Video Game music... on Vinyl? Also, General Appreciation, Because Why Not?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MrRom92, Jun 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ausamerika

ausamerika Forum Resident

It's interesting that you bring up the Bioshock 2 soundtrack. In actuality, the LP that came with the deluxe version of Bioshock 2 was the score for the first game. Odd combination, I thought. Anyway, I was a little disappointed that it was the score (which is good, but not preferable), and not the licensed soundtrack that was so amazing and appropriate for the game.

MrRom92 likes this.
  2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Why not a greatest Video Game themes LP release? Some of the game music is great.

3. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel Thread Starter

I guess it depends who is doing the LP. For a smaller label, it may be simpler to just license a soundtrack that has already been put together and released as a CD. With so many intellectual properties involved, it could be a legal mess for different series' music to be put together, even if all from the same company or development studio. There are a number of LPs that have music from different games, namely the (not so legal) ones meant for DJ usage. There are also the Sega Collection albums that came out recently, and Nintendo did put out a "Famicom Collection" on CD and LP in the 80's, with songs from Zelda, Donkey Kong, Super Mario, etc. Both of these are expensive though. I do agree that it's a great idea, it is one I would like to see happen, just one that isn't entirely likely to see the day of light. Unfortunately. Few labels would ever put that much effort into securing a title that would surely sell such low units, and Nintendo already doesn't like doing OST releases on their own.

Thank you for telling us about this! This looks really great and I'm definitely going to check it out :righton: Very awesome that that there's pretty much a station devoted to this stuff. I think that in itself says a lot about how deeply these songs can affect and move so many people regardless of their simplicity.

Never thought I'd be discussing the different masterings of a video game OST :laugh: I borrowed the cd from a friend and ripped it, as I don't have a 3Ds and don't plan on buying the 3Ds. So it would have been pointless for me to purchase the game just for the free soundtrack. Anyhow, it sounds okay over headphones... until you listen with headphones. The sound is very grainy and lo-fi, like a very low resolution digital file. I don't know what the 3ds hardware sounds like, but I'd imagine the CD was recorded directly from that. Not sure why they wouldn't do a straight reissue of the older CD, which I suspect was just the game's MIDI files rendered as digital audio rather than being played through hardware and recorded. I have the original US soundtrack from the 90's, and it sounds much much smoother, and "hi-fi", if that term could be applied to a MIDI composition.

There is a Japanese pressing of the OST which features different track timings and significantly higher amount of tracks than it's US counterpart. I'm very curious to see if this was produced in the same manner and hear how it sounds, if I could only secure a copy.

George McClellan likes this.
  4. htom

htom Senior Member

If this is the version you're looking for, it can be found, but not all that cheaply.

5. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel Thread Starter

That's the issue :( Seeing as how Nintendo wouldn't make any money off the sale of a used collectable disc, I wouldn't have any moral qualms about downloading it if a FLAC rip were to surface... Video Game OSTs and FLAC don't seem to go hand in hand, so I find myself purchasing many of the original discs.

6. rdr_ostvinyl.jpg I've got the Red Dead Redemption double LP red vinyl set and, while parts of the records are a bit noisy, it's a very cool set IMO.

Sathington Willoughby likes this.
  7. mfp

mfp Senior Member

Through the grapevine I heard the French label Pan European Recording is prepping a compilation of video games soundtracks, focused on the 8-bit era.

8. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

If you like Beck and you like video games, he did an EP of 4 remixes that used 8 bit video game sound effects called Gameboy Variations. They sound very cool, and are available for download.

9. Oniros

Oniros New Member

A bit of old news but I had no idea where to post this. Streets of Rage 2 and the Shenmue OSTs are being repressed on vinyl. Preorders available here.

10. Oniros

Oniros New Member

This year has been exploding with VGM soundtrack vinyl releases! At iam8bit alone you can find pre-orders for Journey, Banjo Kazooie, Perfect Dark, and more.

11. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Oh man. I remember playing this game in the Pizzeria back in the late 90's and getting my ass handed to me every time by Michelle.
    She was tough as nails. *sigh* Good memories. :love:

12. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i told myself i wasnt going to collect video game music on vinyl....thought it was stupid.

well... this month i started my video game vinyl collection lol

so far i got:
    castlevania moon records clear vinyl with red splatter
    mega man 1-10 picture disc
    banjo kazooie 2LP red and brown vinyl
    battle toads green yellow swirl vinyl
    donkey kong lp from the 80s....its kids music like what you hear at chuck e cheese...lol but its cool.

i remember there was a gold zelda moon records vinyl that i shrugged off....now i want it but its 100$ :(

13. phish

phish Jack Your Body

The minecraft soundtrack is great.

[​IMG]

roughdiamondnickel likes this.
  14. roughdiamondnickel

roughdiamondnickel Forum Resident

Spotify has a video game section for soundtracks (Genres > Gaming). I've been exploring it recently and currently have on the League of Legends soundscore.

Very nice, Celtic type epic music --- reminds me of something from Lord of the Rings.

15. erifles

erifles Well-Known Member

This will always be my favourite game music.

16. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I demand Paul McCartney's collaborative game soundtrack "Destiny" on... CD, at least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.