SH Spotlight Play the Kinks "Waterloo Sunset" in stereo, check and fix or improve your stereo playback with it!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 15, 2013.

1. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I remember the first time I listened to 'Amused To Death' by Roger Waters which was recorded in Q sound, and how it spooked me, always wondered how they achieved that....

2. Wish I had a room that allowed for some flexibility with speaker placement.

supermd, progrocker, Ash76 and 2 others like this.
  3. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

The lead vocal on "Situation Vacant" also has the same problem.
    The German LP has a different mix of "Afternoon Tea".

4. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Wow, thanks Steve. That was the cheapest, quickest system tweak I've ever made! Luckily I have a super flexible listening room and can move speakers/couches quickly and easily (love hardwood!). It was freaky once I found the sweet spot, as the vocals suddenly became 3 dimensional. Of course it seemed appropriate to celebrate with more Kinks. :D

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Glad it worked for you. Now you can amaze your friends.

6. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

One of the most beautiful songs, ever. Nice to know you can tweak your speaker setup with it!

7. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Yeah, that gets intoo where the "Golden Triangle" point should be: right in front, right in the middle, or right behind you [your skull]. i always did the middle [ear] thing; butt yrs ago came across the forward & back placement for diff soundstaging.
    SettlED back too the middle, i'll have too go back specifically w/this tune & have some more fun [always considerED spk placement (vertical, horizontal, and/or front-too-back) too be a 'FREE' upgrade!].
    No reply requestED nor requirED.

Now Playing [literally on 3WK]:

8. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I hear the background singing, especially towards the very end, sounding mostly overhead rather than around me. It does remind me of the QSound kind of thing.

9. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I wish my living room wasn't constantly noisy and populated so I wouldn't always have to use headphones. I feel like I'm missing out on quite the experience. :(

10. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I listened to both the one on Something Else and The Kink Kronikles. The KK version provided a more holographic sense to the background vocals than the SE version which seemed a little more anchored to center/left than across the whole soundstage. Main thing is I hadn't listened to that wonderful song in far too long.

fairaintfair and Rickchick like this.
  11. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

I recall listening to Waters' Amused To Death the first time in my living room, via a set of Magnapan speakers...there's a spot where some angry backwards-recorded voice comes in, on that occasion off to the left from open space in the dining room - I about jumped out of my skin!

Do the b-vocs in the stereo "Waterloo" do anything weird via headphones?

bonzo59 likes this.
  12. JustVinyl

JustVinyl Forum Resident

Hmmm ... several possibilities here ... either my equipment, hearing, understanding or source is defective. At least it reminded me to listen to The Kinks more often and, oh yes, dust my speakers occasionally.

A6mzero likes this.
  13. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Listening to the old Reprise CD of "Something Else," I heard the same thing, but it still has that extreme recessed, wide stereo quality (enhanced by the Fisher 400 I recently acquired).

14. moops

moops Senior Member

Hey, that was kinda cool ! Thanks for the tip :wave:

15. Blue Collar Man

Blue Collar Man Active Member

Technically, the stereo version isn't being praised per se, it's just being recommended as a good track to test your stereo setup.

16. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

O-Town in the house!
    You'll have too find that music-only rm; even if its smaller... it would be worth it!!

Oaktown New/Old Skool:

17. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I have the UK PRT vinyl. I will try this later.

18. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Been playing the Kinks Khronicles on endless repeat in my car this week, what a bloody brilliant record all the way through. And last time I did I actually started belting out the lyrics and harmonies on "Waterloo Sunset" with great joy and zest, which made me smile and happy. Great music should do that; "Waterloo Sunset" surely is. But then this whole collection makes me smile. Surely it would make a great Audio Fidelity choice/seller!

19. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

I assume this is designed to maximize the sound stage width but will this not in turn affect room modes and modal resonances?

20. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

For my money, Kronikles is the most perfectly compiled collection ever. Shame about the dodgy sound quality, though; at least the CD doesn't use fake stereo like the LP (although "Mindless Child Of Motherhood" is a fold-down.) Audio Fidelity, MFSL, are you listening?

[email protected] and Keith V like this.
  21. Flipje

Flipje Forum Resident

I will have to wait until tomorrow to check this properly, but I think I just heard the effect.
    I had a surround experience a while ago when I was listening to the stereo Beatles For Sale.
    After Putting the speakers closer to each other, the effect was totally gone.

22. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

This is a cool thing to try-it sounds like the backing vocals are coming from my surrounds.
    A tiny toe-out adjustment enhanced the effect.

23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Well, yeah, that's the idea, your surrounds aren't on but it sounds like they are. Now that you have adjusted your speakers, leave in this position for all music. It will be just right.

24. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Thanks for mentioning a toe-out adjustment as I thought I was going nuts. I've got a strange room as it's like a loft and my Totems are hung off the ceiling (woofer on top of the tweeter as they recommend) and I'm getting the surround effect by toeing out.

My Waterloo Sunset is vinyl off 'Golden Hour' and sounds incredible!

25. Panama Red has a similar effect.

Of course I'm referring to the album

image.jpg

lobo and JulesDassin like this.