necessarily, but it is damn good!

5. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

7. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

I will have to check the version I have. I think it is the K2 mastering which I doubt is held in high regard. It may be time to drop some cash to get a better version.

As good as this is, I prefer the later Pepper era - especially the live performances. Last night, this thread inspired me to play the live Village Vanguard discs and a Live in Japan CD. He didn't hold anything back in these late career performances. He was a great one.

8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

AP simultaneously released two different gold CD versions of this album, one mastered by Grundman and one by Sax. Not sure who did the AP SACD. As I mentioned upthread, the problem (IMO) with the Sax mastering is that he narrowed the stereo image a bit. Haven't heard the Grundman.

9. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

So, there is one listed as JVC Japan at Amazon, is that the best one? It says it came out in 2005?

10. sgtsteiner

sgtsteiner Lives Life in 20Bit K2 Processing

JVC XRCD and AP Gold are both fantastic. I'd probably reach for the XRCD first, but Doug Sax's work is really, really smooth. Great stuff.

And yes, this is obviously one of the greatest jazz albums in history. Of course that list has, like, five thousand records on it :)

11. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

VDJ-1556 is the first issue. I don't know if later Japanese issues are clones of the first issue.

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I believe they are, yes. At least of the Pepper and Sonny Contemporary titles.

13. KeithH

Good to know. Thanks, Steve.

14. Steve Hoffman

I think the JVC's beat the XRCD and the Gold CD's and SACD's because they:

1. Don't fold in the channels.
    2. Don't have any outboard EQ.
    3. Don't have any outboard compression or limiting.
    4. Don't have any outboard reverb or echo added.

I like to hear my Contemporary/Roy DuNann/Howard Holzer engineered stuff "pure", like when it was recorded.

SteelyTom and hvbias like this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

That being said, not everyone in the world wants to hear it "pure" like this. The Doug Sax versions fold in the channels, add some reverb wetness and soften the EQ of both channels. That's the way Doug thinks the stuff sounds best. I admire Doug and his work always so if you have one of his versions, be happy. But in the case of CONTEMPORARY Records' masters, I am just a sucker for that "live" Ampex 350-2 pure sound. The sound of the mail room, after hours, swinging.

16. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I did some searching. The 2005 release is VICJ-41229. This is part of the 20-bit K2 Best Value 1500 series. The VDJ mastering is not 20-bit. There have been a number of 20-bit releases in the ninties (this title seems to be reissued every year or two.)

http://www.fanfan1.com/products/detail/704648

17. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

In the txt-cover of the SHM-SACD, there is mention of the xrcd, SACD, 45rpm 2-Lp set (Steve's version?) and a 180g Lp. Maybe they referenced the SHM-SACD against these versions?
    The Japanese SACD has a wider stereo image compared to the Sax SACD, very open sound, textures in spades and you also hear the space/room in the recording, not only the natural reverb there is. (As Steve pointed out for his 45 rpm Lp).

Maybe someone in US/California could lent Steve the SHM-SACD? I'm curious how close it is to the tape master in sound quality.

18. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

Just grabbed a copy of the 1986 JVC.

Once received I'll do a comparison of the original UK mono Contemporary - Vogue vinly plus the JVC and an OJC cd.

19. KeithH

Thanks again, Steve. The VDJ CD has been my go-to disc. Truth be told, I may have picked up the gold disc mastered by Doug Sax a couple of years ago, but I would have to check when I am home.

20. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

http://www.stereophile.com/interviews/402roy/index.html

Here's a link to an interview with Contemporary engineer Roy DuNann that was published years ago in Stereophile magazine. I know that this has appeared in the forum before, but I found it interesting to read again while studying this thread. Thought I would share it in case anyone missed it before. :)

21. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

22. Steve Hoffman

Always a great read. Note this line: For JVC's XRCD series, Akira Taguchi added the reverb digitally.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  23. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Would this be the one to get?

24. Joe D.

Joe D. Forum Resident

I do that myself.

I'm going to play the Pepper Adam's LP tonight, I'm off tomorrow and I have some of my home brew to go with it!

jupiterboy likes this.
  25. KeithH