Black Cat Lectraline Interconnect Review

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

Having upgraded the system to Black Cat NeoMorpheus interconnect and Morpheus speaker cables, I was curious what the change to the solid core silver Lectraline cables would do. So far I have replaced the interconnect between my Benchmark DAC1 Pre and the Ref 3 preamp with the new Lectraline which has several improvements in shielding and other design but the same "Xhadow-like" RCA connectors. This cable will be in the $350 a meter pair range so not real budget but very reasonable for solid silver wire.

Once I placed this pair into the system, I really noticed it, probably a nice 30% or so improvement it felt like. There is much more detail coming through but not with a tilted up or glareness added like some silver wires add. There is much more instrument separation. Bass was better defined and punchy. I really noticed it on the new audiophile chestnut Keith Don't Go from Nils Lofgren's Acoustic Live. The audience interplay is really fun at times and much more clear and present with this cable. It sounds much more like a real venue now with lots of depth and width. This is a more neutral cable but some may prefer the warmth of the NeoMorpheus cable.

The NeoMorpheus cable is a tremendous value for around $235 per meter pair but this was a whole other level of performance. I tend to like well done silver cables but I'm reluctant to spend thousands of dollars per interconnect pair so this offering is perfect for me. The build quality is spectacular with a nice blue and black design at the ends and a gorgeous tightly woven black nylon outer layer. The new Xhadow-like connectors form a nice tight fit on the dac and preamp.

I have talked to my friend and Black Cat owner Chris Sommovigo and he is gearing up production in January after a recent strong introductory price for Black Cat email subscribers. I think he plans to offer some Lectraline speaker cable at some point and I will post my thoughts on that when I can afford to buy a 3m run.

Anyway, if you want to try a very reasonably priced silver interconnect around $300, this cable should be on your short list.

I should add that Chris feels this cable exceeds his prior Stereolab/Stereovox Reference cables which sold for big bucks so its quite a value.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Chris set me up with LectraLine speaker wire, and three pairs of various sizes RCA interconnects.

Today, feeling better, I fully switched my listening room system over to complete LectraLine wire.

Very beautiful sound for not much money. I'm impressed so far. Very natural sound. Not what I expected at all.

http://www.stereolab.us/lectraline-2/

3. LeeS

Glad you liked it Steve. I have tried a lot and have stayed with this cable.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

Yes, I'm enjoying the sound. Non-fatiguing, accurate, very musical. Chris is sending me some of his upscale interconnect to compare. Should be interesting.

LeeS likes this.
  5. LeeS

I just spoke to him and he told me he sent you some Master Reference. I'm a bit jealous-I've seen the cable and it is quite nice. Possibly an upgrade for me soon.

6. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

What is the price of the Master Reference? I too want to hear these new cables!

7. Steve Hoffman

8. ServingTheMusic

9. triple

triple Senior Member

$1500 for a 1m interconnect is not much money? Heh, I wish I could say that myself.

Anyway, the 1m spdif digital cable from the same series at $500 seems reasonable. Makes me surious as to how much improvement it brings over my XV2 cables.

I also have biwire jumpers from the old Reference line and they are realy good.

GroovinGarrett likes this.
  10. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

He was talking about the LectraLine in that post. Way less.

11. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

How does the Black Cat LectraLine interconnects compare to Mogami IC?

12. triple

triple Senior Member

LeeS said that "he" had been sent Master Reference stuff. Whatever.

13. LeeS

Much better. I've had both.

sushimaster likes this.
  14. LeeS

Chris has sent Steve both Lectraline and Master Reference cables to try.

15. Steve Hoffman

I received a pair of Stereolab Master Reference interconnects to try. I'll compare and contrast with Black Cat ElectraLine and report back.

LeeS likes this.
  16. ServingTheMusic

Thanks Steve. May I ask what your current references are?

17. Steve Hoffman

On my profile info.

18. ServingTheMusic

Ah, thanks..Kubula etc...

Definitely interested in your thoughts on the Stereolab Master Reference. Chris S. is a brilliant guy.

19. LeeS

Thanks Steve. Look forward to your thoughts.

20. unchilled

unchilled Well-Known Member

Hi Steve and Lee,
    Have either of you compared the Lectraline interconnect with Grover Huffman's ZX, and if yes, how would you contrast them? I'm currently using Grover phono interconnect between tonearm and preamp and BEL interconnect between preamp and power amp.
    Thanks,
    Harvey

21. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I bought a Lectraline interconnect to try between my new Esoteric CD/SACD player and my preamp. I like it a lot and have to agree with Steve's description of the sound above.

There didn't seem to be a lot of break-in as I have experienced with some cable. It has been in use for several days now and what I hear is that is that it has gotten a smidge smoother. Especially on treble in symphonic recordings. The detail is excellent on jazz recordings as on cymbals, drums, guitar etc.

At about the third hour of listening, I ran the 19 minute disc from Ayre - Ayre Irrational, but Efficacious! Version 1.2 - a disc mainly for the glide tone.
    To my ears, the sound really opened up.

Thanks Steve and LeeS for posting about the Lectraline.

LeeS and Steve Hoffman like this.
  22. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

This is the hollow wire (increased surface area) right? I almost went for some. Glad folks are enjoying it. Very interested in the reports.

23. LeeS

Glad to help out. I really enjoy my Black Cat Lectraline cables. I'm now considering the Master Reference...

P.S. Chris the owner is a huge jazz guy so it's not surprising it does well with jazz but then again it does well with everything I've thrown at it.

24. Steve Hoffman

Dunno, I think he really hit it out of the ballpark with the Lectraline. Don't think you need to worry.

25. LeeS

Okay thanks Steve. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.