SH Spotlight We love LOVE! "Forever Changes" Elektra 1967 recording sessions and dates, studios, stories, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I have my old notes which are very incomplete on this album, and the people who might remember, can't, don't (or won't)!

I have few exact dates and some misc. info but this is it for me:

Alone Again Or Sunset Sound Recorders eight track 9/10/67

A House Is Not A Motel Western Recorders Four track music 8/11/67, overdubbed vocals, electric guitar, elongated drums Sunset Sound eight track 9/10/67

Andmoreagain Western Recorders four track music 6/9/67 & 6/12/67 & 8/11/67, 9/5/67 (actual track used on LP), final overdubs Sunset Sound Recorders, date unknown, September 67

The Daily Planet Western Recorders four track music 6/9/67 & 6/10/67, overdubs at Sunset Sound Recorders eight track 9/25/67

Old Man Western Recorders four track music 8/12/67, overdubs at Sunset Sound Recorders eight track 9/25/67

The Red Telephone Western Recorders four track music 8/11/67, 8/12/67, overdubs at Sunset Sound Recorders eight track 9/21/67, 9/25/67

Maybe The People Would Be The Times Or Between Clark And Hilldale Sunset Sound Recorders eight track 9/10/67

Live And Let Live Western Recorders four track music 8/11/67, overdubs at Sunset Sound, Recorders eight track, date unknown September, 1967.

The Good Humor Man He Sees Everything Like This Western Recorders four track music 8/11/67, overdubs at Sunset Sound Recorders eight track, date unknown, September, 1967.

Bummer In The Summer Western Recorders four track music 8/12/67, overdubs at Sunset Sound Recorders eight track, date unknown, September, 1967.

You Set The Scene Western Recorders four track music 8/12/67, overdubs Sunset Sound Recorders, date unknown, September, 1967.

The Wonder People (I Do Wonder) Western Recorders four track music, 8/11/67, overdubs at Sunset Sound Recorders, 9/25/67

SUNSET SOUND RECORDERS ENGINEER: BRUCE BOTNICK (Co-Producer)
    WESTERN RECORDERS ENGINEER: JOHN HANEY
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Western Recorders backing tracks: 9/5/67 UNISSUED ELECTRIC REMAKE no vocals:
    1. Andmoreagain.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wonder People (I Do Wonder) was meant to have a sound similar to "It's Not Unusual" and "You've Got Your Troubles" (Fortunes).

I've heard it was Freddie Hill or Jack Sheldon (trumpet solo) on Between Clark & Hilldale.

Something for this album, overdub or whatever might have been recorded at T.T.G./Sunset-Highland Studios, 1441 No. McCadden Place. No idea what!

Now, I know that these were bumped over to a Sunset Sound tape by Bruce Botnick where vocals were added and other instrumentation added but what about the rest of the songs? Why was Andmoreagain (remake) still at Western at that late date? Why not just use Sunset Sound Recorders? Who was in charge of the Western Recorders sessions? Not Bruce Botnick (co-producer of the album), he worked at Sunset. Not Neil Young (who people say was involved). Elektra certainly wouldn't have allowed co-producer Arthur Lee to go it without supervision, or did they?

Any other information on any of the songs would be much appreciated, both from SH Forum members and others possibly reading this on the Internet. If there is info already out there, please point me in the right direction.

No, I am not working on this album. Just years of curiosity.

2. Steve Hoffman

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

zobalob and bhazen like this.
  3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Very cool to have even this much info! You wouldn't by any chance be working on your own mastering of this, would you?

4. Steve Hoffman

No, sorry.

5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Just an FYI...Steve mastered the alternate mix of the album for the 2008 Deluxe Edition...see disc 2, tracks 1 1.

lemonade kid likes this.
  6. action pact

Oh well... between the 2CD and recent vinyl, this album has already been well-served.

funknik likes this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

Maybe MoFi will do it?

8. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

a no brainer, IMO.

lemonade kid likes this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Well, Audio Fidelity passed because of the deluxe edition that was issued. Believe it or not, sales of this type of stuff is not through the roof, far from it.. I wish I could say otherwise, FC is one of my favorite albums of all time.

10. action pact

The deluxe edition is a heckuva bargain. I got mine at Newbury Comics for $9.99 - all of their stores seem to stock it too.

11. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Thanks for the info - very interesting. An all-time great album.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  12. ceddy10165

In fact, this forum is what turned me on to the album, if I recall correctly. As a student of music, and a lover of 60s pop, I can't believe this incredible record escaped my awareness all those years. It's as good as any other "best" album of the era, and totally unique unto itself.

timind and lemonade kid like this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

Myke, where did your post go? No problem, mate, we don't all like the same thing...

ceddy10165 likes this.
  14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I thought it might be misconstrued as a threadcrap, no problem. Hey...it took me 44 years to appreciate The Band, but for the last 3 days I can't get enough !?!? One day, I'll put it on, and it'll hit me ! I do hear the usual smoothness of Disc 2 at least.

MAYBEIMAMAZED and ceddy10165 like this.
  15. ceddy10165

The other thing, is that sometimes it takes years for things to "dawn" on you, as long as you keep trying them. It literally took me over 20 years to finally "get" The Beach Boys, but when I did it changed my life and I accumulated every note of music of theirs I could. I'd think this could easily happen with Love too - their music is not instantly easy or obvious to me. You have to kind of surrender to their unique worldview and tone to get the full affect.

Cracklebarrel and gramfan like this.
  16. ceddy10165

Funny that was your reply - I was busy typing the same thing at the same time!

Myke likes this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

I heard the song ALONE AGAIN OR when it was first released, my best buddy's older brother had it for some reason, first stereo 45 I had ever seen. At any rate, a year later (had to have been 1969) when I heard the LP on my Zenith it just sounded like soft, mushy poopoo to me.

It vanished from my brain until like 1973 or so when I had my license and a car (VW Bug) I was driving with this girl I liked at night for the first time over Malibu Canyon to the beach (she had no idea I was a newbie in that regard) and she had a car tape of FOREVER CHANGES with side one as side two and so on, all jumbled up (to fit on the tape cart correctly, I guess) in her purse (it was her favorite album at that moment, why, don't know) and we played it constantly through the night, driving around PCH and then stopping at that Jack In The Box (still there), munching onion rings, etc. in the car and then parking at the beach and making out for a few hours while the tape played (I had no money whatsoever).

The album burned into my brain, I suddenly heard the lyrics, found the greatness and it's been a part of me since. The girl (was crazy about her but she had a steady boyfriend) had great taste in music, since she wanted to bring the tape with us as make out music but it was much more than that. It was a totally unique album, unlike any other before or after.

At any rate, that's my story!

18. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I'm just young enough that I discovered "Alone Again Or" via the Damned cover of it. Then, bought a Rhino "Golden Archive Series", which I think was the only Love in print in the mid-80s.

19. RedRaider99

RedRaider99 Forum Resident

I just discovered this one several years ago. I guess it is under appreciated because I also picked up that Rhino reissue cheap in the used bins recently. I was instantly a fan when I first listened, but I agree with some of the above posts this one really gets even better over time.

Steve, I'm just disappointed you aren't doing this one-- I'd buy it again for sure.

20. Steve Hoffman

Thank God for Rhino, they brought a lot of forgotten stuff back into print at that time.

21. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

I posted this in another thread a while ago, but I think it belongs here.

I discovered (although it took a while) Forever Changes via the first edition of The Rolling Stone Record Guide in the late '70s. I was (and am) a big fan of Ian Hunter and Mott the Hoople. The Guide's review of Mott (my favorite MtH album) compared it favorably to Love's FC as a "perfect mood album". I mentally filed away the band & album name, but didn't act until a few decades later.

On first listening, I was kicking myself for having waited so long. Easily on my short list of favorite albums by any band. Oddly, I don't listen to it as often as I do some other favorites; I have to be in the right frame of mind.

22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The first time Rhino brought Love back from the dead was the late '70. That's when they issued their first Love compilation (this preceded Golden Archive by a number of years). At that point, there wasn't a note of Love in print in any format. Very common back then. People who grew up in the digital age don't have any idea. Imagine not a single Four Seasons record in print. Maybe 5-6 Miles Davis titles in print. No Stooges. No Badfinger. Not a single original '60s Beach Boys album. Etc. etc. That's how it was back then. Unless stuff sold big and consistently, it went out of print and that was the end of that. Rhino banked on the idea that there were people who would still buy "catalog" product and they were so right.

23. Steve Hoffman

That's right. The late 1970s was the first time so much of the music we love now came into print again. We are so spoiled now. I remember hearing about groups (reading Rolling Stone, etc.) and I couldn't even buy ONE of their records until then. Different now, eh? We complain about stuff going out of print right now but back then when it stopped selling, it was cut out of the catalog without mercy.

24. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I remember growing up with the Stooges & MC5 as local legends (Detroit area) and while the Stooges albums were in print, you would have to pay $50 for a scratched up, abused copy of "Back in the USA". I never heard an actual MC5 album until the CDs came out.

kozy814 likes this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

We had "Ray Avery's Rare Records" to buy stuff that was out of print but Ray wasn't into rock, but if you wanted a Byrd 78 and had 60 bucks, it was yours. Youch.

AlienRendel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.