Sinatra on Reprise: 'Single' CDs vs. the suitcase

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shicorp, May 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Eh, it's a little bright overall, so I'd say it's not - THE CAPITOL YEARS set was done better as a whole. But don't let that stop you, especially if you have little to none of this material and would like an introduction to it.

2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

You also should be aware that overall the Capitol stuff was most all so well engineered to begin with. The Reprise material has more varied sonics even before getting into the mastering of particular releases, especially something like this set that spans a long period of time.

(I say most all because - to my taste - Capitol sometimes overdid the echo in their "live" mono recordings from 1957 onward).

3. George P

George P Notable Member

All very helpful!! Thanks so much!

MMM likes this.
  4. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks for the extra info.

Can you tell me if there was an outer cardboard slipbox on this box?

5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

If we're thinking of the same thing, yes. It's black and white, and lists the songs in the set, among other stuff. I keep that inside the set, in the book.

6. George P

George P Notable Member

I have two options on amazon, one is $5 cheaper and says that the outer slip case is missing, that must be what they mean. Is it worth the extra five bucks for it?

7. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

To me it would be, but to someone else who doesn't care about the set being complete it may not.

8. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

It's the first Sinatra " collection" I bought too, mainly for the song "Tina" . There was a time I didn't even know about the song "Tina".... those were the days , I've learned a lot more since then AND purchased a great deal more Sinatra also.

Nice idea Bob, ref " Here's To The Ladies"

MMM likes this.
  9. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks. Is the info that is on it available elsewhere in the set/booklet?

10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes and no. The song titles are, but it has some content describing the set that is not.

11. George P

George P Notable Member

Ok, thanks.

I just noticed that the amazon listing that says it doesn't have this is explicit, but the one that doesn't say it's missing also doesn't say that it's there. So I may not get it anyway.

From what you are saying it sounds like one of those cards that they put under the cellophane on the back of the set, correct? I imagine non-collectors just throw stuff like that away.

12. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes, exactly.

13. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks, you just saved me $5! :wave:

14. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member Thread Starter

I must say I'm pretty excited about this - more so than I thought ;) I knew all the music - and never listened to the box set anyway; first thing I did was to put it in album order - but now it's a wholly different experience - having them in front of me with their original covers :)

It's also interesting to put the re-issues into chronological order:

The Concert Sinatra
    Academy Award Winners
    It Might As Well Be Swing
    September of My Years
    A Man and His Music
    Strangers in the Night
    Sinatra at the Sands
    Frank Sinatra's Greatest Hits
    My Way
    Frank Sinatra's Greatest Hits, Vol. 2
    Ol' Blue Eyes Is Back
    The Main Event

Sinatra-Basie
    Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim
    Francis A. & Edward K.
    Trilogy

Swing Along with Me [Sinatra Swings]
    Softly, As I Leave You
    My Kind of Broadway

Ring-a-Ding Ding!
    I Remember Tommy
    Sinatra & Strings
    Sinatra's Sinatra
    Moonlight Sinatra
    That's Life
    The World We Knew
    Cycles
    A Man Alone
    Sinatra & Company
    Some Nice Things I've Missed
    She Shot Me Down

Sinatra and Swingin' Brass
    All Alone

Sinatra Sings Great Songs from Great Britain

Watertown

L.A. Is My Lady

15. shicorp

Talk about men and their toys ;)

16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Organizing them by year doesn't really expose the actual CD release sequence, as they were issued in smaller batches months apart, especially during the major release years of 1987 and 1991. Catalog numbers and bar codes are not a reliable indicator of release date, as these were obviously preassigned.

I think the first four titles, released about January 1987 (late 1986?), were these: September of My Years, Sinatra at the Sands, My Way, and Ol' Blue Eyes Is Back.

shicorp likes this.
  17. shicorp

Unfortunately, most of the original release dates on amazon.com have gone. The German release date for "Strangers", "September" and "Sands" is 10/16/1986 - which I also remember that way from older databases. "Swing Along With Me", "Strings" et al. have a 1993 EU release date. Don't know if they've really been delayed by two years or if they had been deleted in the meantime and 1993 was just the year of the re-pressing...

18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Early CD release dates on Amazon.com are highly unreliable. Remember that Amazon (and its database) didn't exist in 1986 and 1993. :)

shicorp likes this.
  19. shicorp

That's, of course, true. I only remember the 1986 dates from a CD ROM database I had running on earlier Windows versions - and it was going way back to the earliest days of CDs - like the German pressing of the "My Fair Lady" soundtrack. Maybe I'll find a way to run it on Win7. Anyway, it won't clear up the confusion about the 1993 dates of "Strings" etc. - I clearly remember them listed there as 1993 as well...

20. George P

George P Notable Member

So true, when I look for original CD releases now, I look for a 1990 release date, which lmost always means it's the original CD.

21. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

It's interesting to see what albums were chosen for the first batch. Only one album that originally came out in the independent Reprise era. In a similar vein, earlier in the 1980's, when Sinatra/Reprise LPs came with inner sleeves that noted his other albums, the earlier albums were IIRC mostly not available in other formats like the relatively later ones. The two older hits collections make sense, even if they're not overly reflective of the period. ACADEMY AWARD WINNERS is especially interesting in that "The Way You Look Tonight" wasn't used with Michelob yet (I wonder if its CD availability helped spur that?). Also similarly, "Fly Me To The Moon" was used early in the 1987 movie WALL STREET - they even showed a CD player being used for the song.

22. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

With few exceptions*, the original Reprise CDs did not contain printed release or production dates in the liners or on the discs themselves. The only dates which appear in the packages are those of the original LP releases.

*Exceptions, with separate publishing dates (P-in-circle symbol), are these:

Ring-a-Ding Ding! (1991)
    Sinatra and Swingin' Brass (1992)
    All Alone (1992)
    Sinatra Sings Great Songs from Great Britain (1993)

23. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks again for your help! My (used, amazon, third party seller) copy arrived and turned out to be a club copy (though not advertised as such.) I complained to the seller and was offered a partial refund. So my set cost me $7.99. Not too shabby.

24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I hope you received the full 36-page book, with color album covers centerfold. Once all the music became available in later issues, that was the most important part of THE REPRISE COLLECTION 4-CD set for me.

25. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Surely "My Way" would at least be an honorable mention? I've always enjoyed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.