Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed Original Mix question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gorilla, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think so too, although I have not heard them. However, I have heard the version on Legend of a Band and The Moody Blues Anthology and it does sound a little different. Tuesday Afternoon is one track where the mix differences are almost undetectable (to me at least), except that at the end, Ray Thomas's flute is a lot more prominent in the original mix and the fade to the orchestra is a little different.

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Er...I would hope Bill would know...<g>

3. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I wish Steve could do an AF 2-fer CD of the original mix and the remix...

4. I'd happily pay $30 for an AF gold cd of just the original stereo,
    no bonus tracks except perhaps "Cities" in mono. I don't need 2 copies of the
    lp back to back, and I already have the gold MoFi of the remix (which I never play).

SACD/hybrid would suit me better than HDCD.

5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

If "Nights" has been reissued, why not the rest of the album. Was only part of the master worn/damaged? What source was used for the original mix of "Nights"?

6. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

The only copy I have of this is the GK version. And yes it sounds great. And mine cost me a $1.

7. Gorilla

Gorilla Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just found out something interesting about the cassette version of this album. I heard a UK tape which features the original mix. What's weird is that unlike both the original and the remix LPs, it repeats "Evening, time to get away" twice instead of 3 times right before the first "See all you people" section. I don't know if this is unique to the UK tape or if it is the same for the US cassette.

Speaking of the cassettes, it was mentioned earlier that all known cassette versions featured the original mix. Were any of the later cassette issues recorded on better quality (chrome tape, Dolby HX Pro) tape? I think Polygram was using these sorts of quality measures by the late 80s (?). All the ones I've seen (the US ones anyway) were made with normal-bias tape, though I think Dolby B was used.

I've tried needle-dropping this LP a couple of times, though my results have been mixed. I've had to use more click removal that I would like, due to the several quiet sections. Also, this LP is challenging due to the very loud passages at the end of each side; inner groove distortion/tracking error has been an issue with all the copies I've worked with.

In an effort to find cleaner copies, I wondered if any newer pressings (that were played fewer times) might be the way to go. My problem was not knowing whether the LPs that I saw on eBay were the original mix or not. I figured the ones released on Decca (not Deram) were the remix (Cat # DAO 6) for sure. Can anyone tell me whether or not the Cat # SML 707 would definitely be the original? Newer copies with the unbanded cover have been released with both numbers, but I'm willing to bet that most sellers would not know which version they have.

Dodoz likes this.
  8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Listening to the US tape now. 3x "evening, time to get away" from 1:32 to 1:45.

I just see "Dolby System" on this copy. 422 820 006-4 R-1.

Upon first listen this tape doesn't sound great, but I didn't think any of the LPs I have sounded any better the last I pulled them out.

9. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Tough call....I'm listening to the mono mix of ANOTHER MORNING from the 45, and it sure sounds legit to me (not a fold).

10. Gorilla

Gorilla Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks Lukpac - I remembered that it was you who had talked about the cassette dub that you had made. The UK tape must be one of those "special" edits; I wonder if there are any other anomalies?

You are right about the tape not sounding great. I've heard the German LP and a US Gilbert Kong-mastered LP. Those sound pretty good, but even the DoFP songs released on CD on the "Time Traveller" boxset sound pretty wooly in comparison to the rest of the tracks. It probably doesn't help matters that everything else they recorded sounded fantastic.

I think if I put together any further needle-drop compilations of Days of Future Passed, I will use the CD versions of "Tuesday Afternoon" and "Nights in White Satin". The rest I can probably cobble together from the LPs.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I've got two US LPs, one Gilbert Kong, one Bell Sound. It's been a while, but I seem to remember the cassette actually sounding better than either of them. No distortion, and what high end is there is reproduced faithfully.

12. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I bought this LP about a year ago with about thirty other LPs and a turntable. I've just played this thing a week ago and I'm really enjoying it. I must have played it a good twenty times in seven days. The only thing I can say is that it does sound like a lot of compression was applied. There is some sort of of weird phenomenon with the high frequencies. Anyway, today I received an early West German CD of it and as soon as I put it on, I knew something was not right.

Don't get me wrong, the WG CD sounds fantastic (lush and open), but I realized that the mix was totally different. All this time I thought that my LP was the remix but when I checked the matrix number, I also spotted the G.K. initials. Turns out I had a US first pressing in Mint condition.

I must agree with many others here. The first thing that really got my goat was hearing the lonely falsetto in Evening instead of the complete harmonies. How they messed that up during the remix I can't understand.

Still, I think I've got the best of both world with my Mint LP of the original mix and the West German CD of the remix.

13. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Reviving an older thread. I've read every post on this tread and copied down the information given on how to spot an original mix. Well, I spent the past few days searching used bins for the elusive Gilbert Kong (GK) mastered version of DOFP (along with many other titles I'm looking for). Found loads upon loads of Bell versions in varying degrees of condition. Well today, I finally found the Gilbert Kong mastered edition. Haven't listened to it yet, but it's super clean and the cover is very nice as well.

Anyway, I've taken a few pictures of the label and matrix numbers. I thought it would be helpful for those looking to find this version of DOFP.

Side 1 label
    [​IMG]

Side 1 matrix number:
    [​IMG]

"GK" stamp. Interestingly, this only appears on side one.

[​IMG]

Side 2 matrix:

[​IMG]

Hope these pictures help those of you looking for an original mix.

Gumboo and xrey® like this.
  14. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Just out of curiosity, what mix was used for the domestic USA Stereo 4 Track Reel to Reel?

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Did the remix even show up on LP? If nothing else, the original mix seems to be *much* more common than the remix on LP.

16. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

I'm really wondering about this as well. I've play tested every unfamiliar post-mid '70s pressing variation of DOFP I have seen in the bins for the last year and a half (and that's a LOT of them) and have yet to find any copy with a different mix. Can someone who has this elusive beast perhaps post deadwax info for a Deram pressing that's not the original mix?

lukpac likes this.
  17. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

I do know that Producer Tony Clarke did the Quad Mix in 1972,but who did the Original '67 mix? Was it Clarke or the Engineer in charge?

18. xrey®

xrey® Forum Resident

There's even two different early 70's mono single issues of this: (1) :01 intro and it fades out; (2) unorchestrated :10 intro with cold ending. Both running around 4:20 IIRC with the same label. There was no way to distinguish the two versions except playing them. Since I couldn't find a stereo single version, I cratered and put the entire 7-1/2 minute version on cart and that's what we played on KVIL in D/FW.

19. xrey®

xrey® Forum Resident

In fact, I recall a CD with "Nights" that is missing the "gong" at the end of the album version. My jaw dropped when I played this and I don't know if I tossed the CD in a rage, or still have it. Boy I was p!ssed when I heard that (or more accurately, didn't hear that)! How something so obvious could slip past any level of quality control befuddles me to this day, but I realize there are people working on these projects that don't know the music very well (if at all), or are into hip-hop and could care less as it's just a job for them. As we all know, there are many mis-pressings and "wrong" versions in release now that all of the record companies in the world have consolidated into four majors, pretty much like other media conglomerates.

20. joachim50

joachim50 Forum Resident

I have a double LP called "The Great Moody Blues"(featuring DOFP and ISOTLC.
    I comes from Belgium on Deram Box 724/5-Y,Matrix:AA300-001 3Y 1 670 D 11 154 1(Side 1) and AA30000 4Y/1

I have no idea when this double album was released,but it is the remix!

21. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Sorry if this has been mentioned before. Do the US or any other countries cassette tape format of this album use the original 1967 mix, or are they the 1978 remix just like the CD's?

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Original mix.

Platterpus likes this.
  23. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Thanks for the info.

24. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

I remember, and I've finally found it!

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ord-threshold-dream-mono-lps-folddowns.22265/

Post #3.

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.